Leupold Mark 4 6-24X52 mini drop eval

ID_Matt

WKR
This is the first time I’ve dropped a scope so bare with me…. I’ll try to follow the normal protocol as best as I can while providing some subjective feelings as well.

Have had this scope for a few months now. I would guess it has around 400 rounds through it in a 6.5 creed between NRL hunter competitions and practice shooting. This scope was not given to me, it was purchased form Euro optic.

Subjective thoughts: If you have ever used a mark 5, you’ll know. These scopes are extremely user friendly. The zero stop system is the easiest to re-set as any other scope I’ve used apart from maybe the razor gen 3. It’s not tool less, but doesn’t require removing a cap or messing with a clutch system. Parallax knob is easy to manipulate and marked for yardage. Glass is good. I’m not too picky on that part, but it seemed to resolve holes on paper better than my other scopes this day.

Rifle and bedding:

Rifle is a 6.5 creed built on a lone peak fuzion (integral rail) and an XLR chassis that has the recoil lug bedded.

D4B4A34E-833F-4177-B9CD-697BB7949469.jpeg

Turrets:

Exposed and Locking elevation and windage. Revolution indicated by the locking piece.

4CF810D8-67F4-490A-8973-A62529A8CF3F.jpeg

Reticle:

This model was the PR-2 which is a typical Christmas tree type, though less cluttered than most probably. Hashmarks are .25 mils. Can’t say I’m in love with 1/4 mil reticle, but I’m slowly getting used to it with practice. The reticle definitely gets thin below 10X like most competition style reticles I’m used to. Don’t have pictures of the reticle but if someone really wants i can attempt take some. It’s a pretty well documented reticle so should be some out there on the Googles.

Drop evaluation:

Scope is mounted in warne mountain tech pic rings. 20 lbs loctited on the caps and 65 in lbs on the rail screws. Action has an integral rail, so no concerns there.

Drop surface was a 1”ish bed roll with a thin shooting mat over the top. Dirt was hard packed with no give.

51A29B82-98FC-4D42-9C39-358DE6762F2C.jpeg

Zero group: 8 rounds at the 1.5” dot. Wind was pushing pretty heavy at 10-20 mph so not the best group size, but gives you an idea of the cone. This gun is usually right around 1” for 10 shots but the wind and caffeine intake didn’t do any favors today. I should have moved .1” left but the wind was enough that i didn’t mess with it.

172D9A98-62F6-4C48-8632-D0B004CC069F.jpeg

Did the standard 18” drop on left side, top, and right side with a shot in between each, then dropped on all 3 and shot 1 more.

42130904-F750-4A8D-80EB-22BCAB56C6AF.jpeg

Moved on to the 36” drops and did the exact same for a total of 8 rounds.

CE272A62-FA92-4A1D-B954-B9DB94E10E1A.jpeg

The pictures dropping are screenshots from a video. If i get ambitious, I’ll figure out how to post the videos to YouTube.

Results from 18” and 36” drops

17503030-2C0B-495F-A21A-8BB21A359D80.jpeg

Last thoughts… the 36” drop is nerve wracking. There was a bit of a bounce and it sounds like your gun is falling apart. I wish I’d have moved my zero .1” so everything was in the dot, but I still think it was telling enough. I’m calling it a pass for this half-ass eval. The top shot definitely looks outside of the group, but in my opinion is within the cone of the zero group. I’ll keep shooting the scope and monitoring.

Last last thoughts… i realize I’m wearing a Leupold hat. Total bonehead move that I didn’t realize until the video. I’m not sponsored, and again, I paid for the scope. For proof, here’s what the other guns are wearing:

D8ED5A45-4431-4D6A-9E54-BD51B8681E53.jpeg

Last edited:
The hat makes it so much better. Thanks for beating up your gear and sharing the results. Looking forward to hearing how it holds long term.

You the man! Everyone knows Leopold has fantastic customer service, good looking products, etc. If the durability/reliability is there and repeatable over thousands of rounds they will own an even bigger portion of the market. Hopefully they have made “something to be proud of”with the mark4 hd at the end of the day. Thanks for risking your gun for the greater good!

Last edited:
This really wasn’t the result I was expecting. I’d love that 2.5-10x if more data comes out saying it’ll hold.
I was fully expecting some sort of shift, especially from the 36" drops.

Yeah, I'm really interested in that 2.5-10. I might have to pick one up and test it out.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Do it!!!!

why? Seems like a pretty standard 0.1 thick Mil reticle?

I'm not a huge fan of the empty square in the middle vs a floating dot but other than that it seems pretty standard?
I can already tell it won't be usable against broken backgrounds under 10 power (like the NF Mil-C), which begs the question why not 10x SWFA. Anyway it's good to have options. Will let you guys know how it goes.

-J

I can already tell it won't be usable against broken backgrounds under 10 power (like the NF Mil-C), which begs the question why not 10x SWFA. Anyway it's good to have options. Will let you guys know how it goes.

-J

I don't understand why it wouldn't be useable unless their dimension specs are incorrect? It's a 0.1 mil thick reticle like many thicker hunting centric FFP designs. Same as Maven SHR-MIL and thicker than the mil-quad on a 3-9 SS that is only 0.07 MIL. I'd not want a reticle to be any thicker.

For clarity, talking about the 2.5-10 FFP TMR reticle.

I ordered up the 2.5-10 FFP with TMR reticle today. I will admit that Rokslide opened my eyes to why so many riflescopes were losing zero. I chased down rings, mounts, and scopes unknowingly. Looking back what a waste of life and ammo.

I should have it in hand late tomorrow. Have never purposely dropped a rifle.. Will see if I can work up the balls!

Now my SWFA 3-9 I have been waiting for two years will show up.. Because that's how shit works!

Last edited:
Back