Leupold CDS or Vortex

One other thing to think about in FFP vs. SFP is wind holds... 95% of the time, we are dialing elevation correction using turrets, and holding wind corrections in our reticle. During hunting season I've even started taping my wind adjustment turret as I've seen them get turned a few clicks pulling out of the truck or from the case. While it's true you'll likely be shooting at max power 80% of the time, I've been in situations where the mirage was so bad we've had to shoot around 10-12X instead of 24x (or max zoom). It's really nice to know that holding that 1/2Mil for wind is always going to be 1/2Mil no matter was magnification you are on. Granted the reticle does get down there pretty small around 6X, but it's easily manageable. I've also had situations where I've bailed out of the pickup to shoot a yote and used my reticle for a holdover correction instead of taking the time to click up my turrets. Nice to not worry about what magnification you are on...

If money is tight, SFP will work just fine, you just got to be mindful of the limits of that system. It's extremely easy to get caught up in the moment and forget to zoom in all the way, or forget you already dialed up, or forgot to check to see if your windage turret got turned...etc I know from experience how many things can go wrong in that situation and its best to reduce the possibility of error or forgetting a factor.

Mike

wapitibob

WKR
I'm a range, dial, bang guy. I tried the moa stuff last year and the added step of range, calculate, dial, shoot was a pain. I like a simple reticle also, cross hair with windage hash. Both the Leupy and Vortex will work well for you.

OP
crumy

crumy

WKR
Just thought I would follow up on this post since today I just took the plunge and made my decision. I purchased the viper 4-16 ffp pst today. I am on a business trip and knew I would be near a cabelas so I brought my 300 along for the drive. Had them put it on and I am loving it. Now I have to sit in my hotel room and stare at my rifle until I get home to shoot it. Pretty pathetic sounding when you see it typed out :) That is the only piece of gear besides a spotting scope that I needed and I am 100% (laughing as I type it) DONE with buying any gear this year. Waiting on spotter until I see if I draw the area I am hoping for.

I know the scope is on the overkill side of what I will be using it for for 80% of the time, but it will give me something to do at the range and practice with. That way if I have an opportunity at a longer shot I will at least feel more comfortable with it.

wapitibob

WKR
It'll take about 2 minutes to realize its not I overkill. I use a 14 power Greybull and wouldn't go less for love or money.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
That is an awesome scope, and because it is FFP, you can use the reticle at any power.

Good choice.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
That is the only piece of gear besides a spotting scope that I needed and I am 100% (laughing as I type it) DONE with buying any gear this year.

Yeah, right. Someone is going to come out with something you can't live without or the GIF will pop up unexpectedly and convince you to buy something.