Leupold Alumina Caps on a NF NX8 Scope

Gobber

FNG
After a bit of searching to see if anyone had a way to use Alumina scope caps on a NF, I ran across a discussion here on Rokslide -
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/leupold-alumina-covers-on-non-leupold-scopes.260355/

I picked up the 50mm Alumina that threaded right into place and works really well.

What I really wanted was the Alumina rear ocular cap. I have one on an old Leupold scope that I have had for years and it has held up very well. I gave the Tenebrex caps a go for a few months, but they didn't seal well and were no where near the design quality of the Alumina's. In keeping with the theme of this sub - 'If you can't buy it, make it'. I did begin a write up of this little project over in the Optics sub, but since it's really a DIY project, figured it fit better here. Don't want to anger the Mod Gods by stepping over any cross posting lines, so here is a short summary.

Started with a few bits and pieces -

After a simple wet Carbon Fiber layup and a bit of sanding and polishing that is described in the above post, ended up with a usable first version -

I used a strip of thick adhesive vinyl tape to protect the surface of the scope tube and provide a tight friction fit for the adapter ring -

As mentioned in the original post, my thought to create a set of threads for the Alumina cap to engage with the inner wall of the CF adapter ring was a thin layer of epoxy putty (PC7). It took two tries, but was able to set the threaded retaining ring of the Alumina into the putty at the right depth and back it out when the putty was firm but not cured.

It works quite well in that the PC7 grips the threads without damaging them and makes for a very snug fitment. It is not as rock hard as a proper threaded aluminum inside surface. I would say it is 90-95% as solid, which works fine for my needs. It is still reversible in that there is not a permanent mechanical lock and I can remove the Alumina ring without damage to the fine threaded ring.

Now thinking about whether to make it all black with automotive epoxy paint or leave it raw.

Plan is to use it for a while and see how it holds up once fully cured. Fun project!

Last edited:
OP
Gobber

Gobber

FNG
After a bit of use, I am happy with the outcome of this little project. After putting the scope wrap back on, it works for my purposes. And yes, I like to Wrap That Rascal.

The back cap doesn't lay flat against the scope tube, but it can't.
The function of the Alumina is so much better than anything else out there.

A bit of a sleeper, but definitely a keeper!

Last edited: