Let’s talk tripods….

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a heavy manfrotto 290 xtra with a MH804-3W head on it years ago. It has a three way head and all the adjustment handles are only like four inches long. Long story short, it’s heavy and a pain in the ass to setup quickly. Some might like it as a starter like I did or where weight isn’t an issue, but I’m looking for a good backpack setup that can be deployed quickly and has rigid anchoring. I’m thinking of going with a carbon fiber setup and I like the Sirui VA-5 head. Obviously outdoorsman, Sirui, Slik, etc makes a great product, but I was wondering what you other guys are using and what head configuration you’ve found most user friendly.?

I've been using the suirui 2204 with va5 head for a couple years ans really like it.. ordered a slik 734? Last year to toy with as it's just a hair taller and I wanted something I could stand up and glass with. My 2204 was a touch short and I hunched over.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I use a sirui tripod with the center column removed, and the new tricer LP I just got will be replacing my benro s2 head

Firestone

WKR
I have used a Berno slim for few years and it's not bad. The ball head that came with it is a POS, don't plan on using it for anything, stick with the sirui va5

Pan heads for glassing
Ball heads for shooting
Really Right Stuff for tripods

For a head if you are wanting to go light weight there is the Wiser head and the new Tricer head. They might be worth checking out.

I use a RRS TVC-34L MK2 tripod with BH-55/SCLR head. She is not light but I wouldn't have it any other way. I have ARCA on my binos, spotting scope, and rifle. I can switch between them all in seconds.

TEWONG

FNG
Agree w/ redneckbmxer24... I run a RRS Ascend 14 + BH-40 combo - super solid for glassing and shooting.

Silk carbon tripod currently. Have used a few different heads and tripods over the years and was using a Outdoorsman for about A decade due to bino studs and adapters. Outdoorsman is nice and well machined but a little heavy.
Switched a few years ago to Spartan. Davos head on tripod. Spartan adapters on rifles and HD adapter mount on Swaro Spotting scope. Adapter on Outdoorsman bino mount. Now it’s one system on tripod for rifle, spotter and binos.

BowHiking

FNG
Second for the Slik 634 and Sirui VA-5 head, it’s been a great setup for me.

On a side note, I did have a leg loosen to the point of falling out and found that getting the guide sleeves and leg stoppers back installed correctly was a real PITA. Since then I’ve been more careful about ensuring all legs are tight when trekking around and I have not had any issues.

At work we would use a monster Vortex or Swaro scope on a heavy video tripod. When I’m hunting by myself I bring a Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50. The scope is light so the tripod is too: IMG_9624.jpeg
Carbon legs with aluminum hardware. No plastic. Extends high enough. Aoka brand. Center column removed and head replaced with a Slik pan head. 16.6oz. For caribou I just need to tell between cow and young bull, and anything I can’t see with 33 power will be gone by the time I walk there, so this works for me.