Let’s talk temp ranges for layers…

What temp range to pull out bibs and heavy layering?

• 0-10 f

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • 11-20 f

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • 21-30 f

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • 31-40 f

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
What temp range do you need to be in to pull out your warm bibs and layer up when stand hunting? I’ve been exploring several layering options to avoid getting into bibs just because I feel too heavy in gear and certainly more noisy when drawling back. I have FL sanctuary bibs and they are quiet for a heavy setup, just not the same though when I can layer with lighter gear. Curious everyone’s layering and again, how cold when you pull the heavier insulated gear out. Obviously some of the feedback will vary because some people just run hotter than others.

*zap*

WKR
Some days with the same temp are colder than others....wind, humidity, got sweaty and etc. Better to bring the heavy outerwear and vent it if necessary if it is under freezing. Jmo.

Drenalin

WKR
I’m good to freezing or a little below, but into the 20s starts to feel bitter. That’s when I wear heavier layers. If there’s a stiff wind, I might need them for slightly warmer temps too.

ForlohFamily

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

I have the solitude set and I start wearing then at 40 and can go all the way 0. Over the last 2 years I've really worked on my laying system.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
So, you come on threads and do not contribute to the question at all other than to push year gear. Yet in other treads when directly quoted and asked questions about your gear you have no reply???

Buckhead

FNG
I have a set of Sitka Fanatic coat/bibs and also FL solitude coat/ bibs. Deer season is almost over and I haven’t used the Fanatic set this season. Usually switch to bibs when temps get 35 degrees or so. Hunting in N Georgia, it only gets below freezing in December- January. Have found that with proper layering, I can handle down to high teens or so with the Solitude.

The Fanatic set is warmer than the Solitude, however, bulkier and the Berber catches on every briar. Have considered selling the set, but got such a good deal, it couldn’t be replaced at a reasonable cost. Probably needed as I have opportunities to hunt Iowa every now and then, that is why I hold onto it.

Last edited:
OP
L

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
I have a set of Sitka Fanatic coat/bibs and also FL solitude coat/ bibs. Deer season is almost over and I haven’t used the Fanatic set this season. Usually switch to bibs when temps get 35 degrees or so. Hunting in N Georgia, it only gets below freezing in December- January. Have found that with proper layering, I can handle down to high teens or so with the Solitude.

The Fanatic set is warmer than the Solitude, however, bulkier and the Berber catches on every briar. Have considered selling the set, but got such a good deal, it couldn’t be replaced at a reasonable cost. Probably needed as I have opportunities to hunt Iowa every now and then, that is why I hold onto it.
What size is the set? 😁

If its still (no wind) and no precipitation I walk into my spots just in base layers. When I get to my spot I want to set up, or where I am going to really put on a stalk, I put on my next layer. Then, if I intend on sitting I'll add bibs if its in the 20s or lower, or 30s and windy. Otherwise I just do a merino base layer for pant and shirt, then a Stratus pant, jacket, and merino beanie (no wind) or balaclava (windy).

I'm a freeze baby, but I roast when active. So basically I have 2 "sets" of clothing

Active hunts, I wear very little. Base layer appropriate for the temp and moisture management goals, (merino in the heat, synthetic in the cold) and a light to mid weight mid layer +/- baselayer bottoms and a wind proof layer like a jetstream vest etc.

Yesterday for example, scouting and she'd hunting with the dogs. A couple miles walked slow. Winds in the 20s with temps in the 30s. Uninsulated leather boots, midweight merino socks. Mountain pant, lightweight long sleeve base layer and jetstream jacket.

I'll add a grid fleece or similar as needed.

For stationary, I fricken love bibs. I'll have stratus bibs on at 50 degrees to protect my core from the wind and then I can wear less overall layers and be more comfortable.

30 and below, I need a heated vest with good bibs and boots for sitting on the stand. I'd roast walking in with that on so I pack it and put in on at the tree.