Let’s talk Mausers! (K98)

Tristan

FNG
K98 Mauser predating many of our favorite spin offs like the super smooth Springfield 1903A3, the bold Remington 1917, venerable Winchester m70 ect.. let’s see you mauser Sporters specifically, what have you done with them maybe some before and afters!

I don't have anything of 'before' for this rifle as I bought it off a bloke who had it all built already. It's a 9.3x62 built on an FN '98 action. I don't know much else about the action but I know a lot of the parts on it are Recknagel, including the 25in barrel. The stock was made by the bloke who had it before me.

I primarily load 286gn Woodleigh PPSN in it for just shy of 2,400fps. I've used it to take pigs, deer, goats, scrub bulls and a few brumbies. I originally put a Zeiss Terra 3-9x42mm on it but it messed with the balance so ended up with a Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20 now which is a much better choice.

It's a fantastic rifle and I need to use it more often but if I'm not bowhunting these days I'm using my wife's .243 as it's a reliable meat getter and a dream to shoot.

Anyway, here are some pictures of me with my FN '98. I won't post anything with the brumbies as that could break the internet.

Scrubber.

Best boar I've got with the rifle.

In sambar country. I'll be down that way again in a few weeks but I'm backpacking in so I'm taking my .300WM with me as it's much nicer to carry.

Mojave

WKR
I don't have anything of 'before' for this rifle as I bought it off a bloke who had it all built already. It's a 9.3x62 built on an FN '98 action. I don't know much else about the action but I know a lot of the parts on it are Recknagel, including the 25in barrel. The stock was made by the bloke who had it before me.

I primarily load 286gn Woodleigh PPSN in it for just shy of 2,400fps. I've used it to take pigs, deer, goats, scrub bulls and a few brumbies. I originally put a Zeiss Terra 3-9x42mm on it but it messed with the balance so ended up with a Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20 now which is a much better choice.

It's a fantastic rifle and I need to use it more often but if I'm not bowhunting these days I'm using my wife's .243 as it's a reliable meat getter and a dream to shoot.

Anyway, here are some pictures of me with my FN '98. I won't post anything with the brumbies as that could break the internet.

Scrubber.

In sambar country. I'll be down that way again in a few weeks but I'm backpacking in so I'm taking my .300WM with me as it's much nicer to carry.

A friend got smacked by a big king brown in Victoria a few years ago chasing sambar.

When I lived in Canberra, we used to hunt in Victoria and I never saw a snake but we only hunted in the winter time.

Biggest snake I saw in Aus was near the NASA/CSRO facility on the west side of town. Was about 9-10 feet of brown. Looked like an anaconda!

11boo

WKR
I had a Russian captured 98, the bore was trashed. Thought about re barreling, but some guy really wanted it and a 90$ rifle was sold for 500.
Still had the nazi markings intact, but threw a pattern not a group.

Wapiti1

WKR
Here are a few that I built over the years.

Side View.jpg
1910 Mexican action, Shilen barrel in 7X57, Timney trigger, 2 pos Wisner safety, curly maple stock. Sadly, I broke the stock, or more correctly a horse broke it. It's now just an action again waiting on inspiration.

9.6x64 rear small.jpg
9.3X64 Brenneke built on a VZ24 action, 25" Lothar Walther barrel, Dayton Trigger, 2 pos Wisner safety, curly claro walnut stock, Argentine hinged bottom metal. Has since been checkered, and taken to quite a few places including Africa.

right side small.jpg

.375 Ruger, VZ24 action, Douglas barrel at 21", Dayton trigger, Wisner 2 pos safety, custom bottom metal I converted to hinged, swapped in a Mark X bolt, English walnut stock, has since been checkered. Never hunted. The owner, a good friend, that I built it for passed away 2 years ago. Don't know if his son will ever hunt with it. I'd love to get it back if he ever sells it, but that will never happen.

Jeremy

Pulled this out of my Grandpa's safe few years after he passed. It is an FN 98 action rebarreled 264 Win Mag. No idea on the history, but it had a crack behind the tang right where those pins are. I relieved the tang area, epoxied the crack, and added the pins. I took it out to work up a basic load to find that the extractor was opened up too much for the magnum bold face and it would just drop empty shells right on top of the follower :(. Also it doesn't shoot all that well. I took it out once, said "Alright I shot 1 deer with Grandpa's old Mauser" then put it back for later. I'm told Grandpa liked the stock because it has an inlaid deer figure covered in resin on the other side, so that does add some sentimental value. But it will be some years before I'm ready to dump enough $$ into it for another barrel and new extractor. Also while I'm sure a very strong action, the milsurp looseness of the action doesn't have me iching to spend money on it.

r1CDddr.jpg

2445cb516b971d162162f036c0afc39b.jpg

This is a n M96, not an M98 but still a Mauser. Made in 1910 but a great shooter in 6.5x55. I shaped the inletted stock and added a decelerator pad, ebony forend, and full glass bedding for my son. Also rebarreled with a shilen 25.5” prethreaded #2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wyoming Nimrod

Lil-Rokslider

Scrubber.

Beautiful tiger stripe wooden stock. Cheers, mate

Wyoming Nimrod

Lil-Rokslider
Pulled this out of my Grandpa's safe few years after he passed. It is an FN 98 action rebarreled 264 Win Mag. No idea on the history, but it had a crack behind the tang right where those pins are. I relieved the tang area, epoxied the crack, and added the pins. I took it out to work up a basic load to find that the extractor was opened up too much for the magnum bold face and it would just drop empty shells right on top of the follower :(. Also it doesn't shoot all that well. I took it out once, said "Alright I shot 1 deer with Grandpa's old Mauser" then put it back for later. I'm told Grandpa liked the stock because it has an inlaid deer figure covered in resin on the other side, so that does add some sentimental value. But it will be some years before I'm ready to dump enough $$ into it for another barrel and new extractor. Also while I'm sure a very strong action, the milsurp looseness of the action doesn't have me iching to spend money on it.

r1CDddr.jpg
That is a helluva whitetail. Congrats

NICKJ

WKR
M98
Made in Germany in 1941
ED700856-6F7F-41C4-B2BF-DA0DB30ABC3B.jpeg
I was gifted this from a family friend, complete with the handtooled stock
61DCAB81-C7D3-447F-9473-6A7504394C43.jpeg

49ereric

WKR
42 K98 sporterized 8mm/338 mag
44 K98 sporterized matching bolt and receiver still in 8x57
no pics cuz not pretty rifles.

Last edited:

dneaster3

FNG
I have several… 7x57 through 416 Rigby. Interarms Mark X’s, CZ 550’s, BRNO, and a military surplus K98 action. Some factory, some customized. Wood and fiberglass stocks. All of them flawless performers and outstanding shooters, despite my skills.

If the Mauser brothers did not perfect the bolt action rifle, they surely got 98% of the way there. (See what I did there? 🤓)

Deucebump

WKR
Not a 98, but a Zastava M70 copy that I build for a customer in 25-06. Not sure where he got the stock, but it was beautiful wood, I did all the action/barrel work and bluing. Shot sub 1/2 moa.

20A7B03D-DEB7-4DE6-A1AC-7D93359896D3.jpeg

Attachments

• 20A7B03D-DEB7-4DE6-A1AC-7D93359896D3.jpeg
    20A7B03D-DEB7-4DE6-A1AC-7D93359896D3.jpeg
    260.2 KB · Views: 11