Let’s talk gun cases

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Airline travel with a bush flight after I used a pelican 1750 with a soft case in it as others have noted and yes you can't put a ton more weight in there afterwards but you can put more in than if if did specifically cut foam.

I have an apache case too I use vehicle based travel and like it but one thing to keep in mind for airline travel is looking at how many locking points a case has and what length locks are needed to make sure the combination doesn't allow someone to pry it open far enough to get access.

I have a Game Winner (Academy brand) hard case that I am pretty sure is a rebranded Plano. It has an o-ring seal and 4 lock locations. I have flown with it 3 times now, once to TX, once to CO and once to Canada. No problems any of those times.

Original foam in it and no extra clothes. It helps that I have been Platinum on Delta forever so I get 3 checked bags for free, so I don't have to worry about having too much luggage.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’ve flown with gun cases for 20 years now.

Hundreds of flights. Airlines are ruthless on them. Get a legit water proof case that can withstand a beating. Good latches that are low profile and won’t break. Made from good quality thick plastic. Do not remove the main foam or custom cut it to a specific gun.

This unit below has lasted 10 or so years now and minimum 20 flights per year. Rain and snow don’t bother it. Lots of hard drops and rifles stay zeroed. Wheels that actually work and don’t break for rolling through the parking lot while also trying to carry or roll another bag are very handy.

It can carry two bolt action rifles, 2 or 3 mags per gun, 100 rounds of ammo per gun or 11 lbs max for FAA, RF binos/kestrel/short bipod in bino harness, cardboard 8” target, pistol, pistol mag and ammo, holster, kill kit, rear field bag, and more. I usually throw in gloves, beanie, and other random stuff in there as well.

Remove the extra thin layer of foam and leave the thick bottom foam and egg crate style top lid foam and latch it up. Zero fuss. Buy once cry once on a good rifle case.

IMG_9157.jpeg

IMG_9156.jpeg

Macintosh

WKR
Plano 1750. Ive used the cut it yourself foam all but once, I got a inexpensive replacement foam last time I flew. I put two scoped hunting rifles, 2boxes ammo each (4 total), slings, 2 mags each, cleaning supplies, spare locks for case, and basic gun tools, some of which was in between foam layers. Have never hit any weight limit doing that. I have had the case itself at least minorly damaged every time though. Ive also started duct-taping the latches shut after inspection, before that they were always open held shut only by the locks.

IMG_8837.jpeg

Last edited:

Solm

FNG
happy owner of Gear Recs on Rifle Hard Case.
It’s solid IMHO. I treat my shit gentle though.
My 10/22 in one.
1B41EACC-B935-4251-976D-D079E9C3BE75.jpeg