Let’s talk cordage

Once upon a time one of my fraternity brothers shot a nice 349 bull as it crashed at him in a jungle. We got it dragged down the hill and down the dry creek bottom but when we hit the flats all the tugging was not going to move that bull.

I borrowed a horse and grabbed a rope (synthetic) and went back to the elk. I hooked on and gave it a pull. The elk stayed put but the rope got longer and longer until it pulled back and nearly pulled the horse over backwards. That was the last stretchy rope I ever owned.

When I tow elk with a horse, I use an old lariet (preferably the old large diameter ones) or a 1/2 inch hemp rope.

Most of the country I hunt is a challenge to stand on. I keep some longer chunks of parachord to tie off to trees while I am gutting it. It didn't take me long to figure out the hastles of riding a dead elk down a steep hill with a knife in hand and a gun leaning against a tree.

Much of life is learning from painful, bloody experiences you wish you could forget.

I carry z pac dyneema cordage instead of paracord now for tying up things and general camping tasks. Its very strong but not very abrasion resistant. Packs up super small and lightweight. I always keep paracord, and heavy duty webbing and ropes in my truck if i need something stronger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
Pcord. The paraloft had a 1000’ spool of OD green that they said was old and expired. Been using that for years. Might toss in a small bobbin of 50lb braid fishing line for little things.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Anyone else use this?

Backstory:
This year we borrowed a bear bag kit from a friend of my son’s that was rigged with arborist throw line as near as I can tell. Lightweight, low-stretch, doesn’t absorb water, and low friction. I was thinking of removing all of my paracord guy lines from the teepee (which are not insignificant weight-wise… especially when wet) and replacing them with arborist throw line.

Anyone do this?

Thanks!
I have not, but 1.8 mm Dyneema with poly jacket speargun line makes awesome low stretch and tough guy lines. With the polyester jacket it holds knots well and is not slick like straight dyneema.

Something like this, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075VFQ5C7/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A3M113PZQ4KEWP&th=1

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
#36 tarred bank line works extremely well for those smaller tasks stitching things tying things works extremely well and smaller than paracord I also carry paracord and I've used mule tape in the past for a whole lot of stuff each has its advantages and disadvantages but its normally tarred bankline and 550 cord for me

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Depends on the hunt. In MO, a 25' length of 3/8" rope for dragging if necessary. Never usually have to drag more than about 75-100 yards, if that. For long range trips, 550 paracord (makes a heck of a good boot lace replacement), a small roll of dental floss and a small roll of 85 lb braid fishing line. I like to have all bases covered.

I pack a section of 3mm reflective guy line that doesn’t see much use, my main working cordage is tuna cord, it is heavier than guy line/550, but it’s extremely tough and it’s easy to untie and tie.

I find it more utilitarian than any other cordage for hunting. I use tuna cord for tons of stuff

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Always have 100ft of some type of paracord when elk hunting. As I’m often alone it acts as extra hands butchering and for use hanging and skinning. The brighter the better🤙

SonnyDay

WKR
Anyone else use arborist throw line?

Anyone have experience using throw line with guy line tensioners?