Let’s talk Broadheads!

CowboyD

FNG
Magnus Stinger Buzzcut 4 blade. Sharp, flies true, great company, great warranty.

Ride123

FNG
Rage +p expandable.....no aluminum.....ss with no colar....happy with them

Attachments

• 1722300378765684788618856772111.jpg
    1722300378765684788618856772111.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 19
Magnus stinger 100 gr. w/ bleeder blades. Fly true and got me a huge old buck I hit in the thickest spot on the shoulder blade. Blew through it, both lungs and broke its leg on the far side. Nothing mechanical to fail. But… the one negative is I haven’t had great blood trails with them. Since they hit where I aim, I havent had to look far.

Also used Rage hypodermic 2 blade 100 gr. For some reason not passthroughs on a couple that really should have been. Only hit ribs. They do leave a nice looking entry hole compared to the Magnus.

Iron Will single bevel regular- stays sharp and flies great. Open country mule deer I might have a Sevr or 2 in my quiver. Not a huge mechanical fan.

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the QAD Exodus and it performed great on the 1 deer I shot on it. I just felt like they would never fly great. I had to use the full version because of my state rules. But I have heard the swept fly much better. I have switched the the G5 deadmeat for this year so I am interested to see how it does

Beendare

WKR

Let’s talk Broadheads! .............Again? grin​

They all work.
For me it's 2 things; Pick the characteristics I want...then match it to my Bow and arrow.

My thought process;
1) I don't want my arrow hanging out of a critter as it runs off pushing it even further. I want a complete pass through...effortless penetration- as many critters don't know they have been hit if they don't make me. Some of the inefficient heads will be stuck in a critter on a regular basis, The tapered cut on contact heads don't.

2) I also want a head that I can shoot in the woods- stump shooting to stay sharp...and durable I can resharpen or reuse thats inexpensive so I don't worry about losing a few.

I use 2 blade's in both my recurve and Compound. They have the best penetration of any head...bones don't affect them as much, shoot great from a BH tuned bow, super easy sharpen...and more options for shot angles due to extreme penetration. Then the fact; many times critter never know they were hit. Many advantages.

I think the "Big Hole" thing is something the BH companies created to sell BH's. After seeing hundreds of critters shot with every BH design- Blood trails are more dependent on shot location- ie; lower shot leaves more blood.

I have seen great BT's from 2 blades...and crummy BT's with big mechs- shot high- and vice versa.

Plus, we are trying to kill them, right...not just leave blood on the ground? Complete penetration through Lungs- collapsing them and having outside pressure from 2 holes keep them from inflating- its hard to go far on one breath.

So pick a head for the characteristics and hunt system you want- and go for it.

Hedge Row

FNG
A good quality steel one piece broadhead. Single or double bevel. I've been shooting VPA 3 blades and Cutthroat single bevels and they haven't given me any reason to switch.

I’m shooting exodus swept this year. Last year was Simmons Mako. I’m pretty impressed with the Exodus so far. Hope to kill an elk in a few weeks with it. I’ve killed lots of stuff with 2 blade and multi blade heads. I prefer a good three blade head or 2 blade with bleeders.

Matt5266

WKR
Not to hijack the OPs thread but the regs changed a couple years ago in Idaho regarding broadheads. Is the QAD Exodus Swept considered Idaho legal now?

If I had to use one BH all year it would be the standard slick trick or similar head. Great all around performance and affordable.

But I honestly don’t have a “go to” and use different heads for different hunts. I prefer a two blade for elk - Strickland/magnus/ironwill all perform the same, more forgiving at distance and should get more penetration. Turkeys always get a mechanical and I’ve shot whitetail with all 3.

Okie-hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
I shot 2 mature deer last year with the same QAD Exodus 100gr and plan on killing a few more with the same head this year. Reason I switched from NAP Spitfire XX to Exodus is simply durability, affordability & penetration plus I wanted to get away from mechanicals.
The spitfires killed every deer Ive shot with them quickly. I believe 8 deer total with spitfires. But spitfires are a 1 shot broadhead then trash them. Spitfires would also often times have bent blades upon recovery & if you dont get a pass through you have one 7/8" hole on entry.
Exodus are known for being very sharp out of the box, super durable, and low profile/easy to get to fly well. Pair that with a 1 1/4" cut diameter and easily replaceable blades in a fixed blade configuration and I saw a winner in them. Both bucks I shot were quartering pass throughs and neither deer went more than 45 yards. I also believe 3 blade heads produce better blood trails.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
QAD Exodus because they are cheap, but they work well and I prefer 3-blade heads.

GR Fatal Steel and NAP Spitfires because they just flat out work and put lots of blood down.

I will caveat my broad head choice with the fact that so far I’ve only hunted whitetails from ranges 35yds and in, but I’ve had good results with my G5 Megameats. Always have had complete pass throughs and never had a deer go more than 100yds before falling. Whenever I decided to go out west with my bow for Muleys or Elk I’ll probably go with a fixed blade.

Bgusty

FNG
A good quality steel one piece broadhead. Single or double bevel. I've been shooting VPA 3 blades and Cutthroat single bevels and they haven't given me any reason to switch.
What Cutthroat heads are you running? Thinking of trying the SB wide in either 150 or 200 grain.

Hedge Row

FNG
What Cutthroat heads are you running? Thinking of trying the SB wide in either 150 or 200 grain.
I've shot the SB 125 standards for a few years now and I've been super impressed. I've got one head that has been through 4 deer and after a little time on the sharpener still looks brand new. Super easy to sharpen and they tune super easy for me.

Attachments

• 68637539773__FBBF2262-2A31-4905-893D-6793B8EB67A1.jpg
    68637539773__FBBF2262-2A31-4905-893D-6793B8EB67A1.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 16