Lets talk bottom metals

WKR

WKR
Trying so sort out which bottom metal i want to put on my nrl hunter/hunting rifle. I was leaning towards the hawkins hunter dbm but I found that UM has there own proprietary m5 dbm that looks interesting although the short action isn't developed yet. I do like the mag release on the UM alot more than the hawkins as the hawkins puts it inside the trigger well which seems like an accident waiting to happen. But does the UM only accept their mags and not standard aics mags?

What are some of yall using for your nrl hunter and hunting rifle dbms and why?

Wyatts, only draw is the mags are a bit pricey, have them on a Remington XCR in .308 and a Ruger in 6.5. CM easy to set up and function great, the ,308 is going along to Wyoming here in a few days.

BrentH

WKR
I’m using the Hawkins Hunter DBM in both my hunting rifles with no real complaints. The mag release does take a fair amount of pressure to get it to release.

Samson7x

WKR
I’m using the Hawkins Hunter DBM in both my hunting rifles with no real complaints. The mag release does take a fair amount of pressure to get it to release.

Same here. In my mind that’s a good thing on a hunting rifle though. Less chance of accidentally dropping the mag. And quick mag changes aren’t really a necessity for hunting anyway.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I've been using detachable mags for 20 years and haven't lost one. In fact I always keep a spare in my pocket to hold my extra ammo on back country trips.

BrentH

WKR
Same here. In my mind that’s a good thing on a hunting rifle though. Less chance of accidentally dropping the mag. And quick mag changes aren’t really a necessity for hunting anyway.
I agree, I guess I didn’t word my post the best.

Lemhi

FNG
Hawkins M5, in a short action you can run 5/10 round mags or grab a flush fit for the field. No more likely to lose a mag than release your standard BDL. That said I have a few custom ADL style builds for extended backpacking trips in inclement weather.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’d 0% recommend a mag for a hunting rifle, just one not thing to lose/forget on a hunting trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
With the hunting style mag releases set up like a BDL button, you're not likely to lose a mag at all. With the big release levers they use in PRS and such, yes there is some risk if you're not careful. I have used Hawkins and they are great. I bought a Greyboe stock and their M5 bottom metal is nice and I'll never accidentally drop a mag with it.

But, if that's a worry we make a fantastic scoped action cover that protects the magazine. Here is a YT short I recorded.

Reactions: WKR