Apa bottom metal? Hawkins?

I’m trying to figure out what type of dbm to get for my rifle, I have a manners pro hunter with an origin action/ proof barrel… I’m planning on running 5 and 10 rnd mags, stock is cut for an m5 dbm, between the apa and Hawkins, which is a better dbm? I’m also looking into the badger offerings

Which style of bottom metal? The Hunter or the Tactical style DBM?

As for hunter styles both the APA and Hawkins are nice but I prefer the APA. The mag latches are different and that’s where I prefer the APA. The Hawkins is and inside the guard Oberndorf style where the APA lever is sculpted in with the guard. You can drop a mag with the APA with the tip of your index finger without moving the position of your hand on the stock. If you don’t care about that then the Hawkins would do fine.

If the tactical style on a hunting rifle I’d probably lean towards the APA tactical for the clean latch. I’ve never used one but would prefer that over some of the paddle latches I’ve used. Just cleaner on a hunting rifle.

Which style of bottom metal? The Hunter or the Tactical style DBM?

As for hunter styles both the APA and Hawkins are nice but I prefer the APA. The mag latches are different and that’s where I prefer the APA. The Hawkins is and inside the guard Oberndorf style where the APA lever is sculpted in with the guard. You can drop a mag with the APA with the tip of your index finger without moving the position of your hand on the stock. If you don’t care about that then the Hawkins would do fine.

If the tactical style on a hunting rifle I’d probably lean towards the APA for the clean latch. I’ve never used one but would prefer that over some of the paddle latches I’ve used.
So I’m not looking at the hunter, I’m looking at the tactical style and then the flush apa

Since I’m used to the flush APA latch and if I wanted a tactical style on a hunting rifle I’d probably try the APA tactical for the clean latch. If you want the paddle then the Hawkins. A plus for the APA flush is you can use Curtis and Hawkins 3rnd mags if you wanted. I’ve used both.

Since I’m used to the flush APA latch and if I wanted a tactical style on a hunting rifle I’d probably try the APA tactical for the clean latch. If you want the paddle then the Hawkins.
I really like how flush the lever is on that apa, I do like the idea of the barricade stop, not a huge deal though imo

I have a new Hawkins DBM in LA for sale if interested. $160 shipped with pillars and action screws.

My 2 cents (subjective): This is very much a preference thing. Make sure you buy what you're going to end up liking. Personally, my favorite combo is a flush SA M5 w/MDT short action 3-round mags. [I wish MDT would make the same mags for medium and long action lengths.] I favor a M5 barricade if the magazines will be exposed in front of the trigger guard. Definitely prefer levers better than trigger guard mechanisms. Trigger guard releases can be a clumsy PITA. But again, preference.

Back