Let’s Talk Bipods

Looking to pick up a good bipod. Looking hard at the MDT CKYE. Seems to have some really nice features and solid. Price is a deterrent though. Also looked at the Extreme Pod some, a few others as well. What are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad717

FNG
Looking to pick up a good bipod. Looking hard at the MDT CKYE. Seems to have some really nice features and solid. Price is a deterrent though. Also looked at the Extreme Pod some, a few others as well. What are you using?

Atlas has worked really well for me, removes quickly and easily

Chuckybmd

WKR
I’ve use the Primos Jim Shockey bipod.

I used this to shoot a mule deer. I wouldn’t say it’s quality as you might infer from where it can be purchased, but for the cost it works pretty well. It has a quick deploy feature where you basically just pull the side trigger and the legs go out to contact the ground.

I caught an 80 year-old gentleman using one as a Walkingstick that gave me quite a laugh.

rratzlaff1490

Lil-Rokslider
Just went down this rabbit hole myself. I landed on an accutac and couldn’t be happier. They are on the heavier side but I was looking to pick up a little weight on my rifle. I went down the really light weight path and ended up missing just a lb or two more for stability.

For what it’s worth, they’re a USA made outfit too. Price is reasonable, especially when you’re looking in the realm of the mdt cyke.

cmahoney

WKR
I have a hatch for the versatility, prone to kneeling and works on steep side hills.

SDHNTR

WKR
Hatch for versatility here too. It’s far from perfect, but for a hunter it’s the best I’ve found. I have an Atlas too, but it’s for the range. Not versatile. Had a Spartan Javelin too. The good qualities stop at lightweight.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What do you want the bipod for? They all have pluses and minuses depending on intended use. What I would use at the range with a heavy .338 Lapua is very very different than what I would use my with my ultra lite 6.5 Creedmoor on a sheep hunt. Do you want it attached to the rifle all the time? Does it ever need to come off? Do you want it attached when hunting or want to be able to throw it on fast or slow? Lots of great options, Atlas for the range, but then which Atlas? Big differences between them all, Super lite, maybe a Spartan or a Rugged Ridge. How important is price?

If I'm at the range and weight does not matter then a BT-72 is as good as someone needs, no need to spend 1K. If weight matters, it's all the Spartan. A Rugged Ridge is right in the middle. If price matters, buy a cheap Harris Knock off, will work just fine on a hunt.

DRUSS

WKR
Modular Evolution, Rugged Ridge, and Sparten are mine for hunting and getting prone shots. If want to sit or possibly kneel the hatch, Harris, Rok-Stedi are the other options I know of.
I haven't been able to try MTN Gear or MDT CKYE-POD yet?

SDHNTR

WKR
Modular Evolution, Rugged Ridge, and Sparten are mine for hunting and getting prone shots. If want to sit or possibly kneel the hatch, Harris, Rok-Stedi are the other options I know of.
I haven't been able to try MTN Gear or MDT CKYE-POD yet?
The beauty is though, the Hatch will do prone too!

OP
Jake Leibke
What do you want the bipod for? They all have pluses and minuses depending on intended use. What I would use at the range with a heavy .338 Lapua is very very different than what I would use my with my ultra lite 6.5 Creedmoor on a sheep hunt. Do you want it attached to the rifle all the time? Does it ever need to come off? Do you want it attached when hunting or want to be able to throw it on fast or slow? Lots of great options, Atlas for the range, but then which Atlas? Big differences between them all, Super lite, maybe a Spartan or a Rugged Ridge. How important is price?

If I'm at the range and weight does not matter then a BT-72 is as good as someone needs, no need to spend 1K. If weight matters, it's all the Spartan. A Rugged Ridge is right in the middle. If price matters, buy a cheap Harris Knock off, will work just fine on a hunt.

Will only be using prone with lighter recoiling rifles. Hunting and practice. Will come off to switch rifles during practice and will ride the ride during hunting season.

Hatch has been brought up a lot. Seems nice but know people who say spend your money else where. Not sure what to think.

Weight isn’t a huge factor but don’t want a 2+ pounder either.

I mainly use Spartan bipods while hunting. So many choices now days it’s hard to filter through all the pros/cons for each individual application.

Many years ago Justin did a review on 6 bipods here on RS. There might be some relevant info in there still.