Let’s Talk Bipods

CMP70306

WKR
If you are looking for light it’s hard to beat the MTN Gear bipod, adjusts from 4” to 15” and weighs only 5 oz. Got one a couple months ago but life got in the way and I haven’t gotten a chance to shoot off it yet.

SDHNTR

WKR
If you are looking for light it’s hard to beat the MTN Gear bipod, adjusts from 4” to 15” and weighs only 5 oz. Got one a couple months ago but life got in the way and I haven’t gotten a chance to shoot off it yet.

Interesting. Can you sit or kneel behind it? And what’s up with the attachment point? It needs its own funky adapter mounted on the rifle (second vid)? You can’t use a standard pic rail bipod mount? That’s a deal killer for me.

Last edited:

cmahoney

WKR

That bipod looks very cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMP70306

WKR
Interesting. Can you sit or kneel behind it? And what’s up with the attachment point? It needs its own funky adapter mounted on the rifle (second vid)? You can’t use a standard pic rail bipod mount? That’s a deal killer for me.

Probably a bit short for sitting but I’ll have to double check. It attaches to a standard Pic rail, the one in the video is just their lightweight version with a sling stud in the back.

SDHNTR

WKR
Probably a bit short for sitting but I’ll have to double check. It attaches to a standard Pic rail, the one in the video is just their lightweight version with a sling stud in the back.
Ah, thanks, yeah, I really would like to know if you can get behind this seated or kneeling.

OP
Jake Leibke

I have looked into that one a little. Probably be great for hunting but question how it would hold up to the off-season shooting as well, long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The MTN Gear is cool, and I believe it has a place as a hunting bipod where weight is a top concern. I have been testing one for a while. It works well in dirt, grass, and similar surfaces you would see while hunting. I don't like it on benches built of wood or concrete. It's not tall enough for me to sit behind. I have to switch to a tripod in those situations. There is also quite a bit of wobble in it that some people won't like. A bit of loading helps to reduce that. Durability is a concern since there are so many moving parts and it's crazy light. I look forward to doing a lot more shooting with it this year.

The Spartan bipods have worked great for me, but they also have some wobble that requires loading. And, they don't offer as many adjustments for height/width as the MTN Gear. I've used them for years, along with quite a few people I know, and am only aware of one that broke.

The Rugged Ridge is one of my least favorite bipods I've used. It moves as you tighten it down and can/will fold up on you if shooting multiple shots. I would choose an Atlas or Modular Evolution over it every time.

SDHNTR

WKR
The MTN Gear is cool, and I believe it has a place as a hunting bipod where weight is a top concern. I have been testing one for a while. It works well in dirt, grass, and similar surfaces you would see while hunting. I don't like it on benches built of wood or concrete. It's not tall enough for me to sit behind. I have to switch to a tripod in those situations. There is also quite a bit of wobble in it that some people won't like. A bit of loading helps to reduce that. Durability is a concern since there are so many moving parts and it's crazy light. I look forward to doing a lot more shooting with it this year.

The Spartan bipods have worked great for me, but they also have some wobble that requires loading. And, they don't offer as many adjustments for height/width as the MTN Gear. I've used them for years, along with quite a few people I know, and am only aware of one that broke.

The Rugged Ridge is one of my least favorite bipods I've used. It moves as you tighten it down and can/will fold up on you if shooting multiple shots. I would choose an Atlas or Modular Evolution over it every time.
Thanks for the info. I hate wobble!

BLJ

WKR
No notches in the legs (Harris). No 6”,12”36”.
Meaning 9.63” on one leg and 22.17” on the other.
Hope that example makes sense.

SDHNTR

WKR
No notches in the legs (Harris). No 6”,12”36”.
Meaning 9.63” on one leg and 22.17” on the other.
Hope that example makes sense.
It doesn’t. But I think I understand. There are no notches. In between the min and max leg lengths, you can adjust it to lock wherever you need.

wingmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve ditched a bipod altogether in favor of using a RRS Ascend tripod for all shooting positions in the field, including prone. For my use case, it offers far more versatility than a bipod. Something to consider.
This has been something I've been looking at lately to shed weight, but it sounds like something I'd have to try in the field to see how practical it is. I have a Javelin bipod that runs ~6 oz

This has been something I've been looking at lately to shed weight, but it sounds like something I'd have to try in the field to see how practical it is. I have a Javelin bipod that runs ~6 oz
I did as well and it was great for packing and target shooting. I never found an opportunity to actually use it to kill anything. I have however killed a sheep with a tripod, when no other support would have worked due to the terrain.

id_jon

WKR
I think lightweight bipods are solutions looking for a problem. If I want a bipod, I want maximum stability over anything else. I can probably get just as stable with just about anything makeshift as I can with a super light bipod in the field. Hunting I carry my leofoto lm323 tripod and a pint size git-lite game changer, seems about endlessly versatile, and I am going to have a tripod either way. Gamechanger doubles as a pillow. When I need a bipod I switch between a 6-9" harris and a 13-27" harris depending on the situation, but I plan to eventually get a ckye pod triple pull for NRL hunter matches where weight is not as big of a factor but stability is. It seems like the ckye pods only lose on price, but win on stability and adjustability compared to everything else I've checked out.