Lets talk batteries

I am running more cams than I usually do this year as I got permission to hunt a new piece of property and need some intel.

Unfortunately for my wallet, I found out the wife is preggo, so Im trying to cut dollars where I can.

I dont like the idea of using cheap batteries in my cameras, but there are so many places out there online to get cheap products (TEMU, Woot, Amazon, etc). Has anyone used a cheap battery that was actually decent? Im not looking for equal performance, but I dont want any that are going to run down in 3 weeks either.

Batteries are damned expensive (like everything else), and just thought Id give it a try here to see if anyone has any insight. Thanks

EDIT: These are for Tacatacam XB and X Pro 2.0

Last edited:
What kind of cameras? Cheapest long-term route are using external 12 volts with solar. I've had some cameras out for 3-4 years that I have not revisited, and they are still running strong

OP
The_Dinkmaster
What kind of cameras? Cheapest long-term route are using external 12 volts with solar. I've had some cameras out for 3-4 years that I have not revisited, and they are still running strong

Guess that would be a good thing to put in the OP, huh?

I have some Tacatacam XB and X pros. 2 of each. Then I have some cheap TASCO cameras from walmart which are actually pretty decent cameras. They get good battery life on Rayovacs, so Im not really worried about those.

More concerened with the Tacatacams

Split toe

WKR
I have Dakota Lithium. It has the BMS system in it so the battery does not get over drained and ran down. You will come out ahead if you utilize some kind of 12v rechargeable, unless people steal them.

LTGentry

FNG
Unfortunately with batteries you usually get what you pay for. Might try the Amazon basics batteries or a bulk store like Costco or Sams Club, but I wouldn't hold my breath for amazing performance.

Good job trying to cut dollars, my wife is 33 weeks along as we speak, but if $50 or $60 for batteries is pushing it then I would have to assume there are other expenditures causing more of a budget constraint that you could target instead of batteries.

Nobody wants to talk financials, touchy subject, but it needs to be discussed more IMO, especially if we are to set good financial examples for our children.

Just my .02.

OP
The_Dinkmaster
I have Dakota Lithium. It has the BMS system in it so the battery does not get over drained and ran down. You will come out ahead if you utilize some kind of 12v rechargeable, unless people steal them.

Thats my main concern with those.

Plus black bears are a menace to cameras with solar panels around here

OP
The_Dinkmaster
Unfortunately with batteries you usually get what you pay for. Might try the Amazon basics batteries or a bulk store like Costco or Sams Club, but I wouldn't hold my breath for amazing performance.

Good job trying to cut dollars, my wife is 33 weeks along as we speak, but if $50 or $60 for batteries is pushing it then I would have to assume there are other expenditures causing more of a budget constraint that you could target instead of batteries.

Nobody wants to talk financials, touchy subject, but it needs to be discussed more IMO, especially if we are to set good financial examples for our children.

Just my .02.

Absolutely.

I read an investment money guide by Andrew Tobias and he said "a penny saved is worth TWO pennies earned." Essentially, to earn a penny, you have to earn another one for the government too. But if you save a penny, thats untaxed and yours to keep.

So needless to say Im as tight as bark on a tree sometimes.

Thats my main concern with those.

Plus black bears are a menace to cameras with solar panels around here
I have tons of bears in my area as well. Put cameras in a security box and install external battery above camera and problems solved.
Either build your own or buy them set up but either way you'll find what you need on this site"

LTGentry

FNG
Absolutely.

I read an investment money guide by Andrew Tobias and he said "a penny saved is worth TWO pennies earned." Essentially, to earn a penny, you have to earn another one for the government too. But if you save a penny, thats untaxed and yours to keep.

So needless to say Im as tight as bark on a tree sometimes.
I never read any Tobias. My dad was a big Ramsey guy, so I read his book a little bit. He can be a bit extreme as far as debt goes though, and his advice might be a bit outdated for the modern late teen or early adult.

Whatever batteries you decide to go with, good on you for prioritizing your families financial status, can never go wrong with that style of thinking! And get back to us with a post-season review of them!

TBarron

WKR
I’ve used all different kinds of battery including expensive lithium batteries and I’ve had the best luck with the bulk pack of Rayovac batteries at Home Depot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
The_Dinkmaster
I’ve used all different kinds of battery including expensive lithium batteries and I’ve had the best luck with the bulk pack of Rayovac batteries at Home Depot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I typically use Rayovac too and have done well with them. My Tactacams lasted all year with them last year. Just looking to see if there are any users of cheaper batteries on trail cams specifically, rather than just going off an online review where the user has them in their Playstation controller lol

Huntin Fool

Lil-Rokslider
For the tactacams get the solar panels, you won’t be disappointed. And for non cellular cameras get the Amazon ones you get like 100 for like $28. That’s the only AA I’ll buy anymore

KNZ

FNG
You can order "Energizer Industrial" batteries off of amazon. Same batteries but in larger quantities and without the retail packaging, for significantly cheaper. All we use in our house at this point.

I have run ~25 non-cell cheapo cams on the 2-burst picture setting for the last five years, averaging ~1500 pics per season. Used all kinds of different batteries. Most of my leakages have been either late in the season when the weather gets cold (which is ~25 degrees give the South Louisiana climate) but primarily if I forget to take out batteries during storage is when most of the leakages and camera breakages occur. When you remove the cams from the field at the end of the season and put into storage (if you do this at all), you should immediately remove the batteries. I have never, once in all of this time seen a Rayovacs leak, either in the season, or during storage. Duracell will leak almost positively during storage, and Energizer is pretty bad as well. Rayovacs have been 100% perfect for me across all 5 seasons, so moving to exclusively Rayovacs this season. I am also going to try replacing the lithiums in my cell cams with Rayovacs and changing out every two months. I am not claiming Rayovas work well in cell cams as I am trying that this year for the first time, they have just been perfect in my non-cell cams in the Louisiana climate which barely sees more than 2 or 3 freezing days a year. Dont know if this experience would translate in a colder climates. Hope this helps..

tactacam user here too- and the solar panels are ok IF THEY HAVE DIRECT SUNLIGHT! Took my panels back after a week. Cams went dead and I had opening in canopy with sunlight coming though. I guess not enough.

I run all my cams with a 12v in an ammo box.
($34 for 2 12v batteries, $7 for the power cord, and $4 for the box)

They last all season and are rechargeable.

I'm an Amazon basics AA battery advocate, but only in non cellular cameras.
In cellular cameras as previously mentioned solar or 12v batteries in a box are my go to. I have some 12v 5ah trailer brake batteries I set up for $20-25ish that will run my dedicated cell cams for 2.5-3 months on a charge.
There are a ton of options and ways to do this, I settled on this size because they're a little easier to haul around, if you super shop them you can get the price point down, and they work for the period of time I need them to.

grunt1

FNG
I run a bunch of cell cams on Energizer Lithium. They last 3 months with heavy usage, longer in the off season. Only problem is when a lithium shows a decline on the monitor it's dead. So if you go into a difficult to reach area and batteries are say 2 months old, I replace them even thought they might be showing full.

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
I've had really good luck with the Harbor Freight Thunderbolt Edge batteries. There was just a coupon last week and packs of 18 were $4-5/ea.