Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

wyosam

WKR
It made sense for me, because I already had a Tikka in .25-06. As a result, I didn't have to swap out the bolt or bolt stop, and I could use the same mags.

I loved the .25-06 performance, but I wanted to shoot the 130 class bullets and the 1:10 factory barrel and action restricted the options. I know you can get DBM that support longer magazines, but I'm not sure this solves the action length restrictions on OAL. Regardless, with the .25-284 you can use standard DBM and mags, and the same goes for 25 Creed if you went that route, saving a few hundred bucks in aftermarket parts.

With the 130 class bullets seated at the boattail/case neck junction, you can reliably use standard L mags, and you essentially get the same performance as a .25-06 with better case life and reduced trimming due to the 35 vs. 40 degree shoulder. At around 2900 MV in a 22" barrel, the 134 ELDM maintains over 1800 FPS to roughly 975 yards with good trajectory and wind deflection. With a 24 or 26" barrrel you probably get over 1,000 yards, but I wanted to shoot suppressed without it being too long and unwieldy. At normal hunting distances, it's a lazer.

Oh, I’ve got several Tikkas a 25-284 barrel could rotate in on, just need to justify another barrel. I guess my justification could be that I don’t have a 1/4 bore Tikka.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TactiCole

FNG
I just put together an article about my Tikka build and someone reminded me about this thread. I've been upgrading this rifle over the past few years...

View attachment 175256

30-06, Mesa Precision Altitude Stock, Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44, Redsnake AICS Bottom Metal, LRI Bolt Fluting, Lumley Ti/Carbon Bolt Handle

Been shooting the factory barrel for a few years and have had it on plenty of hunts. When it came time to adding a suppressor (Thunderbeast Ultra 7 in jail), I did the barrel swap with a Proof Pre-Fit, instead of cutting down the factory barrel to get enough "meat" for proper threading. Still sub-100 rounds with the Proof, but during break in with crappy box ammo it is shooting lights out.

The article (link above) has more details if you're interested.

View attachment 175263
Awesome rifle! Sorry if I missed it in the article, but what length barrel on the Proof? I have been wanting to do something similar with my T3x 06.

kttedford

FNG
First post here. I’ve found pretty good deal on a Superlite 6.5 Creedmore to start my next build. I’m planning on keeping the factory barrel for now, but want to cut it back to 20”. I’m just hesitant to cut back into the flutes. I know it’s doable but not sure if I’ll like the look. I’ve looked through here and haven’t seen many examples of cutting back in the flutes. What’s the general consensus? Do it or not?

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
First post here. I’ve found pretty good deal on a Superlite 6.5 Creedmore to start my next build. I’m planning on keeping the factory barrel for now, but want to cut it back to 20”. I’m just hesitant to cut back into the flutes. I know it’s doable but not sure if I’ll like the look. I’ve looked through here and haven’t seen many examples of cutting back in the flutes. What’s the general consensus? Do it or not?
If your going to cut it back i would just get the regular lite but it is doable and people have done it. Looks are subjective i think it would look a little silly.

matthewmt

WKR
I had my 6.5 SL cut to 21" about an ⅛" in front of flutes

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

kttedford

FNG
If your going to cut it back i would just get the regular lite but it is doable and people have done it. Looks are subjective i think it would look a little silly.
I ended up going with a regular lite for this one. I have cut into the flutes on a Tikka T3X Lite Veil Wideland in 300wsm, but that barrel is heavier than the superlite. Here’s a picture of it.

Attachments

• IMG_2208.jpeg
    IMG_2208.jpeg
    352.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_2152.png
    IMG_2152.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2145.jpeg
    IMG_2145.jpeg
    359.9 KB · Views: 97

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Style points go to those who shoulder against the flutes. Looks cool if you ask me

F60BFCAD-3125-428A-A2A7-CB8EF8189CAF.jpeg

Spent the summer putting my 6.5 creed CTR on a diet. I have yet to weigh it but I am guessing I shaved at least 2lbs from its original form.

Barrel chopped from 20” to 16.5” and fast twist helix fluting done by LRI. Shaved 10oz from the barreled action just doing that.

Stocky’s Tikka VG in raw carbon. Sponge camo and shortened trigger reach/custom epoxy grip done in the little spare time I have.

Ditched the CTR bottom metal and mags in favor of the High Desert bottom metal with oem sporter mag.

UM dovetail rings, YoDave Spring, and a trash panda to round it out.

Bmhunts

FNG

9010ff4a103561c7af270e6186e0f867.jpg

615e0f3a4a222ab5889f38d89d654d5d.jpg

Cut both of my superlites back to 18”, this one is threaded 1/2x28 with a flared 5/8x24 adapter. I like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gabenzeke

WKR
My ultimate Rokslide specials weights for those curious and didn't see them in the other thread...

View attachment 749138

Tikka .223 8 Twist 20" Blued Lite Contour Barrel
RokStok Bart 3B Channel, Cerakote, Spartan/Pic Rail
Maven RS1.2 MIL
UM Tikka Low Rings
Standard Bolt
UM Tikka Bolt Handle
High Desert Bottom Metal
No Magazine
8 lbs 6 oz

View attachment 749140

Tikka .243 8 Twist 20" Medium Heavy Profile Stainless Cerakoted Fluted Barrel
RokStok Bart 3B Channel, Cerakote, Spartan/Pic Rail
Maven RS1.2 MIL
UM Tikka Low Rings
Fluted Bolt
UM Tikka Bolt Handle
High Desert Bottom Metal
5/8-24 Muzzle Thread Cap On
No Magazine
8 lbs 10 oz

View attachment 749139
I plan to basically duplicate your 243 but trying to decide if I should go Ackley or not. Got any load data yet?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I plan to basically duplicate your 243 but trying to decide if I should go Ackley or not. Got any load data yet?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Sorry I pretty much shoot only factory ammo these days.

These 8 twist Tikka .243 barrels shoot 95 SST's the most accurately on average in what I've seen so far. It also shoots the 90 grain ELDX's very well. It shoots the 108 ELDM's quite well also, just not quite as accurately as the SST's and ELDX's.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Sorry I pretty much shoot only factory ammo these days.

These 8 twist Tikka .243 barrels shoot 95 SST's the most accurately on average in what I've seen so far. It also shoots the 90 grain ELDX's very well. It shoots the 108 ELDM's quite well also, just not quite as accurately as the SST's and ELDX's.
Is there a factory 108 eldm .243 load? I looked everywhere and couldn’t find.

-J