Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

Still need to go shoot but I just got it back from cerakote (they missed a section around the muzzle brake that I’ll have them fix). The only thing I think I still want/need to do is bed the action and stock but other than that she’s finally finished.
-Started life as a T3X Lite 300wm
-Grayboe Phoenix stock
-Carbonsix 24in 1:10 Sendero 300wm
-Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56 EBR-7C MRAD, MPA scope mount, Talley rail
-Mountain tactical DBM, bolt handle, trigger spring
-Area 419 Hellfire Match, Arca rail, bipod mount
-Atlas Arca PSR bipod
-Black multicam cerakote with vortex brown accent color
Looks awesome! How do you like the Phoenix stock? I'm going with a Carbon6 barrel too. How long did it take to get your barrel?

davsco

WKR
what action wrench and barrel vice are y'all's using to remove tikka barrels and install proof carbon tikka prefits? any words of wisdom? thanks!

jeremy.b

Lil-Rokslider
what action wrench and barrel vice are y'all's using to remove tikka barrels and install proof carbon tikka prefits? any words of wisdom? thanks!
Many words!! I JUST pulled the factory barrel off of my 05 T3 last weekend. After reading many horror stories on how much of a PITA they can be I set myself up for the ordeal:

I picked up a SAC Bravo barrel vise with the Tikka sporter contour bushing: https://www.shortactioncustoms.com/bravo-barrel-vise

I also picked up a Wheeler #1 action wrench. I reversed the V jaw to use the flat side, swapped out the 1/2-20 bolts that shipped with it with 3 1/2" ones and added a set of washers to help smooth out tightening down on the action.

I mounted the barrel vise to a well secured spot in the garage.

I threw the barreled aciton in the freezer for a couple hours as well.

I then mounted the action wrench with some thin aluminum shims between the jaws and the wrench on the action JUST behind where the barrel threads stopped and torqued the bolts carefully down to ~30 ftlbs.

Grabbed some drywall tape and some powdered sugar, added sugar to the inside of the tape, sandwiched the barrel between two peices of the sugared tape in the barrel vise and torqued the crap out of the barrel vise.

Told my 8yr old to get out of the garage, dad might be frustrated soon.

Grabbed my 4' breaker bar and deadblow hammer. For funzies, just pushed on the action wrench and she turned right over....

Talk about anti climatic!

Honestly I think the trick is to not grip the action right over the barrel threads, at least as a starting point. The freezer could have easily helped too.

davsco

WKR
Told my 8yr old to get out of the garage, dad might be frustrated soon.

For funzies, just pushed on the action wrench and she turned right over....

Talk about anti climatic!
Hilarious!! and thanks for the info!

sndmn11

WKR
Hilarious!! and thanks for the info!
I took mine to a gunsmith friend with the wheeler action wrench and he got it off in a hydraulic barrel vise pretty easy. I use the bugholes wrench now because I can keep the scope, stock, and pic rail on that way. I'll see you the wheeler since it would be the best action wrench to use initially.

I have the wheeler barrel vise with the wood block inserts, I would use AL if I had to do it again.

Heimdall2

FNG
Looks awesome! How do you like the Phoenix stock? I'm going with a Carbon6 barrel too. How long did it take to get your barrel?
Thanks! I really like it so far but I haven’t gotten to shoot it yet or put it through the ringer. For the money, it’s light, adjustable, and packed with solid features. The barrel I think took about 2 months to receive but I also had them mount the barrel to my action and check headspace.

Thanks! I really like it so far but I haven’t gotten to shoot it yet or put it through the ringer. For the money, it’s light, adjustable, and packed with solid features. The barrel I think took about 2 months to receive but I also had them mount the barrel to my action and check headspace.
Did you have to pay extra for them to install it? Mine is a stripped action and might be worth letting them do it vs buying wrenches.

Your rifle weighs way more than I believe mine should. Guess that scope really is a tank.

Heimdall2

FNG
Did you have to pay extra for them to install it? Mine is a stripped action and might be worth letting them do it vs buying wrenches.

Your rifle weighs way more than I believe mine should. Guess that scope really is a tank.
Yea it was a little more but not unreasonable, can’t remember the exact cost though. I certainly didn’t build it to be a lightweight mountain rig. I actually wanted it to be a little heavier for my preference.

bascott1

WKR
Tikka 270 wsm Bell and Carlson tan with black web. Mountain tactical bottom metal. Talley lightweights. Leupold Vx5hd 3-15x44. 8.5 lbs loaded. Pretty decent group for 300 yards.

Attachments

• 28F9FC15-303F-4FD3-95D3-AC728FA961E6.jpeg
    28F9FC15-303F-4FD3-95D3-AC728FA961E6.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 213
  • 78319DDD-FEAF-4702-A3D2-C3A54E5563C4.jpeg
    78319DDD-FEAF-4702-A3D2-C3A54E5563C4.jpeg
    308.7 KB · Views: 213

MojaveJim

FNG
XLR Element 4.0, Bartlein CF 22" 6.5CM, Timney 2 stage. Just under 10lbs total with Spartan Bi-pod, ARC mag & the Steiner M5Xi

Attachments

• KIMG0128 (1).JPG
    KIMG0128 (1).JPG
    345 KB · Views: 159
  • KIMG0091 (1).JPG
    KIMG0091 (1).JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 158

Wiscat

Lil-Rokslider
Looks great. I wouldn't have picked those colors, but it turned out looking awesome, so what do I know? Who did that shallow bolt fluting? I like it. What chambering?
LRI did the fluting and barrel cut and threading. Its a 300 Win Mag that has been my main hunting rig since 2014. I just decided to give it a face lift. I have a 270 in the same stock and a 260 that I largely use for practice. I try and keep the firing schedule fairly light on this one.

Lytro

WKR
Just finished my first build.

• Caliber: 7MM Rem Mag
• Action: Tikka T3x
• Stock: Grayboe Phoenix
• Barrel: 24” Proof Carbon Sendero 1:9”
• Muzzle Brake: MBM Titanium Beast Brake
• Bottom Metal: Mountain Tactical
• Scope: Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44mm
• Base & Rings: Leupold Backcountry
• Bipod: Spartan Javelin Pro Hunter
• Misc: Mountain Tactical trigger spring, Mountain Tactical billet mag, Rekon Arca-Swiss
• Total Weight: 9 lbs 4 oz

34B44491-2563-4DE0-AE5A-60F3D9AEC8EC.jpeg

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Just finished my first build.

• Caliber: 7MM Rem Mag
• Action: Tikka T3x
• Stock: Grayboe Phoenix
• Barrel: 24” Proof Carbon Sendero 1:9”
• Muzzle Brake: MBM Titanium Beast Brake
• Bottom Metal: Mountain Tactical
• Scope: Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44mm
• Base & Rings: Leupold Backcountry
• Bipod: Spartan Javelin Pro Hunter
• Misc: Mountain Tactical trigger spring, Mountain Tactical billet mag, Rekon Arca-Swiss
• Total Weight: 9 lbs 4 oz

View attachment 320630
Tell us more about the Phoenix. Thinking about one for a T1x 17hmr.