Let's Say The Financial Secretary (AKA...

...Wife) says, "You're done spending!" What do you do to get the gear you need?

Sell old gear, guns and bows? How do you do it? This DIY hunting is VERY spendy.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
Make due with what you have....deer and elk were killed without it in the past.

but it's certainly not as fun.....;)

Last edited:

a3dhunter

WKR
Start with buying her something nice........add dinner out.....and plan a nice weekend getaway....

if that doesn't work, look for what you can do without for something you want more...
I have some 15x50 Vortex Bino's for sale right now....;)

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is the best advise you will get..

Did luke tell you who I bought that pack for..And she loves it.

It been working for us for years! I am pretty well set up, and once in awhile I let him borrow stuff if he asks nicely :)
Seriously though, it's easier to make a case for buying more stuff if it benefits her too...

dotman

WKR
I try to not buy anything for myself if I can't in turn get her something of equal value even if it is just cash, which means for a $250 budget I have to save $500 first because I wouldn't feel right if I was the only one getting stuff I want. Just takes a little longer to get what I want.

Funny thing, I don't think she thinks the same way :) but in all seriousness my hobbies are much more expensive then hers. I personally would feel bad if all the family blow money went to me.

Oh yeah I'm the financial Secretary, unfortunately the CEO signs the checks :) I just get to count the money, plan and make sure all bills are paid.

Last edited:

Ozz08

WKR
That's why I still haven't signed up for direct deposit and I still go in to the bank to deposit checks every week. I have been skimming off the top for years. My wife still doesn't know how much I actually make a week. Lol. And the overtime? She doesn't know that I make double time on a lot of my overtime either.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'm always selling gear to "upgrade" try out new gear. I do buy a LOT of gear for Becca, but it is legitmately hers. That being said if this latest packraft turns out to be as cool as I hope, I might need one for me too. :D

Last edited:

WV Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
That's why I still haven't signed up for direct deposit and I still go in to the bank to deposit checks every week. I have been skimming off the top for years. My wife still doesn't know how much I actually make a week. Lol. And the overtime? She doesn't know that I make double time on a lot of my overtime either.

Sounds like a loving marriage. :D

a3dhunter

WKR
I believe in making decisions on spending with the support of my wife, instead of hiding it from her. Thus the last 8 years she has fully supported me hunting several different states and spending more on hunting than any other hobby each year. It's just not something I worry about anymore, but I also know not to give her crap when she wants something.
I wouldn't think of "hiding" money from my wife, just destroys the foundation of the marriage, honesty and trust IMO.
To each their own I guess.

Last edited:

Hardstalk

WKR
Overtime is all mine. and it adds up quick when work gets busy if it were all up to me I'd be living in a cardboard box with all the baddest lightest gear money could buy! I do a quite a bit of trading as well. Always on Craigslist or eBay looking to trade up on gear.

Rizzy

WKR
Start selling the stuff you don't use. I've been using eBay to sell a whole variety of things from the garage and around the house that we don't need or use anymore. My eBay/PayPal account has become my gear fund. All the little stuff adds up.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Horsetrading is a great way to get extra cash for gear. I am constantly selling and buying gear with little out of pocket expense. As far as spending money out of the family budget:

Sit down with your spouse. Explain how important hunting is to you. Pull out your finances in a written budget and show her in black and white where the money is you would like to use, and how you can make it work without damaging the family budget.

Open and honest is the way to go.

Ozz08

WKR
Guys in all honesty my regular wages are never even touched by my gear purchases. The line of work I'm in allows me the opportunity at a huge amount of side work and all my gear purchases and hunting expenses come from that. When I want something new or need money for hunting seasons I pick up a side job to cover it. I recently wanted a kifaru pack so I did a small re-pipe and bam one weekend of work got me a timberline and paid for all my CA draws. All you guys with your moral compasses going crazy relax I don't hide money from my family my wife knows exactly how much I spend on my hobbies and she's cool with it.( some of the time anyway).

OP
Brandon Pattison
If it wasn't for my wife I would be using a 1992 issued ALICE pack and shelter half. She is the ONLY reason I can leave the state to hunt with new gear. I love her understanding and help. She makes more money than me but our money is one. The purpose of the thread was to find out how you folks fund an expensive hobby, considering you all work for a living.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Just get her into backpacking. Once I got my wife interested it was easy to point out that a new tent (just got an SL 5) costs less than 2 nights in a nice hotel. Then, always buy her the new gear first (like a better sleeping pad). Hopefully she will feel guilty and want you to have one for yourself, too.