Let’s build a youth forever rifle!

This is true, but if you handload the ARC can be pushed harder in a bolt rifle. The hornady load data for a bolt ARC is only 110fps slower than the factory Creed loading. I don't mind handloading, but having good factory ammo available is always a nice option.

Yes but the load data for 6 creed is 100ish FPS faster than factory 6 creed ammo too. So apples to apples it's still 200ish FPS slower and even that feels a little understated.

brockel

WKR
I did the easy button with a tikka 243 8” twist cut at 20” and suppressed with a SWFA 6x on top. Currently loaded with h4895 and a 90grain eldx at 2950fps. In a few years I’ll bump it up to the 108 eldm load I have already done for it

Sevens

WKR
I’d vote for a Zermatt Origin, SR3 or TL3 action. The swappable bolt heads are a really cool feature if she decides she wants to try a different cartridge one day that needs a different bolt face. Lots of prefits available as well.

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka T3X in compact stock in .223 will kill a lot of stuff and can be shot forever on into adulthood. Can swap out for full size stock for cheap when they are ready.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve learned more about the 6arc on this thread! I am going to rule it out though, I don’t want to mess with bolt face changes. I think I’ve settled on the 6cm.

Just throwing this out there…

What about a 16.5” 6prc? I caution going too short with a 6cm, not sure why? Has anybody spent time between a 6cm and a 6saum/6prc? I’m curious if the recoil is a big difference. I’ve spent plenty of time behind an unsuppressed .243, but never a 6mm magnum.

What mag are you using with a Tikka in 6 ARC? I’ve been toying with one or the 6GT.
My 6 ARC is an AR. I know someone on here has built one (forgot who but I believe they had ID in their handle) and I believe they were using a standard M tikka mag. If I were to build one I’d likely use a aics bottom metal and use those.

Just spitballing here, but if UM is going to make custom bottom metals and mags for the 223 tikka they should also do a ARC magazine.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I built my daughter a 6.5prc with a short barrel (18-20”) in an XLR chassis. She runs the tlr stock or whatever it’s called. It has a ton of adjustability and just keeps growing with her.

I chose prc because it can handle any game she will encounter. She killed an elk with it at 609 yards and her buck at 700. With a brake and in your case, a can, that is key along with a gun that fits her.
If it fits her and she’s not scared of it, she will kill with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve learned more about the 6arc on this thread! I am going to rule it out though, I don’t want to mess with bolt face changes. I think I’ve settled on the 6cm.

Just throwing this out there…

What about a 16.5” 6prc? I caution going too short with a 6cm, not sure why? Has anybody spent time between a 6cm and a 6saum/6prc? I’m curious if the recoil is a big difference. I’ve spent plenty of time behind an unsuppressed .243, but never a 6mm magnum.
18” creed is plenty.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
I've been chewing this over, but don't have a clear answer yet. I fit in the talks a lot category, so....

I think a Tikka action is a great start. Running it as a switch barrel makes the most sense. There are a couple ways to skin the problem. The two that make the most sense to me are:

22-250 Tikka and 6 creed switch barrel for hunting legal in CO.

223 Tikka, get a second bolt body for a 6 creed or 6 ARC. Downside of the ARC is a none standard bolt face. Of course, that could be milled out in the future when the 6 ARC barrel is shot out.

I would go with a short barrel, my 17 inch 243 gets me past 600 yards with a 108 gr ELDM and staying above 1800 fps at DA of 0 ft. You don't need the velocity and even without a suppressor short barrels are nicer to carry. I imagine that is extra true for small humans.

I would consider the action/stock to be the forever part, hopefully she gets to burn up a few barrels.

Last edited:

B23

WKR
If regularly available factory ammo is high on your list of wants I'd go 6mm CM but if you don't mind loading for this build I'd look at having a fast twist 25 Creedmoor built and shoot the 133 Berger or 134 ELD-M. That H4350 you have would probably work pretty well in both and with a 20in barrel 108's in a 6 CM or 133/134's in a 25 CM would both shoot right around 2900fps.

sndmn11

WKR
I've been chewing this over, but don't have a clear answer yet. I fit in the talks a lot category, so....

I think a Tikka action is a great start. Running it as a switch barrel makes the most sense. There are a couple ways to skin the problem. The two that make the most sense to me are:

22-250 Tikka and 6 creed switch barrel for hunting legal in CO.

I would go with a short barrel, my 17 inch 243 gets me past 600 yards with a 108 gr ELDM and staying above 1800 fps at DA of 0 ft. You don't need the velocity and even without a suppressor short barrels are nicer to carry. I imagine that is extra true for small humans.

I would consider the action/stock to be the forever part, hopefully she gets to burn up a few barrels.

What elevation for the .243/600yds/108eldm?

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Sorry, my sentence was confusing, I was using a density altitude of 0 feet, so sea level at 59 degrees F and pressure of 29.92 inHg.

At a DA of -2000 feet (so colder and/or higher barometer) it drops below 1800 just past 600 yards.
At -4999 feet DA, the lowest DA AB will accept, something like -10 F and a heavy barometric pressure at sea level, it stays above 1800 out to 550 yards.
In the worst conditions I want to imagine (-60 F with a baro of 33 inHg) it still gets you out to 460 yards, but is unshootable in my 8 twist do to being unstable (stability factor less than 1). This would be a cold day in interior Alaska, though it can get colder.

I'm loading over 41 gr of H4350, so a 6 Creedmoor should get be able to use the same charge as the limit is pressure, not case capacity. That is also a factory Tikka 243 barrel, so it is allegedly "slow."

sndmn11

WKR
Sorry, my sentence was confusing, I was using a density altitude of 0 feet, so sea level at 59 degrees F and pressure of 29.92 inHg.

At a DA of -2000 feet (so colder and/or higher barometer) it drops below 1800 just past 600 yards.
At -4999 feet DA, the lowest DA AB will accept, something like -10 F and a heavy barometric pressure at sea level, it stays above 1800 out to 550 yards.
In the worst conditions I want to imagine (-60 F with a baro of 33 inHg) it still gets you out to 460 yards, but is unshootable in my 8 twist do to being unstable (stability factor less than 1). This would be a cold day in interior Alaska, though it can get colder.

I'm loading over 41 gr of H4350, so a 6 Creedmoor should get be able to use the same charge as the limit is pressure, not case capacity. That is also a factory Tikka 243 barrel, so it is allegedly "slow."
I don't have time to google immediately, DA...

So, you are at sea level? I think 7-10k feet in Colorado would be an easy 500yds.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Ok so decisions have been made…

Defiance classic (on sale right now) and we are going to chamber in 6cm with an 18” barrel.

It looks like I can get away with 8 twist but 7.5 gives me more versatility for bullets and elevation.

Is rokslide in agreement?

Ok so decisions have been made…

Defiance classic (on sale right now) and we are going to chamber in 6cm with an 18” barrel.

It looks like I can get away with 8 twist but 7.5 gives me more versatility for bullets and elevation.

Is rokslide in agreement?
I second the motion.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I take back all the good things I said about my gun smith. He keeps making me make decision I don’t like making.

16.5” or 18” barrel. Both are on the shelf!

Help me! 😝