Let my ONx expire. Anyone using GoHunt? good and the bad?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
GoHunt is just to damn glitchy! Spartan Forge is missing to many trails and their offline map downloading process is slllooow. OnX is still the way. BUT nobody should have only one mapping software.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gaia has tripled their price in 2 years, so I'll be trying go hunt this fall. Never really liked onx for the cost.
I was happily using Gaia as well at the $30/year price point until I got an email that they were increasing it to $90/yr without making a single improvement to the system.

Mikedlaw

Lil-Rokslider
I was happily using Gaia as well at the $30/year price point until I got an email that they were increasing it to $90/yr without making a single improvement to the system.
Did they really up the price to $90? I thought it was $60. If so, I'll probably try OnX when my subscription ends. What's the deal with OnX having 3 separate apps? I hunt, backpack, and overland. Are they all basically the same app or does each have different features. I'm not paying for 3 separate apps.

If you’ve downloaded the offline maps them properly I’ve found both OnX and GoHunt work better with the phone in airplane mode. GoHunt downloading is a little trickier though, you have to keep it open and the phone unlocked. OnX seems to do fine downloading in the background.

I’m currently using both. I’d say OnX has the edge over GoHunt still but not by as much as I used to think.

I use both GoHunt and Gaia, will keep it that way this year and consider alternatives again next year. I do like GoHunts computer maps for the 3d. Going in and out of service doesn’t work well with Gohunt best to just use airplane mode. I like that in Gaia I can take a picture and it saves the image to the map. As stated above Gohunt images can have clouds and not be that great.

OP
R

repins05

WKR
Anybody using the range finding features on the apps?

Also the triangulation feature? Buddy tried to use basemap last year but didnt put him very close to a downed bull. Good chance it was user error though. Lol.

Anybody using the range finding features on the apps?

Also the triangulation feature? Buddy tried to use basemap last year but didnt put him very close to a downed bull. Good chance it was user error though. Lol.
I use line distance on OnX ALL THE TIME

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I bring a laptop with me with multiple layers dwnloaded to google earth. Then if my area is a wash i use google earth to scout what i have downloaded. Otherwise i use the phone to guide me with gaia.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Caltop has been a workhorse for me. Seamless integration with the desktop account for escouting and the best quality free mapsets for the free account. So many useful features to list.

Reactions: LoH

PineBrook413

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Go hunt is of questionable quality. I like their analytics but the maps app is trash in my opinion. Many times ive been out in the woods and once i lose reception the app kicks me out despite having my maps downloaded
Same here, have had this happen. super frustrating, onx is what i run.

tony

WKR
I have BaseMap - 50 states one price, think under $50.00

Gaia they either or were bought up backpacker magazine, maybe that was the cause of increase. I had a subscription to both just for Gaia. Cancelled when Gaia price went way up.

BBob

WKR
Did they really up the price to $90? I thought it was $60.
$60yr for just the GAIA app, $90yr if you buy into Outside+ which gives access to all of their other products including Trailforks. I think I paid something like $50 for a 5 year deal which will be up for renewal next year.