Less expensive hot tent?

Acidbraker

Lil-Rokslider
Hi folks, I'm thinking about a hot tent setup for the wife and kids and dogs and woodticks. I really like the idea of the Seek 6 person tipi, but lordy, it's expensive. Are there any cheaper options for a tent with a stove?

Thanks!

Edited to add: this would not be for "once in a lifetime" excursions. More for taking the kids to the river to fish for a couple nights, weekend upland hunts, deer hunts from an ATV. It would get some summer use, so a nest/screen would be required.

*zap*

WKR
Titanium goat vertix 7.5 or 6.5 if you can find one....they have not been made in a while and sell for well below what they are worth imo.

I believe there was a 6.5 on here a while back....did not notice that is sold.

OP
Acidbraker

Acidbraker

Lil-Rokslider
I think I found that Ti Goat you mentioned - any idea if a Seek nest would fit in there, or any other nest? The price looks acceptable.

Dgregory

FNG
OneTigris Smokey HUT Ultralight Hot Tent, 20D SIL-Nylon Waterproof Teepee Tent, Weighs only 2.6Ib, Perfect for Backpacking, Camping, Hiking, Bushcraft, Travel, Tent Stove Winter Camping https://a.co/d/gZc2TTy

Have you used that OneTigris tipi? The fabric looked see-through on the video on Amazon. Price is great. Size is great. Compatible with a stove. Wondering about strength of the fabric and water resistance. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SM1

Dgregory

FNG
The Onetigris Tegimen is outstanding in my opinion. It’s a palace of a tent, but it would be a little cramped with multiple people and dogs I think. I wouldn’t pick it if I was backpacking in anywhere either. Outside of that, no complaints.

Thanks for the feedback! Why wouldn’t you take it backpacking? Because of the weight or something else? I’ve been considering the Northgate and figured it’d be fine for a backpacking hunt if you split the tent/stove between 2/3 people.

Thanks for the feedback! Why wouldn’t you take it backpacking? Because of the weight or something else? I’ve been considering the Northgate and figured it’d be fine for a backpacking hunt if you split the tent/stove between 2/3 people.

The weight. It’s a good 5 pounds-ish.

schwaf

Lil-Rokslider
If space and weight are not a consideration, why not look into a Kodiak Canvas flexbow? The 10x14 would be spacious for everyone, and you can figure out a heating rig.

mod7rem

FNG
Hi folks, I'm thinking about a hot tent setup for the wife and kids and dogs and woodticks. I really like the idea of the Seek 6 person tipi, but lordy, it's expensive. Are there any cheaper options for a tent with a stove?

Thanks!

Edited to add: this would not be for "once in a lifetime" excursions. More for taking the kids to the river to fish for a couple nights, weekend upland hunts, deer hunts from an ATV. It would get some summer use, so a nest/screen would be required.
For family camping, I personally would not recommend a tipi unless weight is a major factor. I’ve used tipi’s a lot and they’re great for minimalist, lightweight, heated trips where weight is the biggest consideration. For a family with kids and dogs, I would want a big tipi. But I would recommend a light weight canvas tent instead for family. Not cheap either but usable space in a canvas tent is way more comfortable for a family, less condensation to deal with, easy getting in and out. Just my opinion.

If I was buying new and was set on a floorless shelter I would just bite the bullet and go with the Seek Outside. U.S. made, great customer service, and probably a lifetime piece of gear if you take care of it.

Dcronce

FNG

Thanks!

I use a Durston x-mid 2p and I saw someone add a stove jack themselves to the tent in the vestibule area. It’s something I’m considering if I want to make my own hot tent someday. I use the inner mesh when there are bugs and leave it at home when there aren’t.

Have you used that OneTigris tipi? The fabric looked see-through on the video on Amazon. Price is great. Size is great. Compatible with a stove. Wondering about strength of the fabric and water resistance. Thanks!

I own it and used it plenty of times. I'd say it's "fine," but it always felt pretty cheap. However, I think it's fine if it's your first hot tent and you want to see if it's something you want to get into.

OP
Acidbraker

Acidbraker

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply folks - I'm still looking into this, but leaning toward a S.O. - mainly because of the reputation and the ability to sell it down the road if it does not meet my needs.

For family camping-car camping I'd go with Kodiak Canvas. In a canvas tent you can go with propane heat without the worry of condensation. If you're after a 4 man tipi, take a look at Argail.

You didn’t say how many kids, how many dogs, and how many ticks.
Tents experience significant ground shrinkage when first used.

Take the tent capacity listed, at least double it, and then that is the tent size to consider. Especially if you are going to have a hot stove around kids and dogs…I would triple it.
Two adults, two kids, two dogs = 12 man tent at a minimum.
The last thing you need is someone getting burned because you were stacked in there like sardines.

Unhappy wife, unhappy kids = bad time