Lens/Magnification and hunting….

JD Jones

WKR
Ive been considering a 2x-4x lens on my bow. I see some advantages but I also see some drawbacks.

I’m curious if anyone that uses magnification in say 3d, translated the use into their hunting as well? I would like to hear from folks that have/do/did. I know ultimately I’ll have to try to make a determination for myself but value input from those that are already down this road

Marble

WKR
My wife uses a 2x in a 2 pin slider.

The issue you will have is in inclement weather. If you are hunting and it starts raining, you will have to try and figure out a way to protect the lens. There are lots of products to do this, you can search around and find products.

For me I wouldn't want any magnification in my hunting rig. For 3d, I use a 4x.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

JBF92

FNG
I’ve considered this as well, use one for 3-d. However 9/10 times while hunting you don’t need to hit the size of a quarter while hunting. The vitals are a bit more forgiving than the 12/10/8 ring 🤣

I'd be tempted to try hunting with one but definitely want to try to shoot 3d with it. Due to lack of snow, my toy fund is lacking so it'll be a next year purchase

wapitibob

WKR
I used a zero power lens in NM years ago but mostly because I've been a target shooter. The issue you will have with the lens is rain obviously, but more often it will be dust and sun glare. And 4x is going to be too much.

Beendare

WKR
I use one for 3d and field, there's no way I'd use one with a hunting bow.

Between keeping it clean and clear, then dealing with glare at times, it's a no go for me.
👆🏼Good advice IMO

Lenses and sliders are more accurate for sure. Targets are not a fluid situation like a hunt. Targets are stationary and will give you all the time in the world to make the shot, clean your lens, adjust your slider, shield the glare…etc, etc.

I ‘m with Billy goat and think the KISS method is the way to go for hunting