Lending out a pack

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone lent out a pack to someone who they loosely know? And if so, did you have any stipulations, conditions? I am not looking to be compensated but leery of lending out a $600 pack? Thanks for any info provided.

Neither a borrower nor a lender be.

This is a famous phrase said by Polonius in Act-I, Scene-III of William Shakespeare’s play, Hamlet. The character Polonius counsels his son Laertes before he embarks on his visit to Paris. He says, “Neither a borrower nor a lender be; / For loan oft loses both itself and friend.” It means do not lend or borrow money from a friend, because if you do so, you will lose both your friend and your money. If you lend, he will avoid paying back, and if you borrow you will fall out of your savings, as you turn into a spendthrift, and face humiliation.

jmez

WKR
Haven't and wouldn't.

Just ask for a $600 deposit.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I lent a brand new SG pack to someone that works at the same place where I work but I had never met the guy. All went well, he checked it out for about a week or so then brought it back to me, in the same new condition and went out and bought one of his own. A couple years ago I posted a question on the Alaska Outdoor Forum, asking if there were any better deals going on around town where I could rent a satellite phone. A guy PM’d me and said he had a new phone with minutes on it that he wasn’t going to be using and I could borrow it for free. I went to his place of employment, picked up the phone along with a spare battery, charger, and waterproof pelican case, and that was that, I drove away. The guy only knew me by my first name and had no other contact information on me. I returned the phone to him a couple weeks later, in the same shape that he loaned it to me, and gave him $100. He was pretty insistent on not excepting the money but after a lot of coaxing,he ended up taking it. I don’t know, and I am probably naïve, but I think folks are a lot more honest up here than in a lot of places. I have both loaned out and borrowed stuff, from people that I didn’t know at all or barely knew, just on a good faith word and hand shake. I’m currently holding a pack raft and carbon fiber paddle that I borrowed from Luke and Becca Moffett, back in July, and I barely know them at all. Anyway, just saying, I think there’s still plenty of good people out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NebraskaStickHunter

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the input so far. I try to help people move towards hunting more and I feel like this may help but not knowing his seriousness into hunting I think I may pass on lending it out due to being scared of having a shredded exo pack.

colersu22

WKR
I lended my kifaru frame to a local guy that was asking about them here and after talking to him on the phone realized I went to school with his brother and knowing where he lived I wasn’t to worried about it. I think he had it for over a month before he called me to come pick it up since he liked the new lightweight frame vs my tactical.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually did this all the time with a Kifaru frame and a bag. I would ship it all over the west coast and let people use it since you couldn’t get one in a store to see out this way.

I would let them have it for two or three weeks and then send it back. I never had an issue or really a concern.

I will say that the frame was one of the first prototype Duplex Hunters and Aaron was good with what I was doing to let people see them first hand.

I never have more then about 2 weeks I dont need my pack. U doubt anyone would do anything to my pack I wouldn't, but I'd be concerned with timeline.
But my badlands, I'd loan that out.

bbrown

WKR
Lent out plenty of gear over the years and haven’t been burnt yet. Knock on wood...

Given the right circumstances while trusting my gut feeling on a guy I would much rather take a chance trying to help a guy out rather than worrying about a worst case scenario. Guess I figure if a guy disappears with or ruins something of mine in that situation without making it right - karma is a bitch. It's only money - I will make more....

Several times on this forum a couple good dudes have helped me out by lending me gear to check out or even sending me gear that I was interested in buying to check out before sending them a dime. I really appreciated those gestures and was more than willing to pay it forward.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I let another dad from my kid's school borrow my bag for a few day trip. All went well, I didn't have any real concerns on it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I kept my Kifaru Longhunter as a loaner. So far it has gone on 4 or 5 hunts carried by others. I'd loan out my Reckoning for a weekend checkout.

Trial153

WKR
Just me, I would take the shot if I thought I was helping someone out. Th way I figure it is worst case scenario I lost a pack, it wouldn't be life changing for me.

And if the pack is lost or destroyed it is a reason to buy another one. I know they are expensive but let’s face it we are all gear junkies and any chance to get more is a awesome.

Shrek

WKR
As long as my gut tells me it’s ok I will lend out just about anything I have. I’m lending my ATX 95 and Sawtooth with stove this fall as sadly I’m not using it. You always need to be ready to be disappointed in people and own that you are doing it to be the man you want to be and that people are human and will disappoint you but you have not let yourself down.

Muttly

WKR
About the same as most, if my gut says no, it doesn't go. That being said, it s a pretty rare thing for me to get burned. Along the years, I have adopted a " if you can't afford to lose it, don't lend it" attitude. Have a couple spare packs and extra gear that are getting sent out the door with kids every year. Picked up a rifle with the intent of having it available as a loaner.
7 Mag, no takers yet, but somebody's gotta get adventurous!!..

MtnMuley

WKR
I've loaned several packs, optics, clothes, boots, guns, etc. Never been burnt. Most all are respectable and I always give respectable guys the benefit of the doubt.

Boman

Lil-Rokslider
About 10 years ago I had a guy from Canada that bought a scope from me ask me to take him deer hunting. I said sure since I wasn't doing anything that season. On day 5 of 7 into the hunt I had to get to work. He asked to use my pack and shooting sticks I said sure. We had scheduled to meet up after the hunt. I call and nothing. Call again and so on. My hunt started in a couple days. I get ahold if his wife and she says he had to head home and didnt have time to get my stuff back to me. He ended up buying me everything new at Cabelas and overnighted it to me. I was bitter about the whole thing even though he got everything replaced. He also passed on about 10 good bucks and 2 180 bucks because he "wanted a good buck" it was a weird deal all around.

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
I've loaned several packs, optics, clothes, boots, guns, etc. Never been burnt. Most all are respectable and I always give respectable guys the benefit of the doubt.

This is where I'm at, I enjoy loaning stuff out and almost never have had a problem. I'll loan anything including my boat and truck to people I know

frankrb3

WKR
I wouldn’t do it unless it was family or a very good and trusted friend. I don’t make a lot of money and my gear is important to me. As much as I wish i could sit here and say that I would do it to help someone out, the truth is I wouldn’t. Maybe that will change in the future if I ever make a lot more money or end up with duplicate items but I can’t afford to be burned on a lot of the things I now count on having for my own hunts.