Lemhi, Idaho Elk Hunting Blues

This UNIT 29, Sparky has 35,000 acres private land in his advertisements. Is it worth $9,500 ??
Or is the area swamped with orange men OTC? I never hunted Idaho. Looking to get away from Colorado, but I'd like to get a small bull.

OP
MWElk hunter
This UNIT 29, Sparky has 35,000 acres private land in his advertisements. Is it worth $9,500 ??
Or is the area swamped with orange men OTC? I never hunted Idaho. Looking to get away from Colorado, but I'd like to get a small bull.
I have no idea. I was on public ground. I was also hunting with a bow.

Lemhi is unit 29 at Leadore i believe. All the elk are on Sparky's land and all the hunters are on the public land. 100's of hunters , upon 100's of hunters. Made that mistake in 2017. Wont hunt that area again.
Same here and I live in Idaho.

Last edited:
you went to one of the most publicized archery units in Idaho. Been that way since the 90s. And hey, you shot an elk!

Sorry you were disappointed, but I find this one hard to pin on F&G. If they cut tags up there, be ready to not hunt it as you won't get a tag. Just the way it is as soon as they cap it. all the hunt services list it as a must apply, and only a handful of guys get to go. Then the pendulum swings the other way, "I can't draw! DAMN ( )ahns" fill in the state.

Keep trying, you learned where the elk are. And most people didn't report a heavy bugle (yet) this year. go back next year and take advantage of what you learned. Or start over somewhere else (that will have hunters too)
Gotta agree with you on this Robby, more regs and putting a cap on a unit that is already capped for rifles on elk will just prevent us from being able to chase elk with a bow. Gotta have Realistic expectations on a unit you have never hunted. I’ve spent a life time learning the unit that I hunt and find that more time spent in the field and learning animal behavior in your unit can separate you from the crowds and from zones elk just don’t hangout in during your season. More time spent in the field and boots on the ground! Everyone should look into Robby Dennings books it has changed my entire perspective on hunting.