Leica Trinovid HD hands on experience?

Hey All!

I've been combing the threads for reviews on the Trinovid HDs and cant come up with much aside from WTS/WTT and some quick comments here and there.

I'm looking to upgrade to an 8x42 in the $1k or less class of binos. I've briefly handled the trinovids and Zeiss conquest HDs in 10x42 and I 100% preferred the trinovids across the board. Just looking for some hands on experience with them to push me over the edge.

How's the low light capability?
Does the non-locking diopter become an issue?
Is there a real risk of scratching the lenses as there is no protective coating applied?

Thanks!

Tried both of those, and also preferred the Trinovid to the Conquest in 8x42. Colors were brighter on the Trinovid, eye relief for me was better and I liked the form factor.

I ended up buying the Maven B1.2 8x42, and it wasnt really close for me. The FOV on the B1.2 is 420 at 1k. 384 for the Conquest and 372 for the Trinovid. Optically the B1.2s are every bit as good. Its a minor feature overall, but the focus wheel on the B1.2 is in a league of its own.

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
I sold a pair of swaro SLC 10's after a season and bought the Trinovid HD 8x42's. Nothing wrong with the swaro's, but to my eye the Leica's were a lateral move in terms of optical quality, better FOV, 8x suited my hunting better and I saved like $700 or something that I put into other gear, not to mention I wasn't anxious about damaging my precious. Did this at the end of 2015 and haven't had a single regret. Would buy again. Mine have been banged around in my truck, in all kinds of weather, hunting the coast & mountains... generally good solid hunting and off season rugged use. Not abused though and usually in a kuiu bino pouch. I clean them once a year or as needed. No issues with lenses that I'm aware of. No issues with the non locking diopter either

Couple years ago I bought a set of old school like '06 manufactured 12x50 Trinovids and they have been awesome too. A bit porky but for $600 in mint condition I've got no complaints.

Newer stuff is probably as good or better I suppose. I consider these a working man's alpha glass.

Last edited:
OP
roberteifert12
I sold a pair of swaro SLC 10's after a season and bought the Trinovid HD 8x42's. Nothing wrong with the swaro's, but to my eye the Leica's were a lateral move in terms of optical quality, better FOV, 8x suited my hunting better and I saved like $700 or something that I put into other gear, not to mention I wasn't anxious about damaging my precious. Did this at the end of 2015 and haven't had a single regret. Would buy again. Mine have been banged around in my truck, in all kinds of weather, hunting the coast & mountains... generally good solid hunting and off season rugged use. Not abused though and usually in a kuiu bino pouch. I clean them once a year or as needed. No issues with lenses that I'm aware of. No issues with the non locking diopter either

Couple years ago I bought a set of old school like '06 manufactured 12x50 Trinovids and they have been awesome too. A bit porky but for $600 in mint condition I've got no complaints.

Newer stuff is probably as good or better I suppose. I consider these a working man's alpha glass.
Great to hear your experience! With used SLCs still commanding big $$, the Leicas are very intriguing to me. How do you find their low light capability?

gbflyer

WKR
Never compared them side by side in the field. In the store the Swaro’s looked better but not $700 more better. I have had the Leica for 4-5 years. No complaints. They ride around in my boat a lot. Their neck strap - case deal it comes with is stupid.

I looked at the Trinovids in a store a few years ago.
No question they're a quality piece.
They did have a brighter, almost artificial hue to them.
For whatever reason, I preferred the warmer tone of other binoculars.
Maybe I'm off on that....

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
Great to hear your experience! With used SLCs still commanding big $$, the Leicas are very intriguing to me. How do you find their low light capability?
Good enough for me. However, I don't often find myself needing to glass difficult terrain in low light conditions. My hunting mainly consists of scanning reprods 500-1500 yards away in often rainy or windy conditions, or hot and dry conditions if archery. Being able to hold steady with my hat brim while I scan and peeking into uncut timber is important for me. Picking up the faint difference in color hue of game vs foliage is also key. That said, I'm not an optics expert and can't really compare everything that's out there as in the last 15 years I went from ancient Nikons the pilgrims brought over on the Mayflower to non hd vortex vipers to the swaro slc's to the Leica's.

Nevetssf

FNG
I've got the Trinovid 8x32's and they're a great carry-everywhere pair. Very sharp and immersive - I expect the 42's are similar. Fit perfectly in my hand - the FOV is a bit small but they fit like a glove and are super-stable to hold.

Throw away the case or use it to store fishing bait.