Leica or Leupold range finder?

hntnnut

Lil-Rokslider
OK i'm looking for a new range finder and have narrowed it down to the Leupold RX 1000i TBR or the Leica CRF 1000-R Is the Leica worth the extra 200 doller price tag? Which one would you all get?

Richard

OR Archer

WKR
I believe it is. The Leica is always spot on. VERY clear optics and a bright reticle. And its very fast. Don't get me wrong the Leupold is a nice rangefinder but the Leica is definitely better.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Go with the Leica it is money well spent. Just a step up from the leupold and will always get you a read.

MattB

WKR
The Leica is nice. The only downside is the ~2 second delay to get the TBR distance.

jns9661

FNG
leupold has the 1200i tbr and dna out now super fast and alot of different settings. I played with one 2 days ago i will have one this year. dont like the 2 sec delay on the leica. leupold might be faster. no delay on the yardage cut

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I haven't used the leupold but my Nikon has a hard time ranging past 400 yds in open country. My dad had a leicea and it is awsome. Always picks up the range. Also if you can get the 1600. There are times where I spot an animal and I want to know the distance to a location to see where I need to stalk to. And it was beyond my dad's range finder.

wapitibob

WKR
I personally would get the Leica 1000r. Leupold missed the boat on the 1200i. The 1200i uses Cosine only angle comp, but only to 125 yards, in bow mode. Longer tbr shots require you to use TBR mode and that mode uses ballistics to modify the true horizontal distance. Their manual shows a 400 yard example at 30 degrees with a TBR distance of 367. A 400 yard distance at 30 deg is actually 346. The Leica 1000r uses Cosine only out to 600 yards. I "shoot in" my rifle drops and would personally never use a modified solution rangefinder.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shooting long range I've been around a few Lupy's that lie. Haven't seen a Leica lie yet.

Like my older leica and bought it for not onlhy the quality of the glass but because it is a one trick pony. Had a cheapy nikon before with all the modes that just made the unit a pia to use. To me the one button is the quickest most reliable and no surprises when you need a fast accurate readout

I just upgraded from the Vortex to the Leica 1000-R. The optics on the Leica are far superior, it rambles super fast and easily hits 1000 yards in all light conditions. I have no experience with the Leupold.

One issue I have, however, is that there is a microchip shaped red hologram around the aiming dot. It's most visible at shorter ranges (less than 100 yards) against a darker backstop, but it's definitely there. I also notice some fringing (small dots) around the numbers. Anyone else have this on their 1000-R, or did I get a lemon?

Straight6

FNG
I just got my Leica 1000-R after losing my CRF 900 in Idaho last year. Cameraland has demo models that can save you a little bit of money. Loving the 1000 already, had it out shooting this weekend. Never had my Leica fail me yet (until I dropped it in a downfall jungle and couldn't find it, they should a GPS beacon on those things!). I have played with friends Leupolds and have not been all that impressed with them.

I have the leica 1000r and love it. Good glass, easy readout and reads every time even on past 1000

OP
hntnnut

hntnnut

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies looks like I will be getting the Leica.

Richard