Leica Geovid Pro 10x32 ***Updated 10/17/22***

I could likely get away with 6x if all I did was stumble around with a bow or rifle and looked for something to shoot. But strategic glassing, finding bedded animals and trophies like mid day muleys or if sheep and tearing apart mountain sides at distance on a tripod wasn't a thing, pulling a mountain 40% closer is no joke, 6x would be just for if you enjoyed the view and weren't too serious imo. Wait till you try your 10x50's on a tripod...then wait till you put 10x32 alpha class right beside them on a tripod...yes the 10x32 is less friendly hand holding but when you're hand holding you're on the ground in range where you'll see what you need anyway, the 10x32 mounted will allow you to find so much more game than the 6x any which way, 40% more range is 40% more range, it's a big deal in this game.
I could get away with no glass at all if all I did was stumble around and look for something to shoot. I like the ability to visually cover more ground in less time. If something catches my eye and I need a better look I can put the small spotter up. That 40% more power comes at a price and most of my glassing is hand held. Someone posted that they come in 8X. That has my interest and I’m going to check out the specs and cost. Still not 100% sure what I want to blow my bonus on next year 😉

Last edited:

parshal

WKR
I have the 8's. I also use 8x32 ELs for all my wide open hunting here in the west. The alpha glass in lower magnification more than makes up for the higher magnification of mid-tier glass and I get FOV. If a need a closer look with the spotter when using 8's my buddies also need the spotter with their alpha 10's and 12's (which I also own).

They come in 8x so start looking🧐 Better yet, buy them. We need more users.
I’m interested… after looking at the specs I’d need to be able to compare them in the field to be completely convinced to drop $2,900. They weigh 6 ounces more than my current binocular plus my rangefinder. The glass would have to outperform what I have now by a pretty big margin (including 45 minutes before sunrise) to convince me to add 6+ ounces to my carried weight and nudge out other things I intend to upgrade. Does Leica have a rental/loaner program? Trying before buying would help me to be more critical. Once nearly $3k is spent many people will justify the beyond diminishing returns purchase to themselves. Looking for low to no cost removes any placebo effect from the test.

Last edited:
10x is still hand holdable, 10x32's still great in a tree stand, 10x on a tripod can run with all but the 15's at extreme distances (2 miles and beyond), 50% more in the 15's pulls a 3 mile mountain into 1.5 miles, 15x inside a mile is actually too much imo, too slow so it also has trade offs that make it less versatile, 40% closer on a 10x vs a 6x is almost the same difference, but the 10x you can use everywhere including pulling apart a mountain up to 2 miles which is very common in my world...6x simply won't compute, it will work for the mountain side right in front of you perhaps but that's about it, strap your boots up and prepare to sweat, good for the kids in the back seat and bowhunting, as I said, if you can have multiple options and friends along with multiple options great, if you are a one man show that needs max versatility to do it all from pronghorns to sheep, bow and rifle, the 10x32 alpha is your huckleberry, you give up too much on the serious mounted glassing with 8's to offset a bit of hand hold comfort...majority of the game is found with naked eye or mounted glass, I found up to 90% more game once I moved to mounted (window or tripod) and 10x lets me do it to a couple miles while giving up nothing in the tree stand or hiking and within shooting distances. Anything will work better than naked eyes but try it all and if you hunt the same things in similar terrains there's one combo that's most versatile in most categories of need/desire. You're welcome. ;)

also sheep apparently have 8x vision compared to us...I want that 20% advantage on those buggers

10x is still hand holdable, 10x32's still great in a tree stand, 10x on a tripod can run with all but the 15's at extreme distances (2 miles and beyond), 50% more in the 15's pulls a 3 mile mountain into 1.5 miles, 15x inside a mile is actually too much imo, too slow so it also has trade offs that make it less versatile, 40% closer on a 10x vs a 6x is almost the same difference, but the 10x you can use everywhere including pulling apart a mountain up to 2 miles which is very common in my world...6x simply won't compute, it will work for the mountain side right in front of you perhaps but that's about it, strap your boots up and prepare to sweat, good for the kids in the back seat and bowhunting, as I said, if you can have multiple options and friends along with multiple options great, if you are a one man show that needs max versatility to do it all from pronghorns to sheep, bow and rifle, the 10x32 alpha is your huckleberry, you give up too much on the serious mounted glassing with 8's to offset a bit of hand hold comfort...majority of the game is found with naked eye or mounted glass, I found up to 90% more game once I moved to mounted (window or tripod) and 10x lets me do it to a couple miles while giving up nothing in the tree stand or hiking and within shooting distances. Anything will work better than naked eyes but try it all and if you hunt the same things in similar terrains there's one combo that's most versatile in most categories of need/desire. You're welcome. ;)

also sheep apparently have 8x vision compared to us...I want that 20% advantage on those buggers
Edit: I see you are from Alberta. If I had regular access to Stone Sheep hunting and backpacked in for them; those 10x32 would probably make my short list. I’d likely bring those, a lightweight tripod and a 50-65mm spotter. The only sheep I’ve hunted are Dall (much easier to spot).

Sounds like you have found your ideal glass. While I appreciate your input. Your way isn’t necessarily the best way for everyone. I am a one man show. I’ve never sat in a treestand and doubt I ever will. I like to cover lots of ground both with boots and eyes. I can identify animals at over a mile away with 6X and farther with my 8X. To me, any significant step up in magnification also requires an increase in objective diameter. I almost always go the less is more route in nearly all gear I carry. I also like to have a fairly wide range of options at home and in the truck. This lets me pick the ideal tool to carry for a task. It’s a personal thing. If I expect 20° lows I bring my 30° bag. If I expect lows down to 10° I bring my 20° bag. The 10 power niche would be filled by bigger glass and be used for looking at mountains 2+ miles away. That would be truck based glassing. Glassing on a backpacking hunt will be mostly the mountainside right in front of me. That was a lot of words to just say that I personally don’t have a niche use for 10x32. The 8x32 could be a different story. I’d need to look through them and be nearly blown away to replace the gear I already have for that purpose.

Last edited:
when I'm in the tighter valleys I'm naked eye for anything that looks interesting then any bino will do to quick check as you go, the same can't be said for setting down to pull a mountain apart at 1.5 to 2 miles...the 10x still steps to the plate, give it shot, it's game changer on tripod when you wanna save some miles, maybe you like all that exercise? ;)

…too slow so it also has trade offs that make it less versatile,
This applies every time magnification is increased. In keeping with some of your points, naked eyes are the fastest and can potentially gather the most light but show the least amount of detail at distance. The other end of the spectrum is a 60x spotter. Conditions and personal taste dictate the glass I use within that spectrum.

Putting any glass on a tripod is a game changer. There is a very good chance I’d buy $2,900 10x32 alpha glass/rangefinder if I had the option to frequently go on backpack Stone sheep hunts. In some local elk country I can see for miles. I can also drive or ride my bicycle to glassing spots in that country. In other country I can’t see far enough to justify carrying the extra weight of bigger glass and the extra magnification isn’t useful anyway. When hiking I usually know where I’m going and try to pick the lightest setup that will work well for the area. I can’t glass the areas I backpack into from miles away at the truck. They are mostly tight canyons.

Something else to consider, there is more available daylight in northern B.C. and Alberta in August than there is in Wyoming in September to late October. On the couple of sheep hunts I went on I didn’t need to glass in the dark. Here I do. Low light performance is something I put high value on for the conditions I currently hunt.

It’s very cool that we have so many options. I don’t believe there is any one piece of glassing gear that covers everything perfectly. Same reason I have more than a hammer in my toolbox. I don’t own a conduit bender. If I were going to build a big steel shop I’d probably buy one.

Last edited:

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
Edit: I see you are from Alberta. If I had regular access to Stone Sheep hunting and backpacked in for them; those 10x32 would probably make my short list. I’d likely bring those, a lightweight tripod and a 50-65mm spotter. The only sheep I’ve hunted are Dall (much easier to spot).

Sounds like you have found your ideal glass. While I appreciate your input. Your way isn’t necessarily the best way for everyone. I am a one man show. I’ve never sat in a treestand and doubt I ever will. I like to cover lots of ground both with boots and eyes. I can identify animals at over a mile away with 6X and farther with my 8X. To me, any significant step up in magnification also requires an increase in objective diameter. I almost always go the less is more route in nearly all gear I carry. I also like to have a fairly wide range of options at home and in the truck. This lets me pick the ideal tool to carry for a task. It’s a personal thing. If I expect 20° lows I bring my 30° bag. If I expect lows down to 10° I bring my 20° bag. The 10 power niche would be filled by bigger glass and be used for looking at mountains 2+ miles away. That would be truck based glassing. Glassing on a backpacking hunt will be mostly the mountainside right in front of me. That was a lot of words to just say that I personally don’t have a niche use for 10x32. The 8x32 could be a different story. I’d need to look through them and be nearly blown away to replace the gear I already have for that purpose.
In my opinion the glass in any Geovid of any magnification is not mind blowing. What you pay for is the laser technology and AB at the press of a button. At the moment the Geovid pros are the most advanced range finding binos on the market, not the best glass on the market. If you’re looking for mind blowing glass, keep looking. If you’re looking for technology look no further.

In my opinion the glass in any Geovid of any magnification is not mind blowing. What you pay for is the laser technology and AB at the press of a button. At the moment the Geovid pros are the most advanced range finding binos on the market, not the best glass on the market. If you’re looking for mind blowing glass, keep looking. If you’re looking for technology look no further.
The technology I have works for me. I couldn’t justify the extra 6 ounces and $2,900 for what would be a bunch of technological features I doubt I’d use. So long as my rangefinder is accurate enough and accounts for shot angle I’m happy. The one I have also has ballistic data that matches my pet handloads very well.

Last edited:

Mhopper5

Lil-Rokslider
The technology I have works for me. I couldn’t justify the extra 6 ounces and $2,900 for what would be a bunch of technologist features I doubt I’d use. So long as my rangefinder is accurate enough and accounts for shot angle I’m happy. The one I have also has ballistic data that matches my pet handloads very well.
Then I suspect we won’t be hearing from you anymore on the subject 🤷‍♂️

I’m glad you are able to find contentment. I myself am still searching 🔎

Then I suspect we won’t be hearing from you anymore on the subject 🤷‍♂️

I’m glad you are able to find contentment. I myself am still searching 🔎
Oh hey thanks for the reminder! I’ll do my best to not let it happen again on account of how bad I feel. Should I PM you before sharing my thoughts or would you prefer I call first? We could really save some trouble if you’d go ahead and shoot me a list of threads I should participate in. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Jimbee

WKR
Oh hey thanks for the reminder! I’ll do my best to not let it happen again on account of how bad I feel. Should I PM you before sharing my thoughts or would you prefer I call first? We could really save some trouble if you’d go ahead and shoot me a list of threads I should participate in. Thanks in advance!
Care to share your setup?

this will be critical for me, I will have to take my ultravid hd's and side by side compare to these geovid pro, I had a 1st gen geovid and they weren't even close to alpha class glass but I keep reading they've narrowed the gap considerably so it's on my radar again...if the gap isn't super tight then I'm out, I will remain ultravid hd 10x32 with the small crf leica rangefinder, maybe upgrade the rangefinder to one with angle comp so I can hand the 1600 down to one of my kids

how narrow is this gap now between geovid pro to alpha as compared to gen 1 geovid to alpha? anyone please offer some opinions here

The technology I have works for me. I couldn’t justify the extra 6 ounces and $2,900 for what would be a bunch of technological features I doubt I’d use.
I'm weighing out the same. I currently run 10x32 alpha and small rangefinder that can't be beat for weight and versatility but the geovid pro might add enough versatility to offset the 6 oz tax. If image gap isn't hairline thin between these and alpha glass though I can quit reading about this damn geovid pro right now. ;)

I have the 8x32 Pro and EL. The EL is much brighter than the Pro.
that's a tough compare going between brands imo, I find the warmer tint on swaro vs leica products would be an issue, but you could probably discuss resolution ability and a few other points, you'd really wanna put the geovid pro up against the against the alpha leica of same size to really gauge this rf vs alpha gap I'm thinking, but thanks for the insight, it's a start

I'm sure swaro can see the buzz on these geovid pro so it won't be long before they bring a competitor...then those can be put against the alpha Swaro's and that gap can be known.

OR...maybe guys have done current 'same brand' 42mm comparisons and that gap is already known?

ie; if the alpha is 100% would the new rf combo's be 98%? I know the gen 1 geovid vs alpha would be more like 85-90%...so how far have they come?

JGRaider

WKR
If I were that concerned about the optical performance gap between an alpha glass and the Geo pros, since every optical review is subjective, I wouldn't trust anyone's eyes over my own. That's the only way you're gonna know. Expecting the glass in any bino/rf unit to be on par with the best alpha's is wishful thinking anyway, IMO.

Care to share your setup?
I don’t have anything special and I haven’t dropped the dough on the super high end stuff. I’d love to get some top shelf glass but it isn’t my first priority. Right now I have:

Maven B.3 6x30 - for most things I’ll do backpacking. These are new so I’ve only played with them in the desert near my house but I’m confident I can find elk over a mile away with them.

Zeiss Conquest T* ABK 8x40 - they work well from a tripod. They were my only binocular. I wanted something lighter weight so I bought the Maven. I’ll keep these in the truck along with a tripod for looking from areas that are easier to access. Also as a backup and for short backpack scouting in the summer.

Leupold golden ring 15-30 x 50mm spotter. Not super fancy or expensive but it is very lightweight. Mostly for scouting.

Rangefinder is a Leupold RX 1300i TBR - it only weighs 5.5 ounces and works well for me. Leupold sold it to me for 50% off when my really old Leupold finally died.

I’d like to add a 10x50 binocular for tripod use and scouting. I’d also bring it for Barbary Sheep if/when I do that. I’m not very Mule deer focused but I think this would be great for finding bedded bucks.

The idea of combining my backpacking binocular with my rangefinder is very appealing but only if there is a negligible weight penalty. 6 ounces isn’t negligible IMO. Also, for that kind of money the glass better be very impressive. I’ll keep using what I have until the unicorn combination if lightweight + great glass + just enough technology (TBR and ballistic data) comes along.

My 6x30 with homemade paracord harness weighs 19 ounces. The rangefinder weighs 5.5 ounces with battery.

This Leica Geovid Pro 8x32 weighs 30.7 ounces without battery. I’m sure the glass is better than anything I have. I just doubt it’s enough better to spend nearly $3k and add over 6 ounces. I’ll be patient.

Last edited:
I don’t have anything special and I haven’t dropped the dough on the super high end stuff. I’d love to get some top shelf glass but it isn’t my first priority. Right now I have:

Maven B.3 6x30 - for most things I’ll do backpacking. These are new so I’ve only played with them in the desert near my house but I’m confident I can find elk over a mile away with them.

Zeiss Conquest T* ABK 8x40 - they work well from a tripod. They were my only binocular. I wanted something lighter weight so I bought the Maven. I’ll keep these in the truck along with a tripod for looking from areas that are easier to access. Also as a backup and for short backpack scouting in the summer.

Leupold golden ring 15-30 x 50mm spotter. Not super fancy or expensive but it is very lightweight. Mostly for scouting.

Rangefinder is a Leupold RX 1300i TBR - it only weighs 5.5 ounces and works well for me. Leupold sold it to me for 50% off when my really old Leupold finally died.

I’d like to add a 10x50 binocular for tripod use and scouting. I’d also bring it for Barbary Sheep if/when I do that. I’m not very Mule deer focused but I think this would be great for finding bedded bucks.

The idea of combining my backpacking binocular with my rangefinder is very appealing but only if there is a negligible weight penalty. 6 ounces isn’t negligible IMO. Also, for that kind of money the glass better be very impressive. I’ll keep using what I have until the unicorn combination if lightweight + great glass + just enough technology (TBR and ballistic data) comes along.

My 6x30 with homemade paracord harness weighs 19 ounces. The rangefinder weighs 5.5 ounces with battery.

This Leica Geovid Pro 8x32 weighs 30.7 ounces without battery. I’m sure the glass is better than anything I have. I just doubt it’s enough better to spend nearly $3k and add over 6 ounces. I’ll be patient.
the Nikon monarch 7 8x30 is about that 19 oz range, I picked one up as bow/loaner option and it's great value bino...but on a tripod against my ultravid 10x32's pulling apart a mountain to actually finding needles in haystacks...it can't compete, it's an entirely different level of image and comfort etc., time behind the glass counts, it sounds like you just don't know what you're missing yet and you're trying to sell us, and yourself, a narrative that makes only you comfortable ;)

for me, as the poster above you suggested, it's clear I'll have to put my ultravid hd's up against the geovid pro in person and spend a bit of time comparing before I eat a 6 oz tax and empty wallet tax, the image and comfort has to be within a couple percentage points for me to consider this move