Leica CRF Pro Rangefinder

RyanC

WKR
I'm going to have to get used to the firmer button on the the Leica. After so many years with the Sig Kilo, I feel like I have to mash the Leica button to the point of making it more difficult to hold steady. I'm assuming I'll eventually get used to this, or that the button will soften with use.
I was going to mention the firmer button push on the Leica but thought I was being overly critical......I couldn't agree more!! Coming from the Sig, which was buttery soft, that Leica button is just a bit too firm in my opinion. But like you said, I'll get used to it

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I've notcited the Leica wants to flicker a bit as you move the image/pan, I think it is the LED display just reacting? Mine is bright and setting wise it sure seems like it is just fixed levels, but I do see some variation in brightness when moving the RF.

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
I went ahead and bought the CRF Pro and it’s unusable in my opinion. The display is unreadable. I don’t want to mess around with warranty so will just return it. Almost no brightness to it. Super disappointing because I love my other Leica.

Last edited:
That sucks man! I wouldn't deal with warranty on a new unit either. Definitely not while you're still under the return window.

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, super disappointing. I love my Leica 2400r and really wanted this one to work for me. I’m thinking of just buying the Revic Br4.

I've been playing with mine in different lighting conditions. It is auto dimming. I can't quite tell if it's based on back lighting or front lighting. Front would make sense to me based on the lenses. It does seem like Leica has some quality issues going on with the CRF-Pro displays. Brightness levels 1-3 are useless.

The unit seems to struggle the most when you are ranging a light-colored background in bright daylight conditions with the sun at your back. It auto-dims too much. In this situation I had a difficult time picking up the reticle on a dapple-gray horse. I could stand in the same position but turn 180 degrees and the unit would be very bright. I tested my Sig Kilo 2000 in similar settings, and it behaves similarly. But its reticle and distance display are much larger, so it is easier to pick-up.

For my new replacement Leica, at brightness level 5, I haven't found it to be unusable. In low light, there are no problems at all.

I plan to keep this replacement CRF-Pro. So far, I prefer the speed of follow-up ranging and the actual range button on the old Sig. I much prefer the image in the Leica.

Anybody completely satisfied with theirs?

It seems like everybody has one issue or another with this model?

I’m currently shopping for a new range finder, and i’m glad i stumbled on this thread

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Anybody completely satisfied with theirs?

It seems like everybody has one issue or another with this model?

I’m currently shopping for a new range finder, and i’m glad i stumbled on this thread
Couldn’t say without some foul weather hunting. Will report once I’ve seen its performance in some worse conditions besides 85 and sunny!

RyanC

WKR
I can't really say whether I am in love with it or not as I've only used it on an archery range 5-6 times. I will say, the more I use it, the more I like it. Two things I didn't like the first couple times using it (Brightness level and stiff range button) I've gotten use to. I will see how it performs on an upcoming elk hunt and then this fall rifle hunting.

OP
autumnaspens
I have noticed the issue of brightness with my personal CRF Pro unit. As others have said, the CRF Pro doesn't have an auto-brightness setting like previous Leica RFs. It gives you level 1-5 to choose from, and I have kept mine on 5 the entire time I've had it so that it's bright enough to see the readout in sunny conditions. It could probably afford to come with a 6th brightness level. However, that extra brightness might be too much during twilight, so it would be a potential trade-off.

If you point the unit up towards the sky or depending on the level of sunlight exposure where you are, the reticle will fade out to the point it can be hard to see. I too was concerned by this initially, but I haven't had this be a problem in any of the hunting conditions I've faced. This is between a bear hunt in ID in May and now a elk hunt in CO earlier this month; i.e. using the unit to measure targets found in nature. However, I could definitely see the dimming or fading out being a cause for concern for some users.

Also, other folks are correct on the button pressure. It is a little heavier than previous leica models, but I have gotten used to it. I'd say maybe 20% heavier if I had to guess. It hasn't been an issue for me to hold steady. I think the unit just fits my hand well enough that I can still be steady to my liking. That understandably won't be the case for everyone.

All other features of the rangefinder have been operating well thus far in all the conditions I've faced. I will say I haven't used the unit in prolonged field temperatures below freezing yet. It did spend a couple of nights in my freezer, and that went fine. Yardage readings have been consistent and reliable. Battery life has been very good as long as bluetooth isn't left on constantly. The unit isn't perfect, but I have enjoyed it enough that I have kept it and continued to use it as my "do it all" unit up to this point in 2024. A big part of the decision for me is the excellent glass in the leica units and how fine the reticle and number readout is, just a very clean look. I just really enjoy having an RF that I can take quick glances with and still enjoy a quality image (good brightness & FOV) that's true-to-color and doesn't give up much to my binos. Don't miss the days of blue tint and thick, starburst reticles at all. Also the new passport warranty they offer on sport optics is nice.

Those aspects make the other issues indicated palatable for me. As long as I don't have any major electronical failure or warranty issue, I see myself sticking with this unit for a while.

Last edited: