Leica 3200.com Ranging

Kevin Bogert

Lil-Rokslider
Can't tell if this is user error or I just had higher expectations.. I got these binoculars and have messed around with them quite a bit, the ranging whenever I've used them this summer etc. has seemed on par with what I expected.

Last week I went on an antelope and I was really frustrated with the ranging. Several times can't even get a reading on anything unless I shot some grass that was less than 20 yards in front me. Is there some tricks or tips? Clean the laser? New battery even though there should be plenty of battery life. Turn off the ballistics calculator so it is just ranging? Does the ranging struggle in sage brush country? Low light? I couldn't even get readings at what I guessed 250-300 yards, let alone a hill top any farther. Are there settings I need to adjust or try to be shooting to range other things?

Theres been so many good things said about them and I just was not seeing it and really frustrated when needing a quick range on an antelope.

Any input? Suggestions? Help?
Considered calling Leica and just seeing what they have to say?

OP
Kevin Bogert

Kevin Bogert

Lil-Rokslider
Firmware update maybe? I have not looked to ensure it's up to date but pretty sure it is. Will double check

JGRaider

WKR
You had the same exact problems I had with, not 1, but 2 different 3200's. Neither RF worked as promised, and the user interface was simply terrible. I abandoned ship on those 3200's completely. The RF paled in comparison to a simple Sig 2200 BDX.

OP
Kevin Bogert

Kevin Bogert

Lil-Rokslider
You had the same exact problems I had with, not 1, but 2 different 3200's. Neither RF worked as promised, and the user interface was simply terrible. I abandoned ship on those 3200's completely. The RF paled in comparison to a simple Sig 2200 BDX.
Did you contact leica and get a replacement pair or what do you mean no1 but 2?

How is it possible there are so many good reviews on them if this is a common issue?! I can't even google the problem without coming across threads and reviews of people raving about them.

Sorry if my frustration is coming through..

JGRaider

WKR
Believe me I was frustrated too. I bought a new/demo that wouldn't range properly so I sent it to Leica CS. They said they fixed it and sent it back, still wouldn't range big tank batteries (I live in the oilfield) past 600 yards so i sent them back again. They finally relented and sent me a new pair only have it do the exact same thing. I kept telling them my Sig's would range them with ease under any condition I attempted. They basically said the new replacements were up to spec, so I sold them and said screw it. I know lots of people love 'em, I'm not one of them.

OP
Kevin Bogert

Kevin Bogert

Lil-Rokslider
I'm afraid I am going to be one of those people as well if it doesn't get resolved. I can buy a rangefinder for $150 that will range a tree at 350 yards. and I was getting nothing with these...
WAY too expensive for what I've gotten so far. Guess I'll reach out to Leica and see what they can do.

Anyone else had this issue? Maybe I got a bad model or something. Was hoping I was just using them wrong somehow

JGRaider

WKR
Another nitpicking thing for me is that the 3200's are almost $3k. For that you'd think you'd get AB Elite software that doesn't stop at 800 yds. A freaking Vortex Fury AB does a better job in several areas......AB elite, wind input, and obviously warranty. Optically the 3200's are way better, but that's the only area I'd say the Leica bests the Fury AB;s.

OP
Kevin Bogert

Kevin Bogert

Lil-Rokslider
Put this to the top. Anyone else had experience with these binos?