Layering options for WY elk 1st season

Camomanjb

FNG
Hi I am new to the site and typically hunt whitetail and turkey in PA. I am Planning to go backcountry elk hunting with some friends in Wyoming first season rifle 2025. I have some of the gear needed already… Exo 4800 pack, first lite base layers, sitka mountain pants. My question is this what is a good layering system for western elk hunting?

I own various FL pieces and Sitka pieces ( stratus jacket, fanatic jacket, solitude bibs, FL furnace base layers, FL midweight hoodie and Boot top bottoms. but they are mainly for treestand/ whitetail hunting.

Without breaking the bank too much what is a good system to run? I was planning on running the FL wick baselayers, with a mid weight merino layer next followed by mountain pants for the outer bottom layer and was wondering what a good outer top layer would be. I have the New jet stream jacket but it’s rather light and I would like to get a puffy jacket such as the kelvin down or a puffy vest to layer over top of a light jacket. I’m Looking to buy the boots later this year, probably schnees bear tooth and the Sitka when it goes on sale. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.

Markwondi

FNG
I use a combination of First Lite and Kuiu for western hunts (primarily Wyoming):

FL Wick Short Sleeve (Base Layer)
Kuiu Peleton 240 or Strong Fleece 260 (Mid Layer in Cold Weather or Outer Layer in Moderate Temps)
Kuiu Super Down Pro Jacket (Insulation)

In addition, I take rain gear with me and leave it at camp/truck unless I’m confident there will be a soaking rain. If no rain or light rain/snow expected, a soft shell like the Kuiu Axis would be a great layer to have as well.

Hope this helps!

4rcgoat

WKR
Welcome to the site. Weather will be all over the place that time of year. Your bottom layering seems spot on for me. That time of year I will run some sort of thin merino top,followed by another heavy merino. Light weight fleece,insulated wind shear west,and an appropriate top layer.
All that to say that,in 2020 my kid killed his first bull,0 degree weather with 8 to 10 inches fresh snow,1.75 miles from truck. He was wearing carhart pants with muck boots,a few sweatshirts and some cheap jacket. Funny what you can get by with when you need to get it done.

Attachments

• IMG_20221119_133141.jpg
    IMG_20221119_133141.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 43

Ralphie

WKR
I wear base layers from Sierra trading post hiking pants from Costco and Walmart. Condor grid fleece from Amazon Synthetic puffy from Walmart. Roping gloves.

Not very cool I know for YouTube. But the elk are scared to death of my “system I’m running.”

I hate the money I spend on boots. Kenetrek and crispi.

Dsnow9

FNG
Layer up with a range of brands but quality merino is always the under layers. Any western hunt it is always better to prepare for everything and leave some in the truck when you get there. Wether reports are not accurate enough for me to trust a couple days out in the mountains.