Layering for the hike up

Maybe @Erussell01 would be interested in buying it from you. If the size and style work for him.
It will go up for sale at some point with other stuff I tried and didn't like.
I have my system figured out and do need to sell off the things I opted out of.
FYI it's a FL fusion fleece in L

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I’m the opposite. I run way to warm. I didn’t used a vest until this fall. I almost never wear a full jacket since I make the switch. I keep a rain jacket stowed and that’s about it.
Wait.......... We can be different ? How is this possible? There needs to be censoring on this site stopping this nonsense. Where is the Ministry of Truth. Is Elon running this site now?

ColoradoV

WKR
I do 1.5k to 2k real vertical many days at 10-12k ft in elevation. Both in the winter and summer. Takes 2.5 hrs…. No way to stay sweat free no matter what you do. My solution is one many alpinists use to this day.

Cotton T-shirt and a Marino layer. I open the vents on my pants and sweat it out then when I get to where I want to be I zip on my wool bottoms and switch out the cotton layers I have on for 2 in my pack stored in a dry bag. Hang ‘em out to dry when you get the chance. A lot of days I could ring out the sweat from the cotton shirt as it stores that much.

I do the same in the winter for long approaches. If I get cold or sweaty I ditch the cotton and layer up for the day. As on climbs like below a sweat layer is needed..

Cotton for the win!!

439A28AE-3A42-4B3F-ADFB-2B6AB32E8624.jpeg

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Cotton for the win!!
When I sweat out a cotton t-shirt, it's like a straight jacket trying to get it off me. I won't even use cotton t-shirts at home working in the yard anymore. Too much weight after they soak it all up, they take 10 times longer to dry than synthetics or merino, and then of course there's that straight jacket thing which I hate. I'd prefer a dry merino shirt in my pack. But for September, or the summer.......the wet merino is fine.

ColoradoV

WKR
Sometimes in the winter I bring 2 cotton shirts to fill up 😂.. Not a huge problem for me switching them. I know cotton kills right?

Nothing dumps heat like a wet cotton T-shirt. I don’t have a problem getting them dry for the next days hike even on multi day winter trips.

Anyway something to try that works so well for me I doubt I will ever change the way I layer up to hike in or up to wherever.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Sometimes in the winter I bring 2 cotton shirts to fill up 😂.. Not a huge problem for me switching them.
I always did the same thing.........for basketball. Cotton t-shirt under my jersey to soak up the sweat and then change it out during halftime. That thing would weigh like 3+lbs wet. But not the most comfortable setup even then. Much prefer synthetic "layered" over merino.

Last edited:
OP
E
I do 1.5k to 2k real vertical many days at 10-12k ft in elevation. Both in the winter and summer. Takes 2.5 hrs…. No way to stay sweat free no matter what you do. My solution is one many alpinists use to this day.

Cotton T-shirt and a Marino layer. I open the vents on my pants and sweat it out then when I get to where I want to be I zip on my wool bottoms and switch out the cotton layers I have on for 2 in my pack stored in a dry bag. Hang ‘em out to dry when you get the chance. A lot of days I could ring out the sweat from the cotton shirt as it stores that much.

I do the same in the winter for long approaches. If I get cold or sweaty I ditch the cotton and layer up for the day. As on climbs like below a sweat layer is needed..

Cotton for the win!!

View attachment 408415
No kidding.... I can honestly say I haven't heard a lot of praise for cotton. Super awesome it works for you. Can I ask why cotton and not just more merino?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
ltz.gif

ColoradoV

WKR
No kidding.... I can honestly say I haven't heard a lot of praise for cotton. Super awesome it works for you. Can I ask why cotton and not just more merino?

It started in the winters of the late 1990’s.. Marino was just not available in layers like we think of until Patagonia put out some great wool in about 2002-03 or so. We were into snow machines for skiing access big up and downs in heat management and sweat so started bringing sweat layers and switching them out w goggles and gloves when they got wet.

The I don’t use Marino as wool seems to wick the sweat away down the line cotton traps it and cools me off better. Yea there is some water weight but it has not bothered me and I always carry plenty of water. Also Wool is rougher on the skin and much cheaper to sweat out a 10$ T-shirt or 2 than a 100$ Marino layer.

The dude abides…