lathrop and sons

NWhikerAl

FNG
crazy_davey, How do you like the Omegas?
How stiff are they? Can you do an on trail approach in them?
I'm looking for something with a little more support than my Alaskans.

crazy_davey

Lil-Rokslider
I love the Omegas! IMO they are one of the last, best leather mountaineering boots on the market. I am used to fairly stiff boots though, I have been wearing high end leather mountaineering boots for about twenty years now, mountaineering, ice climbing and mountain hunting. Give them a try, sounds like they are what you are looking for.

Keep in mind that there are two models of this boot and I prefer the leather lined boots over the GTX model. I have always preferred leather lined boots over anything else.

Wrongside

WKR
I'd echo crazy_davey regarding the Omegas. They are a superb mountain boot, the best I've owned.

I've never been a fan of the super stiff boots until the country gets real rough and steep, but the Omegas fit me so well I don't mind them for approaches, etc. If you like the Alaskans, but want more support, I'd think you'll be happy with a pair of Omegas. I've used the leather lined Yukon for years before changing to Omegas last winter.

Wrongside

WKR
Daveinjax, I still have and use a pair of Yukons. Great boots, but for mountain hunting/backpacking I like a stiffer boot. Especially with a load in the steep stuff. I still like the Yukons for other uses and will probably get another pair when I spot a good sale. They are probably a better general purpose boot than the Omegas.

Shrek

WKR
I got mine with a 45% off coupon at sierra trading post. All in it was @ $155.00. Don't know how good a deal that is but it was good enough for me:)

sk1

WKR
id be all over those yukons if they had my size in stock yet.......would have saved me $200 on the alaskas i just ordered from lathrop and sons

Tried on my Alaskans this morning, and they seemed very comfortable. Only question I have at this point is whether I should have got them 1/2 size smaller. I'm gonna give them a call and see what my options are for getting a smaller size shipped so that I can confirm which size I should be wearing. Did I metion that they were very comfortable? I only had them on about 10 mins, but I was impressed by the comfort the minute I laced them up.

sk1

WKR
I've been hitting the treadmill with mine trying to decide if the size is right for me or not as well. They seem to be breaking in fairly well but time will tell!

OP
fillthefreezer
so this weekend was the first outside trip with the alaskans, been wearing them inside for a few weeks now. it was alot of walking logging roads and clearcuts with some steep timber, typically 7-10mi a day, 3 days. no blisters. a little soreness but they were kinda sore to start with. i did find they lack some arch support for me and as a quick fix i stole the insole out of my workboots. a lot of wet grass and ferns, creek crossings and a few large puddles, stayed dry and happy. not too warm for the 30-40deg weather. so far so good

I purchased the synergy footbeds with mine, and at $54 per pair, I'm waiting to confirm the correct boot size before cutting them to fit. Everything I've read says that these footbeds will make a good boot great!