Late season cold gear

Nkoza

Lil-Rokslider
So i find myself every year be able to tolerate the cold deer season of MN less and less. As of right now i have the Sitka Stratus bibs and jacket. I layer well under it but it is not enough for our colder days. What is everyone running for late season sits? I want something as warm as possible.

Right now I am looking at the Incinerator set but no one that I know has any real world experience with them.

Tree stand or box blind hunts in MN. I hunt private land so I generally do not have to hike in to a stand

SloppyJ

WKR
Sitka Fanatic bibs and jacket. I love my stratus and it gets used about 50% of the time. The early 25% is FL stuff and the late 25% is the fanatic set with a merino base layer.

They are too warm to walk in with if you're going very far so be sure to have a bag you can stuff them in. Hands down the warmest late season set I've tried. I also use the artic shield zip up boot covers.

Yoder

WKR
I use Cabelas Woolltimate wind shear. Pants and jacket. Merino base layers and a parka shell over my jacket.

If you're on private, why don't you sit in a heated box blind?
You ever think about a heater body suit?
These heated next to skin vest are great as well :

SloppyJ

WKR
This is a great point if it's absolutely nasty outside and I want to get out, I get the buddy heater and hit the blind.

OP
N

Nkoza

Lil-Rokslider
That is a great point. I do hunt out of a Stump 4 with a buddy heater. However the deer don’t always read my play book and often show up on other parts of our farm that we don’t have heated stands on… yet. I’ve looked at heater body suits but never too seriously. Maybe I should reconsider

JGTWI

WKR
The Cabela’s wooltimate set is pretty nice without being too hard on the budget. I have an old set that still gets use from time to time.

The Sitka fanatic is nice, but I’ve always shied away from it due to that thick Berber fleece outer- where I hunt in WI it would be an absolute burr magnet. And I’ve hunted with a buddy who used it when we sat out in some steady rain and it absolutely soaked it up.

The incinerator is probably the warmest late season set I’ve seen, maybe too much so for all but the coldest of days. It’s too warm to walk any distance in, but if you packed it in and didn’t get sweated up you should be all set. But the price of the jacket & bibs is pretty steep for the number of days you’d get to use it.

shwacker

FNG
Enough down and a good sit pad and also a pad below your boots is what I'd be after. If it's wet, wear a poncho over the down if you are sitting in a blind or get a roof or tarp over it.

With down, if they don't list the down fill weight, it probably isn't enough. Box baffles are awesome.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you looked at the SKRE Guardian?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

The Heater Body Suit is where it’s at! I have hunted in -30 degree temps and was nice and toasty. I have tried the Skre Guardian, Sitka Fanatic, and First Lite Sanctuary. Heater body suit beats them all if you are hunting from a stand or stationary. You could also just take a sleeping bag out to the stand and put your lower body in it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeknelk

WKR
The heater body suit is unreal warm. Can't wear something that warm to walk into the stand anyway so just pack one of them. Sat in 10 degree weather. Had to stick a finger out to check the temp😁. With just light clothes on under. Good down puffy layer will work also but aren't very quiet so not sure if that matters for your set ups. The heater suit takes a few seconds to slip arms out and shoot also so not perfect either. All depends on the situation.

Macintosh

WKR
According to sitkas website the jacket you have is made for mid-season temps, not truly cold weather, and is designed to use further insulation under it if colder. Unless you are already layering an insulated or heated jacket underneath it, you could be significantly warmer by simply adding an insulating layer underneath it like a FL Source jacket or similar. If being ultra quiet is not an issue for you, then a light down puffy without a hood is a great mid layer like this.
My wife has a fanatic jacket and bibs. The above criticisms about wet wx and burrs are all true, but she runs cold and loves them when it gets nasty cold out, especially the bibs. They are too warm for all but the coldest weather though, which is why I personally gravitate to more of a layering approach.

*zap*

WKR
Keep your feet dry and warm. Use boot blankets and change socks if you get sweaty walking in. Be bold and start cold....wear very little walking in so you do not perspire and get your base layers damp. Hot hands body warmers....Down jacket with a hood and down pants will be light to carry in and I use the surplus level 4 wind jacket and level 5 shell pants over it....the acu surplus clothes are very reasonably priced and acu is a great pattern for deer because it is such a neutral color.

Good luck.

Last edited: