Late Archery Washington State Desert Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clete

FNG
I wrote a post here about a week ago but it has since gone missing. I don’t know if got deleted or what..I may have made some disparaging comments about WDFW, not sure if that would get a post pulled or not.

Anyhow, my hunting partner and I pulled late archery tags for the Desert unit. The unit is legendary here in Washington but everything I’ve been hearing and reading since I started digging into it is that it may not be the unit it once was. I know the genetics are there and I’m vaguely familiar with the unit through some camping and fishing in my younger years. We have a couple scouting trips planned, at least one in a couple weeks and another closer to our hunt date (opens Nov 16) I’m curious if anyone has ANY input or info that they’d be willing to share that may be helpful for us punching our tags on some decent bucks? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

I always take what is posted on the internet with a grain of salt. The unit may be down but the reality is there are alot of really nice bucks out there still, they dont migrate in there so they are there. Every year there are pics posted of nice bucks killed out there. Think of hunting them like you would whitetails from what I hear. They like the russian olives, thick cover etc. Can glass from the top of the sand dunes too. That late is probably going to be a little post rut. Fog could be an issue that time of year as well. Set a reasonable expectation as to size of buck you'd like to kill, I think you will have a good hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.