LARGEST caliber used for Prairie DOGs .338 LAPUA

Im getting ready to go on a prairie dog trip here in the next several weeks, I'm gonna take several guys along. I have shot then before and always used 223 and 22-250s. I will take them along this time as well but I'm also going to be taking my 338 lapua, 7mm STW, and 6.5 creed to boot. Most have said that is stupid over kill my thoughts are why not I wanna blow the fuckers off the ground and to pieces. I think it would make some fun footage to shoot as well. What are your thoughts. I'll post videos after we go.

hwy1strat

WKR
I’ve shot them with a 308 and most of those bullets just pass right through them and you couldn’t really tell if you hit them. If you have varmint bullets for that 338 then I’d give it a shot. But, if you aren’t shooting varmint bullets then I don’t think those larger calibers will have the effect you are going for

ID_Matt

WKR
I'll bet that 22-250 with a good varmint bullet will provide just as much, if not more effect on a p-dog than a big .338 bullet unless you are loading some soft of super thin varmint special bullet in the 338.

farmermail

Lil-Rokslider
We shoot varmints with our big game guns (for a few shots anyway), makes for great practice. Get 'em out there past 300, decent wind, not an easy target. Use different rests and shot positions as well.

I shot about 7-8 one time with my 6mm Rem. it was the last day of Antelope that year. Definitely launched them .

Geewhiz

WKR
I’ve shot them with a 308 and most of those bullets just pass right through them and you couldn’t really tell if you hit them. If you have varmint bullets for that 338 then I’d give it a shot. But, if you aren’t shooting varmint bullets then I don’t think those larger calibers will have the effect you are going for
Listen to this guy. ^^^

I learned this a couple of years ago shooting wolves and antelope with a 338 rum. Unless they are super thin jacketed varmit rounds (which I don't know of any in 338 cal) the projectiles will just pass right through those tiny bodies without even knowing they hit anything. I think you would do more damage with a varmit bullet out of a 22-250 @3900 fps.

MDT31

FNG
Im getting ready to go on a prairie dog trip here in the next several weeks, I'm gonna take several guys along. I have shot then before and always used 223 and 22-250s. I will take them along this time as well but I'm also going to be taking my 338 lapua, 7mm STW, and 6.5 creed to boot. Most have said that is stupid over kill my thoughts are why not I wanna blow the fuckers off the ground and to pieces. I think it would make some fun footage to shoot as well. What are your thoughts. I'll post videos after we go.
Go big or go home, right? Can't wait to see the videos.

Dennis

WKR
Took my 458 Win Mag one year to Montana to shoot at prairie dogs. Peep sights and 500 grain bullets leave a great dust cloud. I don’t think any prairie dogs were injured, but the look on my buddies face was priceless. My 22-250 was much more effective.

Zdub02

WKR
I made one do a triple backflip when I hit it with a 7RM once. It was fun and comical. My buddy and I still laugh about that one.