Lack of love for waterfowlers

Slugz

WKR
I wish I had a solid duck hunt lined up for tomorrow. It's much more of a sure thing to kick the season off but all three of my options right now are speck heavy. One could very well turn out to be truly epic. One would probably be a combo, and one would be in dry which isn't ideal right now.

I'm gonna risk it on the potentially epic speck-only hunt. See if we can't kill 40 for 4 guys. Specks over water is the most fun you can have outside the bedroom but can be risky. It can turn bust pretty quickly.

Pretty cool seeing all the specks on the internet there in Cali!! Good Luck!

Fatcamp

WKR
3 guns in this wind this evening and things got pretty western.

We ended up with 4 species of geese today. I’ve never seen more than 2 killed in a day.

Fun. On a solo hunt quite a few years ago I killed 4, got a picture around somewhere.

OP
Banded_spooney
Today, While shooting over head I was hit with what felt like a 2x4 in the forearm, chest and face completely caught off guard. No clue what happened. Knocked to the chair and lucky to have not had an accidental discharge as I was falling.

I didn’t get knocked out but after I got my breath back I realized my friends had in fact told me I was about to get hit by a speck.

They were relieved the blood on my face wasn’t mine.

Slugz

WKR
Today, While shooting over head I was hit with what felt like a 2x4 in the forearm, chest and face completely caught off guard. No clue what happened. Knocked to the chair and lucky to have not had an accidental discharge as I was falling.

I didn’t get knocked out but after I got my breath back I realized my friends had in fact told me I was about to get hit by a speck.

They were relieved the blood on my face wasn’t mine.
Glad all ended well.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
You all in the Lower 48 are shooting the birds that left here awhile ago. Our waterfowl season is almost over in south central AK since most birds have migrated away and a lot of our water is frozen. There are still migrators coming through, but the fun days of Sept are over.
We think that Typhoon Merbok changed the migration some this year (lay people speculation with no evidence). It would be weird if a historically significant weather event didn't change something in the summering grounds. This effects may be showing up now in the flyways to the south.

KurtR

WKR
You all in the Lower 48 are shooting the birds that left here awhile ago. Our waterfowl season is almost over in south central AK since most birds have migrated away and a lot of our water is frozen. There are still migrators coming through, but the fun days of Sept are over.
We think that Typhoon Merbok changed the migration some this year (lay people speculation with no evidence). It would be weird if a historically significant weather event didn't change something in the summering grounds. This effects may be showing up now in the flyways to the south.
How do you think it changed it. Pushed birds one way or another ?

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
How do you think it changed it. Pushed birds one way or another ?
* I think * it pushed south-bound birds that might usually take a more westerly route onto a more easterly route, much further inland vs near the coast. Also, I think it pushed the birds in a tighter concentration than might be normal. We had weeks of strong southerly winds leading up to that storm cycle, this can back up the migration heading south. That's my wild-ass guess anyways

KurtR

WKR
* I think * it pushed south-bound birds that might usually take a more westerly route onto a more easterly route, much further inland vs near the coast. Also, I think it pushed the birds in a tighter concentration than might be normal. We had weeks of strong southerly winds leading up to that storm cycle, this can back up the migration heading south. That's my wild-ass guess anyways
Seems logical to me. I think stuff like that has an effect for sure . I think down here all these stupid wind towers are moving migrations around more than they will admit

SWFLhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I gotta hand it to you Cali guys. it really looks like a great place to duck hunt. One of these days I might just head out that way And try to scare a few.
At any rate we do southern Michigan and Florida. Grew up on Lake St. Clair Near Harsens Island. Mostly public but we are lucky enough to hunt some private marshes in MI My friends own. We’ve done ok in MI so far. Florida starts in a couple weeks.
It needs to cool the f down though!

Attachments

• 872A1DC9-FDBF-48D8-B08A-3B86EABECD55.jpeg
    872A1DC9-FDBF-48D8-B08A-3B86EABECD55.jpeg
    420 KB · Views: 30
  • 811F225C-E11A-4374-9B11-862773B979DE.jpeg
    811F225C-E11A-4374-9B11-862773B979DE.jpeg
    393.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 5FC5768D-C995-4F04-BFAC-29956C066E1D.jpeg
    5FC5768D-C995-4F04-BFAC-29956C066E1D.jpeg
    509.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 2D581851-7121-4861-A7AA-D9B6B588DC94.jpeg
    2D581851-7121-4861-A7AA-D9B6B588DC94.jpeg
    360 KB · Views: 31
  • D2A4C692-F188-42D6-91A2-CFFA98E83473.jpeg
    D2A4C692-F188-42D6-91A2-CFFA98E83473.jpeg
    351.3 KB · Views: 31

KurtR

WKR
Over night we went from not many to two fields with 10000 mallards and with 20 inches of snow coming and cold it might be the end for us. I should be out right now but work getting in the way haha.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
Over night we went from not many to two fields with 10000 mallards and with 20 inches of snow coming and cold it might be the end for us. I should be out right now but work getting in the way haha.

Man what a difference the weather change made. Headed out shortly for hunt #3 in the same field since Saturday afternoon. Going to try divers tomorrow morning for something different.

KurtR

WKR
Been a while since we have had snow and still hunting geese the majority didnt fly till afternoon but scratched out a couple and one crazy snow.

bankshonksnow.jpg

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
Changed plans on the drive out to hunt yesterday; my buddy and I jumped in with another friend who was already set up for a fun 3 man shoot. No big spins, but every bird was shot inside 30 yards.

Attachments

• 11152022snows.jpg
    11152022snows.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 17

KurtR

WKR
Changed plans on the drive out to hunt yesterday; my buddy and I jumped in with another friend who was already set up for a fun 3 man shoot. No big spins, but every bird was shot inside 30 yards.
Been seeing lots of gray birds must have had a good hatch this year

My biggest regret about moving to Interior Alaska - short Waterfowl season that overlaps with moose. With a larger family (7 of us) Big Game takes precedents but nothing is as good as shooting decoying Widgeon or Teal. I haven't gotten into Geese or Crane, I'm trying to figure it out and I just got a dog so that will help immensely and help me have more of a reason to get out. I will do upland with her as well but 100% more waterfowl will be happening because of the puppers! I'm so excited for next year, its the most excited I've been since I moved here 6 years ago!