LabRadar

Those of you using one how do you like it? How reliable has it been for picking up the rounds?

I used a friends and it worked good for me. He said he has some issues getting it to register with smaller calibers. I am considering getting one and I plan to use it for 6mm and 7mm. I am just wondering if others have issues with theirs at all?

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
I've had one since early on. It's a little tricky at first to learn to align it properly but after awhile you get if fine. I solved triggering issues by using an external trigger. https://jklprecision.com/product/labradar-trigger/ The menu is a little non-intuitive but you learn it. Controlling it by the phone app is hit or miss. When you can get it to connect it works great but many can't get it to connect at all. The app is 2 years old with no updates and they keep promising an update is coming soon. The app worked for me most of the time but with the external trigger I can have the unit further back closer to me and just operate it off the unit itself.

I'll add: If you wait for the JKL trigger to be in stock it seems it never is. I have a feeling they make them as the orders come in (they are 3D printed). When I ordered mine (back order) I received it within about a week.

Dcrafton

WKR
Those of you using one how do you like it? How reliable has it been for picking up the rounds?

I used a friends and it worked good for me. He said he has some issues getting it to register with smaller calibers. I am considering getting one and I plan to use it for 6mm and 7mm. I am just wondering if others have issues with theirs at all?

Hey buddy, hope all is well.
I’ve tried the LR and the magnetospeed. I bought the magnetospeed.
I found that if you want accurate readings you need to add 10-12 FPS to the LR as it picks up your bullet around 10 feet out, therefore you start reading about 10-12 feet slower than muzzle velocity. The magnetospeed reads as it leaves the muzzle.
Also if you shoot with others around you, you (May) find that their report will trigger the LR. I know you can work through that but for the extra cost and for what I use mine for, the magnetospeed was a better fit for me.
That being says, the LR is a good unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MuleyFever
My biggest reason for not wanting to get the MagSpeed is that you are basically wasting rounds just to get a velocity. I would like to do load development and practice while getting the speed data at the same time.

Dcrafton

WKR
One day I would like to have both, I think I may use it more often because of the way it works. I had no complaints but thought the magnetospeed was better for what I wanted at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phil1841

FNG
Bought one not long after they first came out. I think it works great and for me is worth the cost. Certainly there are much cheaper chronographs that give you the same information, but I like the quick set up especially on a busy range. Mine has tracked .223 Remington with zero issues. Never tired .22 rimfire but did get it to read .17 HMR but only after figuring out placement of the unit so the lower muzzle blast activated the audible trigger. Larger calibers - including handguns - have not been an issue. Have read a few reviews which mentioned it missing smaller diameter bullets but mine has done pretty well - but not perfect. The biggest problem I have now is the occasional operator error - forget the hit the "arm" button before shooting.

Have had shooters on the adjacent bench and only twice that I remember did it react funny - and I think both times were near simultaneous shots from the adjacent bench and mine. Never an issue any other time even with some pretty busy ranges. Bought it when I lived in Minnesota so it's seen use in Northern winters and Southern summers. No problem with temps in the high single digits and up near 100. Anything on either side of that I find something else to do!!

The LabRadar is a good product in my opinion and the ease of set-up has resulted in more use of the chrono during range outings compared to my old Shooting Chrony. I pretty much set it up every time I shoot - compared to when I had the optical sky screen model which I only put up when really motivated. I don't have a Magnetospeed but see them at the range and like them. I remember reading some time ago about someone who rigged up a "stand" for the Magnetospeed unit so it could be used without direct attachment to the barrel. Not sure if anything like that is available and alignment of the bore axis would be pretty critical but it might be the best solution overall.

I have the Labradar and Magnetospeed. They give numbers within 3-5 fps of each other when i have run them at the same time. The Labradar does not run slower than the MS in my experience. Between the two, i much prefer the Labradar as I don't have to worry about POI shift or a change in barrel harmonics. I rarely go to the range without my Labradar now. Money well spent to me.

rayporter

WKR
i have had one for quite a while also and no trouble. the above pretty much covers the topic.

i have never had mine pick up a shot next to me in practice or competition and frequently there are many units set up on the line in competition. i have never heard any one complain of it picking up other shots.

prm

WKR
I too am quite pleased with my Labradar. The times I’ve had it miss the occasional shot I was seated next to the wall on an indoor (100yd) range. I attach a Dark Energy Poseidon battery pack to it and don’t have issues with batteries while at the range.
I also use a Magnetospeed when at the house and shooting into a bullet catch to work up a powder. Each is very useful.

Probably the best money I’ve ever spent as a reloader and long range shooter. Works great with suppressed rifles with the external mike. Only thing I regret is not buying it sooner.

BBob

WKR
The trigger sensitivity can easily be adjusted to get it to stop triggering off other shooters. I initially had to adjust it shooting at the range under a metal awning with shooters next to me. Easy to do. With the external trigger it eliminates it all together.

Brendan

WKR
The only times I've had LR fail to pick up a round is if I forget to make sure it's armed, or if you get it into the blast area of a muzzle brake. In fairness I believe @Broz has had some trouble with his so they're not perfect across the board.

I've thought about a Magnetospeed, and there are off-barrel mount options, but I'm often shooting multiple rifles and would rather not be switching back and forth.

Yes you can get it to trigger with suppressors. I rarely shoot unsuppressed, and it picks the shots up consistently. You generally need to set the Labradar up so it's slightly in front of the muzzle to trigger.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Labradar works great, you just need to learn how to set it up, aim it, trigger it, etc. It is more "fragile" so you need to be careful and not let it drop. I had one for a couple of years, and it worked great. Some do fail. It was more than I needed and I sold it. I used it when I was shooting more guns and switching between. If you want to get velocity data all the time, then it is an easy solution. I switched from 6mm to 7mm often without even changing settings, though changing settings is better. The bluetooth app was a little glitchy for me. Getting the it to trigger and aiming is the biggest part. Listen to the tips above. I shot my rifle suppressed at a range with muzzle brakes next to me and had no issues with Labradar once I figured out how to run it.

Magnetospeed works great. I have had the Sporter and V3. I have fewer guns so that is what I run now, V3. Yes, it changes point of impact and group size sometimes. But, I don't need to get velocity all the time. I only run it for Satterlee type testing and for velocity confirmation on finished loads.

Both are very good. Match your level of sophistication, your needs, and your preference. I think most people would be better off with the V3 for budget. I think the inconvenience for changing point of aim is less of an issue than most would bother.

The MS V3 is the simplest and most foolproof.

The Labradar is more complex and versatile.

Lawnboi

WKR
Will the Labradar work with suppressed rifles?
Yea but I had to buy the microphone deal to get it to register every shot, same for 22.

Really like my lab radar. Iv had a missed shot here and there but overall been happy. Beats burning components shooting for velocity then groups. It’s easy to setup, and with some understanding pretty easy to troubleshoot. I’d buy another.