L.L. Bean Maine Hunting Shoes Opinions Needed

Scout777

FNG
Hey guys, I've been eyeing a pair of L.L. Bean Maine Hunting Shoes for about a year now. I've never had dedicated hunting footwear before as I've always just used tennis shoes or rubber boots when out hunting.

I do most of my hunting in Northern Florida, Southern Georgia and Alabama - think pine sand hills, seas of palmettos, oak hammocks, and swamp bottoms.

I like the idea of a lightweight boot as I sometimes walk a few miles a day. I looked at similar styled boots such as Schnees, but they don't seem to offer the lightweight, tennis shoe-like feel I'm looking for. I hunt in 30°f to 90°f temperatures going after deer , squirrel, rabbit, coon, and hog so I'm definitely avoiding a heavy boot. I also like how the boot doesn't have a lug sole as I hunt public land often and don't like leaving tracks for other opportunistic hunters to follow.

I've read where some people say that their pair has been waterproof for 30+ years while others have said they leak like a sieve from the factory. What kind of waterproofness should I expect? I'm not going to make it a habit of standing inwater, but I often times need to trudge through puddles to get where I'm going and would very much like to keep my feet dry.

I've also read that the boots have rather thin leather, I'm concerned about durability. I know that they are supposed to be resolable, but if the leather wears out and stitching comes undone before the sole wears away it becomes a moot point.

If anyone can comment on how the sizing runs that'd be great, too. The website says to order a full size smaller if wearing light or medium socks, which is what I intend to do.

I know that many folks here are of the western inclination, but if anyone can shed some light on how well these boots may serve me in my area it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, guys!

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
I have had a 16” or 18” tall non insulated bean boot that I wear in NY for archery…
Great light weight and does not track… not much ankle support tho

OP
S

Scout777

FNG
I have had a 16” or 18” tall non insulated bean boot that I wear in NY for archery…
Great light weight and does not track… not much ankle support tho
Thanks for the input. I'm used to wearing tennis shoes while hunting so I don't suspect that the lack of support will matter much to me. Any vertical movement that I do is localized to sand hills, and tree stands if you count that.

Shraggs

WKR
I have a pair, decades old. Decent chore boot. Mine is gortex and 200 thinsulate. They’re handy.

For me the lack traction is no go off cement or lawns. Support is odd, to my foot. Thin insoles and pronounced hump in arch area feeling the molded in shank.

Keens boot would be better. Or spring for an original danner stitch down soled leather.

EdP

WKR
I have a pair of the Maine Hunting Shoes. Note that they make a MH Shoe and a MH Boot. I think the boot has a heavier sole. The rubber sole portion on mine extend up about 2" so that part is completely waterproof unless you poke a hole thru. I have crossed creeks about 10" deep with no water getting in, but you can't stand around in deep water and expect it to not penetrate the leather after a while. The tongue is gussetted all the way up so you should not get wet if you step quickly and don't overtop them. There is zero insulation in them so I wear heavy wool socks, oftentimes 2 pair. They do run large. They are not well suited for use in hilly country but should work great for your application. I love mine as a camp boot out west because I don't have to worry about mud or snow, my feet will stay dry.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have the 10” Maine Hunting Shoe. If it is wet out, my feet will eventually get wet. Treating the stitching where the rubber meets the leather will help. I did go on a 10+ mile hike with them one day in a fairly rocky area. My feet were pretty beat up by the end of the day so I would recommend something else for long hikes or for areas with a lot of rocks. I usually wear size 13 Lowas/Merrills but the size 12 LL Bean fits me fine with a medium weight sock.

Used to wear them all the time to bow hunt elk, sheep etc in the mountains and bird hunted in them. Your feet and ankles get toughened and strengthened up after awhile and can get by with the limited support. However that was when I was under 50. Anymore they don't have enough support and my ankles and arches hurt if I wear them much....so I don't.

The uppers were re-bottomed years ago and are still in decent condition. I always treated the leather with SnoSeal, just like my Meindl boots. Work in as much as I can then let it sit for a few days either in the hot sun or near a warm (but not too hot) heat source, then add some more. They were pretty waterproof /resistant to the 10" tops when I did that. But CO was a lot drier than where you are.

The best thing about them was how soft the sole was and how quiet you could stalk with them on. Almost like stocking feet.

I think they might be just the shoe for you. Only one way to find out...and you can always return them if the fit is way off. And I wear 13D in a hiking boot and 12 in a LLBean boot.

And I just checked the photo...was wearing my LLBean boots in a photo of my first archery Bighorn...taken in CO in '84.

Birddog1

FNG
I have two pairs, two different heights. I hardly ever wear them, I’m sure if I did wear them the leather would break in and be more comfortable. They do run big, I usually wear a 12 or 12.5, I think mine are size 11.

philos

Super Southern Moderator
Staff member
If you opt for the 16 inch tall version-which is what I would get for your area-I would highly recommend getting the speed laces on the top few lace holes. As has been mentioned they are not very useful for traction and would need a good treatment product applied to maintain waterproofness. Another thing to think of-I would not depend on these for snake protection. Overall I like mine for turkey hunting and early season archery.

Felton

WKR
I’m down here in south Georgia with you. The bean boots have there place. I’d say one of the greatest aspects of the bean boot is how soft the rubber is. It almost gives me the feel of wearing moccasins, I love using them slip hunting or stalk type of hunt on the flat land. They are the quietest boot I own. As far as waterproofing them, no matter what I did if I went in too much water my feet got wet, so they won’t replace a good rubber knee boot like a lacrosse alpha burly.

willtim

WKR
I have several pairs. They will be the hottest boot, and the coldest boot, you will ever wear. But, I do like them.

Holocene

WKR
I wore them for years hunting in South Carolina and enjoyed the classic looks and soft, nimble feel.

When I moved to Oregon, I continued to wear Bean boots for 1-2 years during archery elk hunts on the coast and even took them to Hell's Canyon and the John Day River canyon for chukar and grouse hunts. LL Bean did a fantastic job resoling one pair and I bought a second as backups.

At some point, the soft leather on the Bean boots folded and started to rub my inner midsole. Double socking helped, but it was bothersome.

I enjoyed the boot but was ultimately convinced (peer pressured) to a boot suitable for Western hunting. Ended up with Crispi Wyoming GTX and couldn't be happier. The Crispi is heavier, which I don't like, but I'm confident and comfortable sidehilling, walking over sharp rocks, taking long pack outs down steep hills, etc. No blisters anywhere.

When I go back to South Carolina for deer and turkey hunts, I continue to wear the Crispi and feel like it's appropriate for 95% of hunting and hiking situations you'll encounter.

In the Army in Georgia obviously we had to wear stuff within regs but a lot of Soldiers would run jungle boots with a wedge sole (you bought new boots and immediately went to the cobbler to replace the soles). Those would get wet but breath and the sole was very comfortable. The wedge sole had very deep ridges on the bottom for traction - not lugs. Soldiers would use leatherman or needlenose pliers and rip out the lining so that the boots were leather on your feet and not the fabric lining they came with (we did that for jungles or regular boots). After removing the linings and treating the leather right they were like soft moccasins with comfortable soles and often people would size field boots to just fit their feet without socks (believe it or not this meant no blisters when done right but def had to rip out the fabric liners to get there). So there you go - another way to wander the woods down south in comfy moccasin-like boots. You can still do this today with surplus black leather boots - a bit of work but you can get very comfortable form fitting boots this way. About no real ankle support though so this is not for western stuff imo.
May or may not help you but might help out someone else here so cheers!

I've had Bean boots too when I lived in Maine - they have their purpose for deer stalking there but I probably would not buy them again I don't think...unless I moved back up north.
Chasing Whitetail through the big woods is very fun and I do miss it.

yfarm

WKR
Bought a pr of Wellco Temperate RAT boots off ebay, first time I wore the lining came out as. I took the boots off. Cut the liner out at the attachment at the top of the boot And removed the heel counters. As close to a Russell PH boot as you can get for 1/10th of the price. Ideal hot weather boot, feet will get wet when in the water. They make a hot weather version of the same boot, dont know if the non goretex liner is any better attached.

BIGEYES

FNG
Just some more observations. I've been wearing LL Bean 10" Maine hunting boots for 50 yeqrs. I normally wear an 11 1/2 shoe or boot but wear 11 in the Bean boot. I primarily wear them as a chore boot. The insoles provided are junk so plan on aftermarket insoles. Seal the seams prior to wearing. Don't expect to stand in 6-8 inches of water and not get wet feet. The heel stitching wears out first for me because I generally wear them unlaced--heel slippage. I find them very comfortable; but they are definitely a flat land boot, no rough terrain.

I bought the waxed cotton ones because there is often dew on the ground we early and then it heats up quick where I hunt in west TX. I like that they are light and didn’t mind them on the rocky terrain I hunt, but the rubber is soft and prickly pear goes straight through them.