Kuiu's Shipping Costs are BS

What's up with Kuiu's shipping costs??? You would think the cost would come from the size and weight of the package like a normal company but it looks like they just charge you for shipping based on the price of the item. That's total BS in my opinion. 2 upper body garments that fit in the same size shipping box and the one that actually weighs less costs more to ship because it's a more expensive piece, so basically their shipping charge is just an excuse to tack on a couple more bucks for no reason. By the time you go to check out you have at least $25.00+ in shipping and tax added on, which is ridiculous in 2020. At least pay for shipping both ways until we have the right size garment. It costs $12.95 to ship the Kutana Hybrid (price is $209.00) and $9.95 to ship the Strongfleece 260 ($149.00). The Strongfleece weighs more. I understand it's only a couple bucks but it's the principal of it that's annoying me. Am I way off base here?
9393ca5149797926a58d6ea33ff96538.jpg
30fbeba5d779aab64a289010d7c092ca.jpg

It's free shipping on $200+ right now...

I wish they would just ship for free anyway and actually have a real sale once in a while though.

When was the last time you actually shipped something yourself?
There charging thru the roof.
The only reasonable way is with a flat rate box.
Pretty sure kuiu doesn't get on here though.
So if you want the to change maybe contacting them is a better coarse of action, vs something they will never see.

OP
MuleDeerMike
I buy and sell stuff online all the time, so I'm very familiar with shipping costs from UPS and USPS. Their shipping policy is a money grab. They likely factor it into their budget when pricing items instead of just making the garment cost a couple more bucks. Not a very honest form of marketing IMO.

dog

Lil-Rokslider
Shipping is expensive these days. I just retired but had a small business with a lot of shipping involved. The last few years the carriers charges have gone up substantially every year. Even with my volume discount the charges were shocking. $10-14 for shipping a jacket does not sound that bad to me.

Reactions: OMB
I just shipped a 22 mag bag only.
It was a 10x7x5 box like 3 pounds and they wanted $27
So i actually had to put it in a bigger flat rate box to get it down under $14
But I guess I'm ranting about hating a rant post. 😁
I just never understand these rant threads. Are you hoping we will band together boycott kuiu and they switch to free shipping?
Or is it just quarantine?
Lol I knew I shouldn't of replied.person-quarantine-more-like-agon-borantine.jpeg

OP
MuleDeerMike
I mean ya it's probably just quarantine that's getting to me haha and paying for shipping doesn't really bother me. It's the fact that two things can be the same size and weight, and fit in the same box, yet the shipping costs are different because the price of the items are different. They're trying to increase their profit through shipping instead of just tacking it onto the sticker price. But they won't increase the sticker price because then it will be harder to sell. You can call it smart, you can call it dishonest, or you can call it annoying, like I am.

Or maybe they paid a firm for software that calculates based on price, that use to be how everyone did it. Cabelas for sure.
Like my company updated our time roll system a few yrs ago, & its terrible. But they told us they set a budget and payed a firm and its staying like that until the next budgeted update. Cause they spent the budget and that's what the firm gave us.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Make it easy on yourself. If you don’t like it, but from someone else. Lotta good choices out there.

JNDEER

WKR
You mean like the $22 to ship a kifaru belt... $10 is the norm if you don't get free shipping... but $22 for a belt that weighs as much as a shirt is CRAZY!!

Axlrod

WKR
I think the sales tax is the ridiculous part of the equation!
I ordered a single reloading die from a company a couple weeks ago and selected UPS 2nd day. The web site tells you shipping will be added to your bill when it ships. After i completed my order the confirmation email says they have a very high volume of orders and it would be 10 days till they ship. Last week they call and tell me the 2nd day would be $72 for ONE die from Missouri to Montana and that they could ship standard for $12.

zog

Lil-Rokslider
What's up with Kuiu's shipping costs??? You would think the cost would come from the size and weight of the package like a normal company but it looks like they just charge you for shipping based on the price of the item. That's total BS in my opinion. 2 upper body garments that fit in the same size shipping box and the one that actually weighs less costs more to ship because it's a more expensive piece, so basically their shipping charge is just an excuse to tack on a couple more bucks for no reason. By the time you go to check out you have at least $25.00+ in shipping and tax added on, which is ridiculous in 2020. At least pay for shipping both ways until we have the right size garment. It costs $12.95 to ship the Kutana Hybrid (price is $209.00) and $9.95 to ship the Strongfleece 260 ($149.00). The Strongfleece weighs more. I understand it's only a couple bucks but it's the principal of it that's annoying me. Am I way off base here?

I kind of get it, Mike, but since you're asking, I do think you're a little off base. How much is the garment, really, and how much is the shipping? - we have no idea. Since they don't really have direct competition, you and i don't know if $149 is even a fair price to begin with, nor how much their S&H really is.

Would we be happier if they just charged $158.95 for the 260 and called it "free" shipping at checkout? What if they charged $154.00 plus $4.95 for shipping? Any better?

I hope nobody here thinks a retailer's shipping costs are really the shipping costs, or thinks any vendor ships for "free". It's included, maybe, but not free.

Last edited:
Amazon has the shipping deal figured out pretty well. I guess you have to do Billion$ in shipping to get those great breaks though. Kuiu should get a real negotiator and go to bat with the shipping folks.

zog

Lil-Rokslider
I recently bought something on Amazon. Forgot what it was but doesn't matter - there were four vendors all very close to the same price. Three of them were right around $32-$34. The other was $14 . . . $14? What? How so low? Clearance? So I click on each one; the first three had "free" shipping, and the other had $20 shipping.

The shipping is ridiculous but look at the rest of the prices and lack of sales. Scam and a half. If you don’t like seeing your money go out the window, look elsewhere.