KUIU's NEW Yukon Series - Top to Bottom Rain Gear - Jacket, Pant, Gloves, Gaiters

I bought the new yukon jacket in size medium and the new large gaitors. I am 5'9" 190 lbs and they both fit great. This jacket is the cat's meow. I sold my chugach as I can't see myself bringing both. I probably won't be taking my guide jacket this year either. The jacket is that good!

It is not as compact but it isn't large either. If I get a chance I will take some pictures. For me, where I hunt, it can rain for days straight. I also only bowhunt and thus I wanted the quieter jacket even at a weight penalty.

The medium works well over my layers as well.

MattB

WKR
I had a chance to feel the Yukon stuff yesterday. Based on the outer material I was hoping it would be closer to the Guide jacket in terms of noise, but I would say it pretty much splits the difference between the guide and Chugach - similar to maybe slightly less quiet than the Kryptek Koldo as a comparison.

TXCO

WKR
Yea I havent been able to do any testing. Im debating on returning the pants as I dont think Ill be living in them which is what they were designed for.

slim9300

WKR
I had a chance to feel the Yukon stuff yesterday. Based on the outer material I was hoping it would be closer to the Guide jacket in terms of noise, but I would say it pretty much splits the difference between the guide and Chugach - similar to maybe slightly less quiet than the Kryptek Koldo as a comparison.

Yep. I agree.

edg1967

WKR
For those of you that already have your Yukon and also have the Guide Jacket, do you think having both pieces is redundant? I sold my Chugach because I just didn't use it and didn't think it was all that breathable. I kept my Guide more for a shell and windblocking layer, but wonder if the Yukon would be a better choice for windblocking as well as provide better protection from rain than the Guide. The Guide really doesn't provide all that much insulation so I'm thinking the Yukon coupled with a puffy would be a better combination especially when sitting for long periods of time. Then again, I just ordered the new First Lite Stormtight so would having both be a little excessive...I know my wife would think so.

Make any sense? Input please.

slim9300

WKR
For those of you that already have your Yukon and also have the Guide Jacket, do you think having both pieces is redundant? I sold my Chugach because I just didn't use it and didn't think it was all that breathable. I kept my Guide more for a shell and windblocking layer, but wonder if the Yukon would be a better choice for windblocking as well as provide better protection from rain than the Guide. The Guide really doesn't provide all that much insulation so I'm thinking the Yukon coupled with a puffy would be a better combination especially when sitting for long periods of time. Then again, I just ordered the new First Lite Stormtight so would having both be a little excessive...I know my wife would think so.

I agree with your assessment. I sold my Verde Guide jacket to be replaced by the Yukon. It seems more wind proof and obviously it will actually keep you dry in a downpour, where as the Guide will eventually leak and absorb water.

edg1967

WKR
I agree with your assessment. I sold my Verde Guide jacket to be replaced by the Yukon. It seems more wind proof and obviously it will actually keep you dry in a downpour, where as the Guide will eventually leak and absorb water.

Thanks Slim. I was hoping you would weigh in on this since you had all pieces of clothing. Now, the question is: Do I need the Yukon AND the new First Lite? NEED? No. WANT. Yes.

slim9300

WKR
Thanks Slim. I was hoping you would weigh in on this since you had all pieces of clothing. Now, the question is: Do I need the Yukon AND the new First Lite? NEED? No. WANT. Yes.

I know nothing about the First Lite so I can't provide guidance. :)

idig4au

WKR

I'm doing the same thing. I use the Sitka Jetstream jacket rather than the Guide though. I'm leaving that at home and will just use my Kuiu Superdown for insulation and Yukon Jacket as my hardshell. I reckon I can save about 12 oz out of my pack now running this system. Of course, I can also use my Chugach using the same concept and save even more weight, but the "GIF" told me I needed the Yukon jacket as well. I'm beginning to really hate her!!

You guys are killing me. I think you stirred up the "GIF" in my home :)

I am running the Sitka 90% jacket with Kuiu Spindrift. I pack an additional rain shell.

I am thinking the Yukon with the Spindrift will be bar-none better than the 90% and packing around a shell.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yukon and superdown for me this fall as well.......cant wait for the fall weather to arrive to use this new gear!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU

I have the stormtight and messed with the Yukon jacket. I see no reason to have both. They both are very breathable, waterproof and windproof. Unless you need two rain jackets:)

slim9300

WKR
I have the stormtight and messed with the Yukon jacket. I see no reason to have both. They both are very breathable, waterproof and windproof. Unless you need two rain jackets:)

How's the noise? The only Sitka raingear I have touched seemed incredibly loud to me. I think it may have been the lite version though.

cmeier117

WKR

Some times in northern Idaho don't you feel you NEED 2 rain jackets? ;) I do in Oregon!

TXCO

WKR
Any more comments on the size? Im debating on going with a large while I normally wear a medium because Ive heard the medium is running big. Im a bowhunter and dont want to be too baggy.

I have a medium guide jacket and it feels a little snug when I put the super down or spindrift on underneath. Does that mean I should go with a large Yukon or trust the medium running a little big? I also always struggle with what is the appropiate amount of loft to retain when layering down.

Any more comments on the size? Im debating on going with a large while I normally wear a medium because Ive heard the medium is running big. Im a bowhunter and dont want to be too baggy.

I have a medium guide jacket and it feels a little snug when I put the super down or spindrift on underneath. Does that mean I should go with a large Yukon or trust the medium running a little big? I also always struggle with what is the appropiate amount of loft to retain when layering down.

I can't help you out much. Before my Yukon jacket arrived all the reviews I read said the sizing was huge. I am a med. in all the Kuiu tops and went with the L Yukon to give me room for layering and I am glad I did. It fits great and in no way would say it's cut larger then normal. Just enough room for a couple merino layers and the super down underneath.

I might be the odd ball on this one because I continue to read reviews stating the jacket it cut very large and to downsize when ordering.