KUIU's NEW Yukon Series - Top to Bottom Rain Gear - Jacket, Pant, Gloves, Gaiters

Are the gloves thin and light? I wonder if the yukon glove is cut like that to allow them to be worn over the guide glove?

I ordered them for this year but really only plan on using them in the rain or wet brush. I sure hate reading something negative about a brand new product within a day of me ordering it.... My Sitka gloves tend to get wet then stay that way till I get back home which has gotten really old. I don't plan to shoot with them so I am not really worried about that but I do hope I can comfortably use a trekking pole and have the dexterity to claw my way up wet alder slopes.

slim9300

WKR
Are the gloves thin and light? I wonder if the yukon glove is cut like that to allow them to be worn over the guide glove?

I ordered them for this year but really only plan on using them in the rain or wet brush. I sure hate reading something negative about a brand new product within a day of me ordering it.... My Sitka gloves tend to get wet then stay that way till I get back home which has gotten really old. I don't plan to shoot with them so I am not really worried about that but I do hope I can comfortably use a trekking pole and have the dexterity to claw my way up wet alder slopes.

They don't really feel 'thin' on your hands but they are relatively light. I do wish they fit/felt like the guide gloves though. I love those gloves.

For your needs they should work just fine. Maybe they would 'break-in' better with use? Maybe you are right about the guide gloves? But I wanted something that would work as a stand alone.

MattB

WKR
Btw, the gloves are a joke IMHO. They are going back for sure. Way too 'baggy' cut in the fingers (length is good for the large) and if you plan on shooting with them, there is no way you will like them. They are super 'stiff' and dexterity is greatly reduced. If you are guide and are simply trying to stay dry, they are right up your alley.

Given that the Yukon gloves were specifically designed to be worn over another set of gloves (the sort of glove that you would shoot with or use for activities that require dexterity) for the purpose of keeping the base layer gloves dry, can I take it from your last comment that the product would work well for what it was designed to do?

slim9300

WKR
Given that the Yukon gloves were specifically designed to be worn over another set of gloves (the sort of glove that you would shoot with or use for activities that require dexterity) for the purpose of keeping the base layer gloves dry, can I take it from your last comment that the product would work well for what it was designed to do?

I must have missed the memo (ie. blog) on that. Since that's their purpose (now that I actually read their description), they were probably designed well. I wrongly was hoping for another pair of gloves like the Guide models just waterproof. My bad.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I only have the jacket. As to noise, it is not as quite as the guide jacket, but for rain gear it is quite but not silent.

I agree with Ross. Much quieter than the chugach but not as quiet as the guide jacket. It will be quiet enough during a rainy day of bowhunting.

I agree with Ross. Much quieter than the chugach but not as quiet as the guide jacket. It will be quiet enough during a rainy day of bowhunting.

My thoughts exactly. Are you really going to leave the jacket behind on a backcountry bowhunt? I figure with this jacket I can leave the guide behind and maybe one more base layer.

You! I grabbed the wrong post to quote. Whoops! I mentioned it was too big for backpacking....

Last edited:

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Guide weighs 25 oz and my Yukon weighs in at 29oz. The guide offers the insulation factor over the yukon, but for me when the weather will be bad I will be packing only the Yukon with the Superdown. Not sure what the chugach weighs, but I expect you would be less with only the Yukon that packing Chugach with Guide.. Mine are size large.

slim9300

WKR
You! You mentioned it was too big for backpacking. No?

Sorry. On TapaTalk it shows you were quoting yourself and I was confused. Lol.

This really depends on where and when you are going. I do almost zero backpack hunting in any month other that September. The rest of the hunting I do is all day-hunting.

For my Sept. hunts in MT (10+ day) the rain gear is almost never used. I take my Chugach set and my puffy coat (Superdown). That's it other than the clothes on my back and an extra pair of socks, boxers and an undershirt. The clothes on my back consist of Attack pants, and the merino 185 and 230 zip-Ts. If I was hunting in a wetter or colder climate I would take the Yukon set instead. My Guide jacket and pants really only get used when the daytime temps are below 40 degrees which end up being day hunts.

Last edited:
Got it. I took my chugach last year for rain gear but I have gotten lucky with the lack of rain. I hunt the cascade crest in sept.

slim9300

WKR
Got it. I took my chugach last year for rain gear but I have gotten lucky with the lack of rain. I hunt the cascade crest in sept.

That's right. I remember seeing that somewhere. The Yukon would be my choice were you hunt. You could very easily have rain for a week straight and never take off your raingear. Plus the brush can be think too. :)

You would really benefit from the pants the most due to the pockets, reduced noise and toughness.

OP
K
I will be gearing up with new KUIU gear soon and posting some reviews. Looking forward to the upgrade in performance and functionality (breathable, lightweight, and flex fabrics).

Great looking products Patrick - Love seeing the continuous innovation from KUIU supporting hard core hunters with so many options!

Coop

Coop,
Great to have you on board with KUIU. I didn't see this post until just now. I guess I need to spend more time over here!

There has been some mention of the Yukon Glove. This glove was in fact designed as a glove to be worn over our 230 merino, Tiburon or Guide glove. It was not designed as a shooting glove. If fact, it would be virtually impossible to shoot with this glove. It is made out of the same material as the balance of the Yukon Series. The most important feature of this glove is the fully taped seams resulting in it being waterproof.

TXCO

WKR
I agree the material is much quieter for rain gear and the jacket could replace the guide jacket until the temps really drop. Unfortunately it went from a simple system to a lot of good products.

I think the glove would be difficult to shoot a gun with, no chance with a bow. A lot of velcro so its not silent to take on and off. If i hadnt had spent 6 hours infreezing rain last year where I was cold i couldnt move my hands, I probably wouldnt think they were necessary. I will be prepared with these gloves next time

TXCO

WKR
I almost fell climbing because i couldnt move my fingers and got so spooked ive been on a glove kick for 7 months

gelton

WKR
Why no reports or reviews on this new system from kuiu. Was very interested in hearing the thoughts and seeing the photos from roksliders who bought them. Obviously have seen the pics n reviews from the manufacturer just looking for an opinion from the consumer viewpoint.

Beastmode

WKR
Why no reports or reviews on this new system from kuiu. Was very interested in hearing the thoughts and seeing the photos from roksliders who bought them. Obviously have seen the pics n reviews from the manufacturer just looking for an opinion from the consumer viewpoint.

Maybe its because it hasn't been raining a lot this summer...:banghead: