KUIU's Best Items

robie

WKR
Lots of interest in the First Like post.

Lets do the same for KUIU with their 30% off deal around the corner. Who has tried their gloves?

Top 3 items:
1. Attack Pants
2. Super Down Jacket
3. Zip Off Merino Wool Bottom

I've been happy with just about everything I have from KUIU. The only exception is the Guide Beanie, wish it was wind proof and covered my ears. Of everything I own, the two things that get used the most are my gun metal hooded super down jacket, and my brown Spindrift jacket. I tend to wear one of these two jackets just about everyday from Aug-May.

I also have several pairs of gloves, a pair of Guide gloves, Yukon gloves, and super down mittens. They all have a place in my pack.

Bmcox86

WKR
I really like my kenai jacket and Yukon rain gear. I wear my kenai almost everyday in the winter, wish they made it in brown so I could buy one for that purpose

One thing ive not been happy with is their merino. All of it starting piling right away and got small holes in it super easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Attack pants - (comfortable, light and the side vents are gold)
145 merino zip-t, long sleeve - (warm when it's chilly out, cool when it's hot)
Zip off merino bottoms - (so easy to take off when the day warms up from a cold morning)
Super down hooded jacket - (so light and warm, I don't ever go out without it, I want to get the vest too)
Yukon gloves - (amazing how waterproof and tough these are)
Yukon gaiters - (I'm totally sold on gaiters, I don't go off trail without them)

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Peloton 240 beanie, every thing the guide beanie isn't. Covers my ears, fits snug no slop.

Teton puffy or kenai depending on features you want. Soft, quiet, more durable than it seems.

Zip off bottoms. Not sure why no one else does this.

Doghed

WKR
Zip off bottoms and hip vents.
Also love my insulated snap shirt. Got one for Christmas last year and it goes everywhere with me. I wear it daily from now till summer. The collar is pretty rough from my neck and chin scruff (same with my Kenai), but it has held up very well.

IdahoElk

WKR
Chugach rain gear
Peloton Beanie
Attack Pants
Peloton hooded jacket
Merino shirts
Yukon Gaiters
Tiburon pants

slick

WKR
Just ordered some attack pants.........excited to try them out

Should have waited for the sale on Thursday!

I like the attack pants for early/mid season
Guide pants when the snow flies.

Chugach for rain gear

Their wool is good stuff too

Excited to try their Kenai series

Haven't been impressed with the super down. I had a zip t and found that the down wasn't distributed as evenly as I would have liked. It was super lightweight but would have preferred to "sacrifice" a little bit more weight for a warmer jacket.
Also not impressed with their peloton 200 zip t hoodie. Has a tight fit in the shoulders and stunk real bad after a day or two. Also gets real static-y and makes it frustrating to put on over a base layer.

OP
robie

robie

WKR
I also have several pairs of gloves, a pair of Guide gloves, Yukon gloves, and super down mittens. They all have a place in my pack.

If you had to start with 1 pair between the guide and the Yukon which would it be?

Are the mittens really that warm? What is the lowest temps you have had them in and still be comfortable?

If you had to start with 1 pair between the guide and the Yukon which would it be?

Are the mittens really that warm? What is the lowest temps you have had them in and still be comfortable?

Probably the Yukon with a liner. The mittens are very warm, appears like they're over stuffed. I've only had them for a few months and have only used them for one 10 day hunt last month. The coldest temps were maybe mid 20's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sr80

WKR
zip off LJ's for sure, really like the 240 peloton hoody as far as fit and function. Not really a fan of how its pilling so badly after only a few months.

I start with the yukons right away if I could do it all over. The mittens are too warm for anything practical that I do. If I glassed elk in November in Northern Montana I think they'd probably have a place. for every day back pack hunting in the lower 48 though I just can't justfiy them. I actually could see them being very useful in a late season treestand hunt chasing 300lb deer in alberta or sasketch.

My favorites from Kuiu go like this:
attack pant
chugach rain gear
guide jacket (pants are too warm for constant moving for me).
icon packs (I'm one of the few it sounds like that's never had an issue having owned all 3 generations). For the money they're tough to beat.

I absolutely hate their merinos. Firstlite and icebreaker are far better IMO. I also was able to pick up a couple of their guide beanies when their stuff was still made in North America. It's top notch and comes well past my ears. They must have changed the cut when they went to toray because it not covering ears is a common complaint now. Thier teton and peloton zip's are really handy/comfy for day hunts also but not anything I take for extended trips in the backcountry

gmajor

WKR
Gaiters and bino harness are all that I have left, and I'm not terribly pleased with the latter after 3 years of continuous use.

So: gaiters. Yes it's only one item, but they are good.

Stwrt9

WKR
Of all the stuff i own from Kuiu (or have tried which is just about everything except the rain gear, tents and sleeping bags) my absolute favorites are as follows:

1. Attack Pants - I wear them almost daily they are my go to pant for sure and very versatile temps wise.
2. Bino Harness - Offers great protection and is very comfortable
3. 145 zip off bottoms - very comfortable and when you get hot it's nice to just zip them off.
4. Neck Gaiter - Warm and i love the breath-ability.
5. Yukon Gaiters - durable, quiet, and comfortable for a gaiter
6. Guide Jacket - nice jacket although the temps kept me from wearing it much up an till this point. i'm sure it'll see more use come December.
7. Peloton Zip-t Hoody - super comfy and warm
8. Icon Pro 5200/1850 combo - i like this combo as it works for me and the trips/day hunting i do. i wouldn't rule out the 3200 as well!
9. Peloton 240 - Saw a ton of use and cut into the use of my guide jacket.
10. Merino tops - have actually held up better than my First Lite Merino even still i would put it slightly behind in quality and comfort. Good for the price and get a lot of use.