Kuiu Zipoff Base Layers.. Which One?

So I'm looking for zipoff base layers. Got a couple of question after doing a RS search.

1. 3/4 leg or full leg length?
2. Kuiu is what I'm leaning towards do to the zipper and velcro being up top so I might be able to vent if the velcro tabs on the top will hold in place. Lets hear the Pros/Cons of zipper closed at bottm or top for the ones who have them.
3. I'm wanting these for annual trips out west to hike, flyfish, tag along on hunts with son. So I'm thinking no more than 250 wt. What do the experts say for moderate activity?

Thanks as always!

Personally, I don't like the 3/4 length, but that will vary from person to person. Huge fan of the KUIU bottoms, and haven't ever had a problem with the zip location. Velcro seems to hold just fine, only complaint is that if the velcro is offset, the scratchy side can rub on my hip sometimes.

The Peloton 97s have the best warmth to weight ratio and don't take up a lot of space. I have the merino versions as well, and while they might be a bit warmer, they are bulkier and heavier.

OP
S
Thanks for the response. So I run hot when moving so do you suggest something closer to the 100 wt vs the 200-250 wt?

EdP

WKR
I went with 3/4 length because I always have gaiters on and the velcro closure on my Kenetrek gaiters makes a racket coming off. With the 3/4 I can drop my pants to my ankles and take off or put on the extra layer without messing with the gaiters. That's just my situation.

ChrisAU

WKR
I’ll use the Merino 120’s next to skin and then put Peloton 97’s over those when cold.

The numbers are g/sm of fabric, not a warmth rating. The Peloton 97 is multitudes warmer than the Merino 120 or 145, but it’s a fleece vs merino.

I use both the kuiu 145 zip offs, and the peloton 97's. I much prefer the 3/4 length for keeping a layer out of my boots and it makes them easier to just drop trou and zip them off when not needed, and easier to put them on.

I use the 97s the most since they are lighter, dry quicker, and are as warm, if not warmer, than the merino.

Pizza Guy

FNG
I agree with Chris. I prefer merino next to skin and really only a thin layer is necessary. The merino will regulate body temp and the synthetic will pull moisture away. I currently have the 145 but am looking to pick up a pair of the 120s. I prefer the full length but I also prefer a 6" boot so it's not an issue for me to unzip them all of the way.

dtrkyman

WKR
I have the pro merino 200, really nice. Have the full length and was thinking I would like the 3/4 but can not confirm as I do not have them.

Kuiu has the OG zip off bottoms but now there are also offerings from sitka and stone glacier. I have the 97s from kuiu and have used them but i do find myself using the helio bottoms (non-zippered original) from SG when it gets cold, and if SG had the helio zip offs when i was looking, i most likely would have bought the helio zip offs rather than the kuiu 97s.

Just letting you know there are some different options out there now.

OP
S
I went with 3/4 length because I always have gaiters on and the velcro closure on my Kenetrek gaiters makes a racket coming off. With the 3/4 I can drop my pants to my ankles and take off or put on the extra layer without messing with the gaiters. That's just my situation.
Hadn't thought about that. But yes I'm wearing gaiters some of the time as well.

Thanks for the response. So I run hot when moving so do you suggest something closer to the 100 wt vs the 200-250 wt?

I like full length. If hot, they magically zip off, as well as on. :)

Joking. If moving, don't wear them. I'd say thickness depends on when you want to actually use them. If warming during sitting is your goal, medium thickness is good.