Kuiu Zip Off Merino Bottoms - which ones?

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have insights on the zip off base layers from Kuiu? On sale right now so looking to pick some up.

Trying to decide between the 145 and the 200 weight merino.
I currently use icebreaker 200 merino and like them, but I’m not sure if they are equivalent to the 200 from kuiu. Icebreaker calls their 200 “lightweight” whereas most other brands refer to their 200 as “mid weight”. I’ll be using these mainly during elk hunting in September, in Alberta.

Thanks for any input!

TFrank

WKR
Both work well. The 200, when active hunting, doesn’t take much to get too warm fast.

I like the 200s, if you get too warm in September zip them off and go without.

Get both eventually , sure you will use them.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you want the warmest then get the peloton 97, if not then get the 200

t_carlson

WKR
I like the 145s. I have a pair of Peloton 200s that I never use.

The zip-off feature is genius. Total game changer. You'll love it.

ljalberta

WKR
Since I got the 200s a few years back, I haven’t used the 145s. For me, if I want a base layer, I want a warm one. If it’s too hot, the zip offs allow you to pop it off in a few seconds.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I use both. The 145’s get used during elk archery season and warmer or higher exertion trips. The 200s get used in all my later season and colder weather hunts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chocolab

Lil-Rokslider
Icebreaker makes really high quality merino. I have a bunch of it and to me it's every bit as good as anything else from hunting or non-hunting brands. perhaps the biggest difference is that icebreaker tends to be 100% merino, whereas the kuiu stuff is merino with little nylon for durability. IMO. kuiu merino bottoms are all sorts of wonky with sizing, having bought and returned a few different things that didn't remotely fit. YMMV

OP
S

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
Icebreaker makes really high quality merino. I have a bunch of it and to me it's every bit as good as anything else from hunting or non-hunting brands. perhaps the biggest difference is that icebreaker tends to be 100% merino, whereas the kuiu stuff is merino with little nylon for durability. IMO. kuiu merino bottoms are all sorts of wonky with sizing, having bought and returned a few different things that didn't remotely fit. YMMV
I actually currently use icebreaker for my base layers. And I love it. Just wish they had a zip off bottom

The 97s are freakishly warm for how light they are. They're really pretty incredible. They're probably warmer than my 230 weight merino bottoms from first firstlight.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 97s are freakishly warm for how light they are. They're really pretty incredible. They're probably warmer than my 230 weight merino bottoms from first firstlight.
Ya merino isn’t great warmth to weight. I really don’t care for it beyond a wicking layer