Kuiu Yukon rain gear buy again?

klejeski

Lil-Rokslider
Planning a trip to Alaska this September for a moose hunt would you buy Yukon rain gear again for those that have used it in actual rain or would you recommend going another route Sitka first light or ?

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I chose the Kryptek Koldo rain jacket and pants. Have had it the rain and in heavy brush. Worked great. No tears, no wear showing and it has shed rain without leaks. I haven’t tried Kuiu.

I bought the Teton rain gear, then the Yukon. Everyone on my hunt last fall that had Yukon rain gear was dry and happy. Everyone else, except the dude with the Hely Hanson rubber rain coat wanted the Yukon gear.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I spoke to one of my hunting partners who is a huge Kuiu fan. He took the Yukon set on a sheep hunt in Canada last year. Rained very hard. He wore it on horses up the mountain. Was soaked at the top. He switched to Swazi (he had packed as a backup). The guides wore Helly Impertech and a couple other guys with him wore Sitka Stormfront. He and the guides stayed dry the rest of the week. The Sitka guys eventually got wet just as he had with his Yukon set. Before that trip, he said Yukon always worked for him. My takeaway is it might depend on usage. Good luck.

WCS

Lil-Rokslider
Used a set of Yukon rain gear for the last 3 guiding seasons in the Yukon. For the first two years it was bombproof, kept me dry through some downpours and in wet, heavy snow. Last year, it was not so waterproof. First big rain of the season and I was soaked. Kuiu did warranty it, but I ended up using different rain gear for the last 3 hunts of my season. Not something I think I'd buy again. In comparison, I've got a Simms G3 jacket that I've been wearing for 9 years of fishing guiding that still keeps me dry.

fishstu

FNG
Used a set of Yukon rain gear for the last 3 guiding seasons in the Yukon. For the first two years it was bombproof, kept me dry through some downpours and in wet, heavy snow. Last year, it was not so waterproof. First big rain of the season and I was soaked. Kuiu did warranty it, but I ended up using different rain gear for the last 3 hunts of my season. Not something I think I'd buy again. In comparison, I've got a Simms G3 jacket that I've been wearing for 9 years of fishing guiding that still keeps me dry.

Off topic but Simms fishing clothing /gear is the real deal.

AKDoc

WKR
I've got the Yukon jacket and pants, and have used them for the past four years up here. I remote hunt several times a year for a week to three weeks at a time, and they have been excellent for me...no failures of any kind. I do wash them every year (usually after three weeks in the fall), and I make efforts to restore the DWR. The material is strong and never have had a hole punch from brush. The extra layer elbow and knee patches started to peel back around the edges last year, so they are now aqua-sealed around the edges.

When the time does come for me to replace them, I'm doing KUIU Yukon again. The only down-side to them is they are heavy duty, which is good if you're in wet wx and it is persisting, like up here. However, if you're back-packing and may get rain showers that clear-up quickly, then the Yukon stuff is over-kill. There are lighter options for that application that won't add unnecessary weight to your pack.

OP
K

klejeski

Lil-Rokslider
Thankyou everybody for your inputs I greatly appreciate all points of views just trying to see if the price tag is worth it or if the Helly Hansen is the way to go

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I had the original KUIU Yukon rain jacket and pant when it first came out. It worked at shedding water the first few trips but after a few week long trips and a couple washings (using the recommended Nikwax soap) it would get pretty wet in contact areas like the shoulder, waist and butt.
I still got a couple years worth of use out of it and a not so hardcore buddy has them now and likes them.

Sitka has worked well for me and kept it's breathability and water proof ability. I liked the Thunderhead top and bottom, it never let me down. I will be trying out the Sitka Cloudburst this season myself.
It seems rain proof fabrics are getting better every year.

Absolutely. I have 3 sets of Kuiu rain gear (Teton, Chugach, and Yukon), and use the Chugach nor that either of the other two but I wouldn’t hesitate to get another set of the Yukon’s if I needed a little heavier duty rain gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk