Kuiu Yukon gear leaking?

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
Anybody have issues with Kuiu's Yukon gear? I wore it out in a pretty bad storm and was really wet by the end. The fabric wetted out so bad that the inside of the jacket and pants were wet the next morning even though I hung it to dry in the bathroom. It took about 2 hours before the water seemed to be just transferring right through, especially where the back pack straps touched it. The DWR didn't last as long as I thought it would. The gloves where just as bad. My buddy had the same experience and joked that they do a great job of keeping the water trapped on the inside. I don't want this to become a Kuiu bashing thread because I love their gear and use it all the time with great results. However, the first time I used my $800 rain gear set I came back sopping wet and all I can say is thank god this was just a day hunt. Wondering if I just got a lemon or if one inch of rain per day is too much for it? Anybody have experience with this gear?

cocky84

WKR
I do not have yukon i have the chugach nx. i did not buy the yukon because it has the microfleece liner and is breathable. I cannot see how the fleece could not eventually get saturated and get wet. No first hand experience though

JP100

WKR
Interesting...
I have the Chugach and the pants will soak through pretty quick on the lower leg and knee area.
Others I know have had good results from the Yukon.

Weekender

WKR
Maybe a bad set? I would try and warranty them out. I haven't had leaks problems with mine but I know if I did a phone call would be made.

OP
Q

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
Yep. I called and already emailed warranty. I'm just wondering if I jump back into the same set up or if it's an inherent design flaw. Thanks for all the replies everybody.

The only problem I had with the yukon jacket was the zipper leaking. Switched to Sitka and I am regretting it now.

Guys do need to remember that breathable rain gear will have a hard time dealing with sweat when everything is really soaked. DWR's wear out fast in my experience and they need to be maintained like anything else. Pressure points like back pack straps and waist belts or sitting on wet stuff will allow water to soak through quicker . This stuff isn't 100% water proof like rubber.

yama49

Lil-Rokslider
3 seasons on my yukon gear no issues had the chugach but it got wrecked pretty easy. Yukon is much more durable, worth the extra weight. Jmo

I would call also, because you should not get wet.

OP
Q

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu customer service is great! Jacket and pants are under warranty and an exchange or full refund will be issued. Prepaid return postage as well. I like the theory of the gear, being bulletproof and all. Should I get another set and just chalk this up to being a lemon? I wear a Bino harness and was wondering if that could be directing water through the water resistant front zipper? If so is there another bomb proof jacket with a waterproof main zipper? Kryptek Koldo or stormtight perhaps? Any advice would be appreciated.

Obi-wanshinobi

Lil-Rokslider
If you want something like the Yukon, I would check out the Sitka Stormfront set.
Why not try the Chugach?? I had an original Chugach and it was awesome but sold it for the Yukon as I wanted the solid color. My Chugach wasn't bombproof but it was much more durable than I thought it could be.

OP
Q

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
I'm gonna head over to the showroom and check out the Chugash. Isn't it's zipper water resistant too? I'm wondering if putting the Bino harness on the inside of the jacket would help it saturating the main zipper? I've heard good things about the stormfront set but man I thought the Yukon was expensive!!!!

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
First Lite has new stuff that might interest you as well. Keep an eye out for their new 2016 release info.. ;) no need to be in hurry right now. All the 2016 stuff is slowly being unveiled. .. :)

duchntr

WKR
Get the chugach set you'll be happy, best/cheapeast quality rain gear I've found, I've used a few different gore jackets as well.. I am not sure what the long term durability is like on that FL shell as its only a 2.5 layer shell? I would like to hear some reports from guys using it & abusing it for a few seasons,looks good on paper though.

I love my Yukon set. I ran into a problem when I left the zipper on the pants pocket open. It filled with water and eventually soaked into my pants. To be expected for sure. If I leave my pockets zipped I don't have an issue.

Iron Mike

FNG
I went back and forth on the Yukon and Chugach before settling on the latter as I felt the Yukon would be to warm for what I normally do. But it was a close call as I heard of nothing but good stuff about the Yukon. I would think you just got a bad one - happens once in a while with all company's including the higher end ones.
I got to tell you though I have been in some epic rain with my Chugach and it has preformed better then expected. Extremely breathable and has kept me dry.

jherald

WKR
I haven't had any issues with the Yukon and have put it through the paces. I notice with any breathable raingear, if I'm really exerting myself the sweat will build up inside faster than the garment can wick it away, and I'll eventually get wet from the inside out over time.

Kuiu should warranty you on the set.

OP
Q

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
Jumped back into a new Yukon gear set. I'm sure this one will fare better. Thanks for all the good reviews everyone!