KUIU vs FHF Bino Harness

Not my original idea. I will try and see if I can find the site where I got the clips. Think they were like 3 bucks.

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_20130727_220534_910.jpg
    IMG_20130727_220534_910.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_20130727_220516_692.jpg
    IMG_20130727_220516_692.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_20130727_220303_872.jpg
    IMG_20130727_220303_872.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 581
  • IMG_20130727_220408_141.jpg
    IMG_20130727_220408_141.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 569
They have a double backed sticky stuff on the clip but I felt like I was goint to pull the rubber coating off of my rf. The tape you see is black duct tape. I don't know if its helping or not.

Joe

OP
S

solo06

FNG
They have a double backed sticky stuff on the clip but I felt like I was goint to pull the rubber coating off of my rf. The tape you see is black duct tape. I don't know if its helping or not.

Looks like the perfect clip for this purpose. I'm going to order one of those (I also have a Leupold rangefinder). And, it's nice to see that the KUIU raincover can cover the clipped rangefinder as well... can basically eliminate the need for a separate dedicated rangefinder pouch (unless you want a super-secure/protected storage compartment).

Did you try the double backed sticky tape that came with the clip and had it start to fail to stay attached, or did you just not even try it and skip right to the duct tape?

Looks like the perfect clip for this purpose. I'm going to order one of those (I also have a Leupold rangefinder). And, it's nice to see that the KUIU raincover can cover the clipped rangefinder as well... can basically eliminate the need for a separate dedicated rangefinder pouch (unless you want a super-secure/protected storage compartment).

Did you try the double backed sticky tape that came with the clip and had it start to fail to stay attached, or did you just not even try it and skip right to the duct tape?

I put it on and trialed it out... it felt like it was pulling the coating away from the rangefinder body, so i threw the tape on just in case. I feed the buckle on the side of the harness through the rope that is attached to the rangefinder, then if it does fall off, it wont get lost.

As far as using the two, i found the fhf one slightly larger, so when i used my new victory ht 10X42, they went in and out of the pouch somewhat easier. If i folded the lid in like i do with the FHF when not worried about rain etc... they were about as tight as the kuiu. I think that if i got the XL kuiu, it would make getting them in and out failry easier. I tried it with my older nikon monarchs... and it was way nicer in the kuiu, the FHF was too big for them and the lid had to be folded way over.

As far as wearing and carrying your glass while hiking and horseback riding... both were exactly the same. I did start to lope on my horse with the lid off of the KUIU and they slipped up and out. BUt really.. i never get that frisky while hunting. So as far as comfort to carry... i say they are a tie. THat said the fhf gear one seemed to make me sweat more.

It is still taking a bit to get used to the kuiu only bing hooked at the bottom. I think that this will be even less of an issue if i get the larger size because right now with them being a tight fit and not having the top straps, it took a little work to get them into the case easily. so frequent use of binos at this point would go to fhf.... but honestly, i think if i get some time with the kuiu and get the larger size... this will be sixes as well.

over all i like the kuiu system better than fhf, it is more compact, more weather proof, tighter, and much easier to open and close. I did not think i would ever say this... but i think i will likely be keeping the kuiu over the fhf.

i am going on about a 20 mile loop ride again this weekend, and there is a chance of rain, so maybe i will have more to report.

joe

OP
S

solo06

FNG
As far as wearing and carrying your glass while hiking and horseback riding... both were exactly the same. I did start to lope on my horse with the lid off of the KUIU and they slipped up and out. BUt really.. i never get that frisky while hunting. So as far as comfort to carry... i say they are a tie.

over all i like the kuiu system better than fhf, it is more compact, more weather proof, tighter, and much easier to open and close. I did not think i would ever say this... but i think i will likely be keeping the kuiu over the fhf.

What a great review! Thanks for sharing all of these observations, it is very appreciated.

It seems like with the design of the KUIU, it is important to keep the top cover over the binos for rough activity (riding horses, running, or wrestling a grizzly into submission). This would help the top and bottom halves of the system to come apart (top straps attached to binos, bottom straps attached to bottom of pouch). It's the cover secured over the top of the binos that would seem to hold everything together, especially if the included elastic cord in the hood is adjusted so it's not a loose fit. Even if you were to deliberately try to pull the top and bottom straps away from each other, it would seem that it's the cover hanging over/onto the binos in the middle that would hold on, preventing the binos from coming out. But, aside from rough activity, keeping the cover secured over the binos doesn't seem to be necessary for function or comfort while sitting or standing. And, it's easy enough to cover the binos when taking off down the trail, so all of this sounds like a non-issue.

I started this thread with the opinion that I would probably be going with the FHF, and asked for feedback. Thanks to everyone that replied, you've certainly helped to inform my decision a lot... so much that I've now decided to order the KUIU and give it a try. There's still no question I'll be going with the FHF if the KUIU doesn't work out :), but I've been convinced to at least try the KUIU.

This thread was also the first time I've posted on this forum, so I thank you all for a great experience.

I took the Kuiu bino harness to the outdoor range today. I jogged from target to target and it had zero bounce with lid tightened down. Winner! It is making the trip this year. I did not find it to tight either. Very comfortable... While on the flat range it was definitely getting looks.

soooo after further comparison.... I am going to stick with the FHF gear harness until I can find an XL kuiu. The fit and function are great, it is just too hard to put them back in without having to use two hands and looking down. I love everything else, I think as soon as I get the XL I will be all set to go. But until then, fhf will get the nod.

You cannot go wrong with either, and I think that MOST 10X42 binos will fit great in the large (my monarchs fit perfectly.) It is just that the VIctory HT 10X42 are a bit larger than average and they are too tight.

Joe

MattB

WKR
You don't really have to adjust the Kuiu as tightly as the video shows. It helps with keeping the ocular end of the binocs from tipping forward and opening up the lid accidentally, but tightening up the shock cord a bit stops that. If you run the straps a bit looser, there is no need to adjust as you layer up or down. That may not be optimal, but it works. Overall, I like the design. The only minor changes I might suggest would be to connect the mid-section strap a bit higher on the pouch to keep the binocs from tipping forward and adding a flap to the back end of the cover a la the Mad Dog design to keep the flap from falling open without having to tighten up the shock cord. Other than that, it works great.

shmcleod

Lil-Rokslider
Just got my Kuiu last night, and wow, I am impressed. Those guys know what they are doing. The key here is "ultra-light" like they say in their branding. I followed the instructions on the youtube tutorial, and found it to work great. Because the case is so light, it does not need attachments from the neck to keep it from sagging when the binos are removed. It is just light, so the straps around the chest secure it very well. I am very impressed.

I'd like to check out squeekieslayer's set up, but recognize that it would add weight to the case, which then, might sag when binos are removed...

OP
S

solo06

FNG
Since there are some recent posts to this thread, thought I'd provide a quick update on what I ended up with. I actually ordered both the KUIU and FHF, returned both, and found the perfect model from another company... here's why:

Basically, I thought that the bag part of the KUIU was awesome, very simple to use and quiet. But, I'd didn't like the harness system. The top straps are only connected to the binos, and I found that the harness system was only balanced overall and most comfortable when the binos were closed in the bag. If you let the binos hang outside the bag for quick access during intermittent glassing, then the bino weight pulled differently. I'm not saying that it wasn't functional, and this is just purely personal preference, but I thought the KUIU harness system sacrificed a bit of comfort (when the binos weren't fully enclosed and stored in the bag) in favor of a minimalist harness design. I contacted KUIU about this; they politely noted my concerns, but shared that they did not plan on changing their design. For $85, it should be perfect, it wasn't, so it was returned.

The harness system on the FHF was perfect, very comfortable. Top straps attached to the top of the bag (unlike KUIU), as well as separate straps to attach to the binos. So, you could let the binos hang outside the bag or in the bag, and either way the overall harness system stayed perfectly balanced and comfortable. However, I hated the bag portion, especially after trying KUIU. I found the coarse cordura nylon material to be too noisy for me, for hunting purposes. It's such a common complaint that they actually have dedicated advertising on their website now trying to convince people that it's "not too loud." Cordura nylon is extremely tough and durable, but not at all soft or quiet. I wish they'd give up the advertising campaign for cordura and just use a more hunting-appropriate material for their bag portion, like KUIU and others use. I contacted FHF about this; they politely noted my concerns, but shared that they would not change their design/materials. Again, for $95, it should be perfect, it wasn't, so it was returned.

Then, I found the perfect solution: The BinoBro from Oregon Pack Works. It basically has a bag design similar to Kuiu (Oregon Pack Works came out with theirs first), while using a harness system more similar to FHF, and made of a very light-weight, quiet material. They actually have 2 versions of this, the BinoBro and the BinoBro ProHunter, with the ProHunter adding side pockets as well as a zippered bottom compartment. I contacted them because I wondered if it would be possible to have a blend of the 2 models, a BinoBro with the side pockets like their ProHunter, but without the larger zippered bottom compartment... and they quickly accommodated the request! Actually, they sent me all 3 to try! They sent both of their standard models, plus the custom one I inquired about with a note to just keep the one I liked best and return the other 2. That's customer service! As if that wasn't enough, the basic BinoBro was only $40, less than half the cost of either the KUIU or FHF. The only feature I found missing was that the BinoBro only has top straps that attach to the top of the bag, none attaching to the binos. I like top straps also attached to the binos so I can let them hang outside of the bag at times. As a remedy, I just had 2 simple loops of 550 cord sewn onto the top straps (one loop on each side) to serve as anchor points, to which I could attach short straps/cords to the top of the binos (final result similar to the FHF bino attachment straps). A very simple modification that works perfectly, for those that are interested in that feature.

SDHNTR

WKR
This thread cracks me up. The posts like the above are spot on with regard to the shortcomings of both the Kuiu and FHF. And the SAME complaints keep coming up. Again, the above is a testament to how both companies are losing business. SO WHY DON'T THEY LISTEN?

I've worked with a few archery companies and helped with some marketing and in this day and age, Business 101 is to use search engines and find out what people are saying about your stuff! They have to see this...

So tell me FHF, why don't you at least make an option of quieter fabric and a lid that opens the other direction?

And tell me Kuiu, why don't you at least offer the option of an additional neck/shoulder strap to hold the pouch up when the glasses are removed?

Don't be so arrogant as to think your products are perfect when your customers are telling you they are not. These are easy problems to fix!

I've had both, and found these issues to not only be annoying, but also maddening that the respective companies didn't have the sense to address these very obvious issues up front, and worse yet, now after having been made aware of the problems, they still don't fix them!

Manosteel

WKR
What's the weight of the binobro? I bought the kuiu harness last winter during one of their big sales but haven't used it. I just can't justify the wieght over the simple 550 cord, Rick young type harness I have used for years when in the mountains. When I bought the kuiu figured I could use it on the short moose weekend and day hunts not far from home in October.

This thread cracks me up. The posts like the above are spot on with regard to the shortcomings of both the Kuiu and FHF. And the SAME complaints keep coming up. Again, the above is a testament to how both companies are losing business. SO WHY DON'T THEY LISTEN?

I've worked with a few archery companies and helped with some marketing and in this day and age, Business 101 is to use search engines and find out what people are saying about your stuff! They have to see this...

So tell me FHF, why don't you at least make an option of quieter fabric and a lid that opens the other direction?

And tell me Kuiu, why don't you at least offer the option of an additional neck/shoulder strap to hold the pouch up when the glasses are removed?

Don't be so arrogant as to think your products are perfect when your customers are telling you they are not. These are easy problems to fix!

I've had both, and found these issues to not only be annoying, but also maddening that the respective companies didn't have the sense to address these very obvious issues up front, and worse yet, now after having been made aware of the problems, they still don't fix them!

my feelings exactly... I am trying to track down the new eberle one... it may be perfect.

JOe

OP
S

solo06

FNG
What's the weight of the binobro? I bought the kuiu harness last winter during one of their big sales but haven't used it. I just can't justify the wieght over the simple 550 cord, Rick young type harness I have used for years when in the mountains.

I'm not sure what the weight is, but it's not much for what it is. It's constructed of just a single layer of fabric material (website description: "waterproof, burrproof, puncture resistant, tear resistant, and is a quiet fabric").

The KUIU uses thin panels of plastic/foam between the outside shell material and inner liner material to add some structure to the bag portion of the carrier. While this design would add a little more weight over what the BinoBro weighs, it's not too much. Personally, I liked the structure of the KUIU bag a bit more than the BinoBro. With more firmness to the structure, it made it a little easier to open/close one-handed, as well as insert the binos one-handed. But, the BinoBro is still certainly functional. So, on this detail it's a matter of personal preference between a little more structure and weight with the KUIU versus less structure and weight with the BinoBro.

I hear ya on the attractiveness of the light weight Rick Young style of harness. I used the basic bino harness from Crooked Horn, and really liked it, until I upgraded my binos. The new full-size binos were heavier, so they hung much lower and bounced a lot more with the basic Crooked Horn harness... which lead to my search for a non-elastic harness that could also offer a little protection for these new optics. Now, I question the utility/importance of a bag for protection (my old binos survived well through a couple decades of use without a fancy bino harness/bag). And, I just noticed that Crooked Horn has added a Magnum Bino System, which is the same basic design, but with wider straps and heavier elastic for use with heavy binos. Hmmm

shmcleod

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 24038 View attachment 24039 View attachment 24040 View attachment 24041

I saw squeekieslayer's post on adding the range finder, and tried it myself. I did not have very good luck with the clips, and wanted something a little more burly than duck tape. So, I ended up stiching on some 3/4" webbing, with a clip, and attaching my rangefinder case. You cannot see it in the picture, but I also took a page out of the Crooked Horn book, and sewed a magnet to the inside of my range finder case, and the side of my Kuiu case. Perhaps not necessary, but it keeps it from bouncing around.

Some points to highlight regarding concerns on this thread. EVEN WITH THE ADDED WEIGHT of the range finder, the case DOES NOT SAG when I take the binos out. It stays right where it is meant to. I am a relatively guy, not skinny, but no pot belly, and it does just fine. Also, as you can see in the photo, it still fits the Kuiu rain cover,

In terms of weight, functionality, and minimalist design (no extra fabric, bulk, etc.) I think they made the perfect bino case. My one (small) complaint is that debris, twigs, pine needles, etc. get into the case, and you have to choose if you use your lens caps or not. For what it is worth, I say buy this. Cheaper than its comparables, and way better.