Kuiu Verde pattern - What is your experience?

Glendine

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Guys,

As above can you guys please tell me your experiences while using the KUIU Verde pattern?
Basically how effective do you find it as concealment pattern?
The reason I ask because while out hunting wearing Verde I have noticed that deer seem for some reason to “spot me” quicker than when using other camouflage patterns or solid colours. I have particularly noticed this when hunting the crafty Sika deer.

To see if it was just me! I asked a premier hunting guide and he told me he had similar experiences with KUIU Verde but not with KUIU solid colours. I really rate this guy’s opinion as he’s the best sika guide in the business.

NOTE: I am not trying to discredit KUIU garments at all, there gear is fantastic well-made and functional but I am concerned about the effeteness of the Verde pattern.

Regards,
Glendine.

Last edited:
Animals don’t rely on color to pick out danger. It’s mostly smell, movement, and sound. Out of those three, it’s smell and movement that trumps everything else. It only takes one animal in a herd to see one bit of movement to alert all the other eyes. I actually try to avoid wearing camo most of the time.

11boo

WKR
I doubt it is the pattern.
Last week I called in a bull elk to 19 yards and he came in repeatedly over a 20 minute period. I had sparse cover and was wearing a woodland boonie hat, Kuiu verde top and marpat pants.

In addition to the movement comment made by others, the simple step of covering your face is often skipped by hunters. We used to field hunt ducks and geese back before the days of portable blinds. We laid on the ground in the decoys still as can be maybe 1/4 covered by a goose shell and some straw if available. The main thing there was to break up the human outline. We always pieced together camo and earth tones. Different pattern pant, coat, and vest typically.

When it comes to buying new gear, the way I choose between various camo patterns and earth tone solids is strictly cost at the time of purchase.

In addition to the movement comment made by others, the simple step of covering your face is often skipped by hunters. We used to field hunt ducks and geese back before the days of portable blinds. We laid on the ground in the decoys still as can be maybe 1/4 covered by a goose shell and some straw if available. The main thing there was to break up the human outline. We always pieced together camo and earth tones. Different pattern pant, coat, and vest typically.

When it comes to buying new gear, the way I choose between various camo patterns and earth tone solids is strictly cost at the time of purchase.
Probably picked up your movement as others have said, doesn't take much to get busted. I've screwed up more chances than I can count by moving a little too aggressively, or abruptly, no matter what pattern I'm wearing. I try and just ease in, sometimes only moving a couple of feet every 5-10 minutes inside of 200 yards. I am in the camp of mixed patterns, so you don't create a human shaped form of whatever pattern. I use a mix of Kuiu and Sitka patterns, which are fairly similar, and I've found Vias, Verde, and Optifade to all be quite effective sneaking in close. Also, religiously covering my face with a gaiter, and avoiding quick movements is really the key. I've had elk key in on just my eyes at that range, if you can see them , they can see you.

I've found that verde really is superior to vias at filtering out my odors, especially when I wear verde underwear with the activated charcoal then layer with the attacks. This allows me to remain silent but deadly while laying down a thick cloud of what are now odorless farts. You just have to manage the noise, but that can be accomplished if you do your kegel exercises in the off season. Think slow release - Slow release - slow release...

I find that I can pound coffee, eggs & sausage or bacon covered in hot sauce in the morning without risk of alerting my prey thanks to verde. To unleash the full capabilities of the verde pattern you MUST use verde salsa on your eggs and pre-load the night before with some kind of mexican dish doused with salsa verde.

The other issue could be your hat. Many elite hunters on the internet wear flat bill hats to confuse their prey.

OP
Glendine

Glendine

Lil-Rokslider
I've found that verde really is superior to vias at filtering out my odors, especially when I wear verde underwear with the activated charcoal then layer with the attacks. This allows me to remain silent but deadly while laying down a thick cloud of what are now odorless farts. You just have to manage the noise, but that can be accomplished if you do your kegel exercises in the off season. Think slow release - Slow release - slow release...

I find that I can pound coffee, eggs & sausage or bacon covered in hot sauce in the morning without risk of alerting my prey thanks to verde. To unleash the full capabilities of the verde pattern you MUST use verde salsa on your eggs and pre-load the night before with some kind of mexican dish doused with salsa verde.

The other issue could be your hat. Many elite hunters on the internet wear flat bill hats to confuse their prey.
Ok thanks for your reply!

OP
Glendine

Glendine

Lil-Rokslider
I doubt it is the pattern.
Last week I called in a bull elk to 19 yards and he came in repeatedly over a 20 minute period. I had sparse cover and was wearing a woodland boonie hat, Kuiu verde top and marpat pants.
A very different scenario a rutting bull is looking for a rival and pumped

No problems here with hunting experience I’m fully convinced it’s the Verde pattern.

An interesting note is I just spoke a sika hunting guide and his told me that he had similar experiences while using Verde
Interesting, I have no experience with Sika, it may be that they key in on the pattern. Maybe lay it out on the slope/ background in question, get to 100 yards or so away and see what it looks like. Might look blobby, against that background, or be significantly darker or lighter and create a focal point for them to see more easily.

OP
Glendine

Glendine

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting, I have no experience with Sika, it may be that they key in on the pattern. Maybe lay it out on the slope/ background in question, get to 100 yards or so away and see what it looks like. Might look blobby, against that background, or be significantly darker or lighter and create a focal point for them to see more easily.

Thanks, great suggestions!

It would have to be a very pressured area to have much of an impact, but If I had been shot at by a few hunters wearing the same camo pattern I’d wise up to that pattern pretty quick.

It's a great pattern for September here in CO. I'm generally not a fan boy of any one company, but I find I have a good amount of KUIU in Verde 2.0 because of the various sales they run throughout the year.

MNGrouser

FNG
I do as stated the following day I was able to half the distance while ewaring a solid colour.
We have all had busted stalks...ok, maybe just me. I agree with the 99.99% of posters who don't think it has anything to do with the pattern. Based on your sample size, I'd have to throw out all my gear every time I'm busted. The replacement gear would only be as good as the next successful stalk. Get busted? Back to Cabelas for new gear...

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
No problems here with hunting experience I’m fully convinced it’s the Verde pattern.

An interesting note is I just spoke a sika hunting guide and his told me that he had similar experiences while using Verde
A bad carpeneter blames his tools.