Kuiu verde or valo for Colorado elk and muley?

AgentP

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in need of some pants for my upcoming elk hunting in Colorado. The gym I am hunting will either have snow or no snow so I’m unsure what kuiu pattern to go with. I was looking at the verde but next year I am also planning on pulling a mule deer tag so I want to make sure i get a pattern that is able to do that in the plains/open country. My gum for the elk hunt is 2nd season and will be heavily timbered. Is valo good enough in timber? I know it will be great for when I get into different terrains for mule deer.

If you’re that worried about camo ur not looking at the big picture. Elk and deer only see certain colors, camo colors are typically not in their spectrum so you can have green, orange, pink, brown camo and it’s all gonna look like greys to them…. Blue is a hot color in their spectrum. Basically all the elk/deer are ginna see is a broken up pattern of greys mainly. Chuck Adams killed tons of elk in a red plaid coat…. You need to worry more about nose and movement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Columbia lightweight pants with the zipoff legs. They are olive green. Invest that $$ in your footwear and binos instead!

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
Get what you like! I love the Vias pattern and wear that exclusively for elk and mulies regardless of the time of year.

Jaquomo

WKR
This is the least of your concerns. Get whatever is on sale, and whatever will be comfortable in snow or 70 degree bluebird weather.

I honestly don’t even think it through what pattern I wear or if it’s even camo. Sitka works best for me so that’s what I wear. I’m way more concerned with fit, performance, and comfort. I promise that no pattern will improve or hurt your success.

TurkeyReaper69

Lil-Rokslider
Young man, you have a lot to learn. For starters, are you planning on hunting Forest Service, BLM, or private lands? BLM lands I typically associate with more Pinyon Juniper and sagebrush habitat... meaning Kuiu Valo is the way to go. Forest Service property I always lean more towards the Vias, it really hides you in dark timber and dead fall, although if hunting anywhere near a burn scar I'd recommend the Verde pattern for versatility. Private lands or State Wildlife Areas the drab olive or Verde would be my go to, just due to varying circumstances.

Special considerations: While the above are generally okay rules to follow there are some exceptions. In Wilderness Areas or Wilderness Study Areas you should mismatch your outer layer pants/jacket, this will pay off as the game in WAs and WSAs are more privy to their surrounding due to the lack of human intervention in forestry practices. The last thing to consider, if hunting above treeline, I would avoid Kuiu patterns all together, this is where your Stone Glacier clothing comes into play.

Dave0317

WKR
Camo is definitely not needed. But if it was needed, none of KUIU patterns would be my first choice. Valo is probably their best Colorado pattern if you are limited to Kuiu.

First Lite is better, Sitka Sub Alpine is good as well. Any company that uses camo developed by “Veil” is going to be a decent option. They understand camo better than most companies. Cabelas strata works well in lots of wooded environments.

But really, for most hunting, the camo is irrelevant. If you like it, wear it though.

Edit to add:
I’ve got to double down on my “camo is irrelevant” statement. I noticed you said second season. Just a friendly reminder, you will be wearing orange. The camo is seriously irrelevant. It is marginally relevant for most bow hunters

Last edited:
The only reason I wear camo pants is because I bought three pairs of Cabelas pants 15-20 years ago, and like the plastic floating around the ocean, those things will be here long after I’m dead and gone.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
Camo pants may be the least important of any camo you might wear. Anything works.
If sitting/crouching the critter is not seeing your pants. If walking no camo will prevent them from spotting you. If not moving you will not be seen. Anbd that is for archery (close range). For 2nd rifle season with snow camo is of zero concern, for me anyway. Half the time I am wearing whatever outer layer protects me from wet/cold camo or not.

Only reason I buy camo pants is for the technical aspects of them (fabric, fit and features)

Young man, you have a lot to learn. For starters, are you planning on hunting Forest Service, BLM, or private lands? BLM lands I typically associate with more Pinyon Juniper and sagebrush habitat... meaning Kuiu Valo is the way to go. Forest Service property I always lean more towards the Vias, it really hides you in dark timber and dead fall, although if hunting anywhere near a burn scar I'd recommend the Verde pattern for versatility. Private lands or State Wildlife Areas the drab olive or Verde would be my go to, just due to varying circumstances.

Special considerations: While the above are generally okay rules to follow there are some exceptions. In Wilderness Areas or Wilderness Study Areas you should mismatch your outer layer pants/jacket, this will pay off as the game in WAs and WSAs are more privy to their surrounding due to the lack of human intervention in forestry practices. The last thing to consider, if hunting above treeline, I would avoid Kuiu patterns all together, this is where your Stone Glacier clothing comes into play.
Weird opening statement. Yes, he has things to learn. His post strikes me as him trying to do just that. Maybe I’m misreading it but that came across as heavily condescending.

CMF

WKR
I started getting verde before valo was an option, but I like my milder layers in verde for early season whitetail and turkey. I got my colder layers like puffy in valo because it's usually browner when it's colder. I think either is fine for elk and deer

shwacker

Lil-Rokslider
Don't mind all the haters, as we used to call them BITD. Camo is fun. I personally like the valo over the verde, as green doesn't always blend. But in dark timber or PJ forest, verde does a great job. Also it hides you from other hunters! Who are jealous of your camo.

Last edited: