Kuiu Rain Gear - Chugach vs Kutana

TheViking

WKR
Thoughts between the two? Backpack hunter looking to get upgrade my rain gear. I have Cabelas Space Rain now and it serves its purpose for the occasional rain shower.

Want something durable and light - the Chugach is a proven winner from Kuiu, Kutana storm shell is new(ish). Similar weights, can’t really tell what the difference is between them. 2-wat stretchnon the Kutana and 4-way stretch on the Chugach.

Worth it to spend more for the Kutana?

Not interested in other brands, please do not recommend.

I got the Chugahoogah (spelling?) top and bottom and used it daily last summer in a 2 week backpacking trip in NM. Performed fantastically. Light, a little stretch for movement, packs down to almost nothing, durable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LightFoot

WKR
My Chugach performed flawlessly over 8 days in AK. I cannot say it packs down very small, though. Keep in mind I have the XL pants and Jacket. Easily fit into an out pack pocket, though.

The Chugach is abrasion resistant. I had the Yukon jacket and the Teton Rain set. The Teton felt like it would not stand up to brush and branches, but it did pack up super tight. The Yukon was great and tough, I just got too fat for a Large. The Chugach is a comfortable in between.

I would expect the Kutana to be between the Yukon and Chugach for durability/warmth. Unless you are breaking brush late season on the west coast or Alaska, I would go with Chugach.

Good luck.

>>>----JAKE----->

FURMAN

WKR
The kutana is meant to bridge the gap between the chugach and the Yukon. It will be heavier duty than the chugach but weigh less than the Yukon. The chugach will breath better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FURMAN

WKR
The Chugach is for high activity hunts where it may rain occasionally. The Kutana is for hunts where you need the extra protection and durability, will not be as active, and don't want the extra weight of the Yukon. The Yukon is intended for those who practically live in the rain and are active in tough vegetation where sacrificing weight is worth it.

The Chugach is for high activity hunts where it may rain occasionally. The Kutana is for hunts where you need the extra protection and durability, will not be as active, and don't want the extra weight of the Yukon. The Yukon is intended for those who practically live in the rain and are active in tough vegetation where sacrificing weight is worth it.

I think you need to give the Chugach rain gear a little more credit. I’ve spent multiple rainy days in a row wearing it on Kodiak, and it has performed flawlessly. I’ve also spent multiple rainy days in a row on Kodiak and it wetted out, but that was in a storm that dumped the most rain, in a 24 hour period, that Kodiak had ever had (since they have been keeping records). I don’t have any experience with the Kutana line, but I have all their other lines of rain gear (actually 2 sets of the Chugach), and I use the Chugach probably 90% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
I think you need to give the Chugach rain gear a little more credit. I’ve spent multiple rainy days in a row wearing it on Kodiak, and it has performed flawlessly. I’ve also spent multiple rainy days in a row on Kodiak and it wetted out, but that was in a storm that dumped the most rain, in a 24 hour period, that Kodiak had ever had (since they have been keeping records). I don’t have any experience with the Kutana line, but I have all their other lines of rain gear (actually 2 sets of the Chugach), and I use the Chugach probably 90% of the time.

I made zero mention of performance so I could not be more confused about your statement. I typed what the intent of the garments was, nothing more, nothing less.

If the OP tells us his hunting style, areas, and precipitation expectations we could recommend one but I would say most likely he could figure it out from my post.

I took the Kutana on my Dall sheep hunt for review purposes and it performed flawlessly but I think for me I would rather have one Chugach jacket for exactly what it is intended for and one Yukon jacket for exactly what it was intended for. Having said that the Kutana is great at filling the very small void.

Sorry to jack thread OP but I am also considering these two jackets. What are the fit differences for those who have had or tried both?

FURMAN

WKR
I find the fit to be identical. I wear large. It fits the same as the Sitka. I find both the Sitka and Kuiu to fit smaller than First Lite. I had to down size in everything FL.

I to am following. Going on a Dall sheep hunt in 2021. Will be looking at these two myself When I go to the DSC convention in a few weeks. Kuiu will have their complete lineup there.
leaning towards the Chugach right now.

I did watch a video on YouTube about a design issue on the Kutana having the pockets stitching sewn right into the zipper seam causing a possible leak issue so I’m leaning Chugach as well.

I made zero mention of performance so I could not be more confused about your statement. I typed what the intent of the garments was, nothing more, nothing less.
It sounds/feels like I may have offended you, if that is the case I apologize, as that was not my intent. When I said “give the Chugach line a little more credit”, what I meant was that I think it is plenty well suited for heavy rains, and just not the occasional rain. I didn’t realize that when Kuiu developed the Chugach line, the intent was just for the occasional rain, as I feel it’s much more storm worthy than that.

FURMAN

WKR
It sounds/feels like I may have offended you, if that is the case I apologize, as that was not my intent. When I said “give the Chugach line a little more credit”, what I meant was that I think it is plenty well suited for heavy rains, and just not the occasional rain. I didn’t realize that when Kuiu developed the Chugach line, the intent was just for the occasional rain, as I feel it’s much more storm worthy than that.

I am not offended at all. I think you are one of few on this site that can actually attest to the ability for rain gear to not wet out(assumption on my part due to your hunting location). I can only go so far on a rain gear review as I have never spent more than a few days in pouring rain at a time. As far as water resistance specs all three garments have the same. It really is the other features/intended purposes that sets them apart. I personally feel 90% of guys out there would be well suited with the Northridge but I would recommend the Chugach unless you need something very specific. The closest I have been to wetting out rain gear was marching through vegetation in a non stop down pour in NZ with the Kuiu ultra lite pants( don't remember name) they no longer make. They were great for keeping rain off you but not as great at having wet vegetation constantly trying to push water through.

Chugach is cheaper than the kutana, no? I would go chugach even though I've never worn it or own it. Have the ultra nx and it works fine here in coastal wa. Not torn it yet in 2 years use. It does wet out with heavy rain and brush contact. Not sure how heavy the Yukon is, like the gaitors or is there more to the jacket and pants?

Chugach performs admirably in most conditions, the only time I've had the pants wet out was during wet and heavy snow/fog/rain combo in Washington.

I ripped my jacket in not one, not two, but three places running through a heavy burn area after a buck. Switched that out to the Yukon and haven't looked back. I even use it for Duck hunting here in Washington, have never had it wet out after ~3 years of use, no DWR re-applications yet.

Only downside to the Yukon is it takes up a lot of pack space.

If you all could only have one rain shell to do it all including regular wear around town which would you choose?

FURMAN

WKR
If you all could only have one rain shell to do it all including regular wear around town which would you choose?

Yukon for me no doubt. Having said that I’ll always have two. I want a lightweight for backcountry hunts where I don’t really expect rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kwin1221

FNG
I too am looking into both lines... I have the chugach jacket and like it. Don’t have pants and looking to get some. The kutana peaks my interest for the abrasion resistance. However, both seem to get accolades here.

Trekker

FNG
Can anyone comment on the Kutana rain pant durability and dry time? Is it noticeably better then the chugach? I need a new rain pant for about 50% wet brush blacktail and moose hunting and 50% alpine mountain hunting use, for here in british columbia. Im willing to sacrifice the breath-ability and dump heat through the side zips if the durability and dry time is better as advertised. Thank you.