Stone Glacier M5 vs Kuiu Kutana storm shell

cck

FNG
Anybody have any experience with the stone glacier m5 vs the kuiu Kutana storm shell. Pretty comparable weight and specs. Just curious if anybody has found one to be better than the other.

Outwest

WKR
This past fall, I bought the kutana and my father in law had the m5. We experienced a couple of absolute soakers and both stayed dry, standing side by side. I also noticed that we both weren’t quick to shed the jackets when it let up. I even wore the Kutana a few times in lieu of a soft shell and was very comfortable.

I don’t think you can go wrong with either, durability and fit is pretty much 6’s. One of the aspects I really like about the kutana is the chest pockets, I find myself using them a lot.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My M5 never worked very well for me. It wetted out quickly and the pockets were always wet to the point I’d get standing water in them. I spent some cold nights out with that jacket.

I don't like the pants much. The silly snap to keep the zipper tab in place never stays snapped. The Velcro crotch zipper is pointless.

I guess they do keep dry though.

I agree with @thinhorn_AK that the fabric seems to wet out too easily. Haven't had the pocket puddle issue yet

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t had any issues with my M5 jacket or pants yet. Comparing to my Arcteryx Beta LTs isnt quite fair but they dont last as long before wetting out nor are they as durable. However for something that costs 30-40% less they do a great job. I’ve worn them brush beating quite a bit and the only hole the pants have received was from a moose antler. With the constant brushing against saturated willows and what not while moose hunting I have not gotten wet with them once. They are my go to for early season where I wont need to put them over a puffy.

sr80

WKR
Ive always wondered about the M5 rain gear, it looks to soak up the water in the outer layer. But seems like everyone says they stay dry inside. Is that the consensus? Ive been wanting to grab an M5 jacket for quite sometime

Ive always wondered about the M5 rain gear, it looks to soak up the water in the outer layer. But seems like everyone says they stay dry inside. Is that the consensus? Ive been wanting to grab an M5 jacket for quite sometime

It is good. I'd definitely get the jacket if you want something super durable to me last a long time. You'll stay dry unless you rip the fabric or exert too hard and start sweating.

The fabric wetting out just means it won't be as breathable. I've only experienced it where there's constant rubbing on the fabric. Like if you're wearing a pack or the lower portion of the pants that hit brush a lot.

aaronoto

Lil-Rokslider

That's mainly because the DWR coating is not great from the factory and stops beading water pretty quickly. It'll still keep you dry, but the fabric does get noticeably "soaked" and as mentioned above, results in the jacket becoming less breathable. I need to try retreating mine this fall, it's really the only complaint I have with the jacket, but all jackets will do it eventually.

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't worn the M5, but my 2 cents on the Kutana Stormshell is that they are very durable. I find the elastic waist and belt system very comfortable wearing over other layers. They keep you dry and I haven't noticed them wetting out. I have worn my Kutana pants brush busting and walking through standing water nearly knee deep in cattails with breaking through 1/2" ice and had zero wear and zero leakage. The thigh pockets are nice to have also. As a jacket I prefer the Yukon and Chugach 4 way stretch feel vs the Kutana. As a pant though the Kutanas are best I've found. I wear Yukon top now and Kutana bottom.

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
Wasn’t too happy with my m5 pants. Got soaked last year on a morning hunt. Contacted SG, they sent me a new pair free of charge. Took them out this fall, rained all day. Killed an elk, once again sucked to be soaked from the waist down. I’ll try treating them, if they leak again I’ll look to a different pant

LA Hunter

FNG
Looks like the M5 Pants were discontinued:

sr80

WKR
Looks like the M5 Pants were discontinued:

they updated them with pockets